Author Topic: Bleeding brakes on 99 Blazer?  (Read 3997 times)

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
Bleeding brakes on 99 Blazer?
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
So, I had to replace the drivers caliper on my '99 Blazer, and when I try to bleed the brakes hardly any fluid comes out of the pedal.  Is there any tricks or anything to this?  I've done other cars no problem, but for some reason this fucking thing won't bleed.

I took it for a test drive to see if it was drivable, and when I returned both my brakes smelled bad, and both my wheels were warm to the touch.  I also noticed that when I apply the brakes the truck pulls to the right.  Could the caliper I just put on be defective?  If it pulls to the right, doesn't that mean the left one isn't working?  But if thats the case then why did the drivers wheel get hot?

Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Bleeding brakes on 99 Blazer?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
Are you using the buddy method or a vacuum pump to bleed?

If you're not getting much fluid out, it's possible the flexible brake line at the wheel is clogged. I had that issue on my wife's old Stratus.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
Are you using the buddy method or a vacuum pump to bleed?

If you're not getting much fluid out, it's possible the flexible brake line at the wheel is clogged. I had that issue on my wife's old Stratus.

Both haha!  But yeah - donin' a little research I'm starting to think the same thing.  Still kinda confused as to why my wheel would get hot though. 
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
The wheel is getting hot because the caliper is locked up. I don't recommend driving it until you can get it properly bled.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
There are multiple ways to bleed brakes, or to diagnose a brake line issue.

1. Get a helper. Open the bleeder, have him push the pedal to the floor, close the bleeder, have him release the pedal. Repeat until fluid comes out, checking master cylinder fluid level often. Once fluid starts coming out, revert to the other way, having him pump the brakes with the bleeder closed, hold down, open bleeder, close bleeder, release brake. Repeat process until all air bubbles are expelled.

2. If by yourself, take off reservoir cap, place catch pan under caliper, open bleeder, and have a beer. Once fluid starts flowing, not dripping, close bleeder, top off reservoir and replace cap, pump brakes, remove cap, open bleeder and if done right any remaining air will come out.

If neither of these methods work, something else is going on.

Your right front caliper may be locked up.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
If you're smelling hot brakes you have a caliper that's not releasing pressure.

When you put them on did you accidentally get the line twisted? Since you say you can't get fluid out of it I'm thinking you've either twisted the line around or you've got a bad brake line.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Yeah Nick, did both ways, neither worked.  I'm bleeding the new Caliper I put on, which is the drivers side.

But yeah, pretty sure I have a shitty line - was just trying to make sure I didn't have to do something special because of the ABS block or what not.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Like Ling said, make sure you didn't twist the hose. Lots of other possibilities, hard to diagnose without seeing the car but brake systems are pretty straight forward.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
There are multiple ways to bleed brakes, or to diagnose a brake line issue.

1. Get a helper. Open the bleeder, have him push the pedal to the floor, close the bleeder, have him release the pedal. Repeat until fluid comes out, checking master cylinder fluid level often. Once fluid starts coming out, revert to the other way, having him pump the brakes with the bleeder closed, hold down, open bleeder, close bleeder, release brake. Repeat process until all air bubbles are expelled.

2. If by yourself, take off reservoir cap, place catch pan under caliper, open bleeder, and have a beer. Once fluid starts flowing, not dripping, close bleeder, top off reservoir and replace cap, pump brakes, remove cap, open bleeder and if done right any remaining air will come out.

If neither of these methods work, something else is going on.

Your right front caliper may be locked up.

They sell capture devices for situations like this so you don't have fluid streaming over stuff.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
They sell capture devices for situations like this so you don't have fluid streaming over stuff.

Yeah, but meh... unless your fluid is fresh, I consider bleeding brakes a good time to flush the system anyway. Might cost a bit more in brake fluid, but having fresh, clean, brake fluid instead of old broken down fluid is always good.

Just my opinion.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
Yeah, but meh... unless your fluid is fresh, I consider bleeding brakes a good time to flush the system anyway. Might cost a bit more in brake fluid, but having fresh, clean, brake fluid instead of old broken down fluid is always good.

Just my opinion.

I'm not saying not to bleed.  I'm saying there are neater ways to do it :lol:  Autozone sells this little device that has a hose that hooks to a bottle and captures the fluid as it comes out.  That way it's not streaming all over your axle, calipers, etc.  Because that stuff will eventually end up on the road.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
I'm not saying not to bleed.  I'm saying there are neater ways to do it :lol:  Autozone sells this little device that has a hose that hooks to a bottle and captures the fluid as it comes out.  That way it's not streaming all over your axle, calipers, etc.  Because that stuff will eventually end up on the road.

Yeah I know what you're saying, I'm still thinking in a shop sort of mind frame where we either use our automated bleeding machine, or let it drain to pans on the floor. Minimal mess on the vehicle itself if set up right (strategically placed absorbent mats) and what does get on the car washes away with brake clean easily.

Doing it at home, yeah, you'll probably need to be more mindful.