Author Topic: 2TB RAID0 Issues  (Read 2299 times)

Scuba

• My Website
2TB RAID0 Issues
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
I recently purchased two 2TB Seagate Barracuda's. I plan to use them in a RAID0 fashion, but am having quite the issue. For starters, here are my computer specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
MSI 870A-G54 mobo
640W Antec Power Supply
Sapphire Radeon HD7870
12 GB DDR3
320GB Seagate Barracuda as my OS drive
Windows 7 Home Premium

I recently added the RAM and the video card. I want to add these 2 larger drives in a RAID0 fashion and was initially have problems with the second of the 2 drives just showing up at all in my disk management program. I troubleshot that to find out that my SATA slot 3 is apparently garbage. Not a big deal to me, I have a 250GB SSD on its way in the mail, so either that drive takes the last slot, or I lose the current 320GB Barracuda, pending I can fix this RAID0 issue.

Anyways, after I finally got all of my hard drives to show up in the disk management I went ahead and rick clicked on one of them, hit "New Striped volume" followed the wizard, once the wizard was "finished" and it started to actually format the drive(s), it sits for a few minutes and then pops up with this error: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." I have done both the quick format, and the not quick format. Both give the same issue.

I have restarted the system a couple times, all my cables are secure. (I initially thought the power supply jacks weren't working properly but had since troubleshot that that is not the case...) I just cannot figure out what the issue is.

Thanks for the help guys.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
Re: 2TB RAID0 Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »
Did you run a HDD diagnostic to make sure you didn't get a bad drive?

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
Did you run a HDD diagnostic to make sure you didn't get a bad drive?
I have the Seagate software SeaTools that seems to show that everything is fine with the short drive self test.  I got one of them to format to just a 2tb drive and the other one wont format as many times as I try it.  Maybe it is a bad drive...  I'm currently running the SeaTools long fix test, maybe that will tell me if I got a bad drive.

What HDD Diagnostic software do you use?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
You can't format it? That's obviously a big problem. Could be the drive, could be the connection at the board. I would swap the SATA port for those two drives. Swap the known good port to the possibly bad drive. Might as well swap the power connections too but if you can see the drive in BIOS or Windows, that's not the issue. If you still can't format it, the problem is clearly with the drive.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:41:45 PM by Kalgorn »

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »
I have the Seagate software SeaTools that seems to show that everything is fine with the short drive self test.  I got one of them to format to just a 2tb drive and the other one wont format as many times as I try it.  Maybe it is a bad drive...  I'm currently running the SeaTools long fix test, maybe that will tell me if I got a bad drive.

What HDD Diagnostic software do you use?

SeaTools is pretty good. HDTune is supposed to be good as well. I have to use PC Tools (I think it's PC Tools..) at work and it seems ok.

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
BIOS and now all the tools can see it, but none of them can format it.  I guess I'll call up Seagate tomorrow and try to get a replacement drive.  Fuckin annoying, but for the deal I got it for on newegg I suppose I can only complain so much.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »
How long has it been? If it's within 30 days, you might consider going through Newegg instead of Seagate. Would likely be easier and faster as long as you're within their return window.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Scuba

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »
How long has it been? If it's within 30 days, you might consider going through Newegg instead of Seagate. Would likely be easier and faster as long as you're within their return window.
I received them this weekend.  I ran a long fix test on them both over night and they both passed the test, but it still won't format one of the disks.  One disk is formatted, the other will not fucking do it.  I'll go through newegg and send it back.