Author Topic: "Affluenza"  (Read 4650 times)

AirForceOne

"Affluenza"
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/justice/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

16yo Ethan Couch steals beer with his friends at a Wal Mart and get sloshed to the tune of a .24 BAC.

Holly and Shelby Boyles and Brian Jennings stop along the road to help Breanna Mitchell change a flat tire. 

Couch slams his Silverado into the four, killing them all in a haze of twisted metal and glass.  He maims his two friends in the truck, one of which seems to be a vegetable at this point.

Couch is arrested and charged with intoxicated manslaughter or the like.  He is found guilty, and sentenced to 10 years probation.  Why?

"Affluenza", or a newly coined phrase for kids that grow up with fortune and whose parents set no boundaries.  Basically this kid is walking after killing four people because he's rich.

Discuss.  My two cents, this case makes me disgusted to be involved in the criminal justice system.  The judge felt as though treatment was better than incarceration, which is bull since four people died and he's on his way to a $450,000 substance abuse treatment program.

Nava

• Goddamn Hinge-Heads
Re: "Affluenza"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »
From what I've read, if they would've given him jail time he would've been eligible for early release.

With the 10 years probabation if he fucks up once he has to serve full-term.

10 Years is still fucking nothing though.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »
Treatment at his age will likely have a more positive out come than sending him to the Pen and letting him become a professional scumbag. However, he should be in intensive in patient treatment for 18-24 months, then a transition into a halfway house instead of back home to mommy and daddy, make him maintain employment there and while on probation, along with almost daily drug and alcohol testing. 10 years is a joke but hopefully instead of 4 people dying and another becoming worthless, maybe they can turn his spoiled ass into a productive citizen....16 is awful young to destroy someone's life, it's not like it would bring anybody back from the dead.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

AirForceOne

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »
Treatment at his age will likely have a more positive out come than sending him to the Pen and letting him become a professional scumbag. However, he should be in intensive in patient treatment for 18-24 months, then a transition into a halfway house instead of back home to mommy and daddy, make him maintain employment there and while on probation, along with almost daily drug and alcohol testing. 10 years is a joke but hopefully instead of 4 people dying and another becoming worthless, maybe they can turn his spoiled ass into a productive citizen....16 is awful young to destroy someone's life, it's not like it would bring anybody back from the dead.

I agree to an extent but further research has shown that this was not Couch's first arrest.  More like the 6th, and all were alcohol or DUI related including a court appearance a few weeks before the crash. 

Interestingly, the same judge oversaw a case in 2012 in which a 14yo punched a man in the face.  The man fell down and struck his head, and subsequently died.  He was sentenced to 10 years in detention, obviously being transferred to prison once he is of age.  I'm trying to find more info on this case before I jump to conclusions.

In any event, a defense of "I'm too rich to know better" is horse shit.  Bearing this in mind, can every person from poverty claim that "I'm so poor I didn't know any better?"  That would be more plausible in my mind.  I have no ill will towards Couch or the judge.  I don't judge others.  But, I worry about the message this sends out to the other rich kids around the nation.  Not that long ago I got called out to house party at 4AM after a kid took a piss on a neighbor's vehicle.  When we got to the house, several kids ran including a pill dealer.  We did not make any arrests or issue any NTAs, we just called parents.  One kid, 15yo, so drunk he couldn't even stand up, we called EMS for.  His mom got there first and dog cussed me and my Sarge for "waking me up at this hour over this shit.  He's not drunk you're just stupid" and so forth.  Her diarrhea of the mouth almost got her locked up for child neglect, as she initially refused EMS to allow transport.  He was completely unresponsive when the ambulance took off.  Of the six parents that came out, two were actually pissed, one was indifferent (she's a troublemaker anyway), and the homeowner tried to act like she was victim and accused the other kids of being burglars and vandals.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
I just think if they made rehab and a halfway house experience after as restrictive as possible, there's a better chance of rehabbing him than jail, but yeah I agree "I'm too rich" is a horseshit excuse.

His name was Meatywand.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
UPDATE:
He got 10 years probation and his parent's have to pay a 2 million dollar fine....

His name was Meatywand.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
his parent's have to pay a 2 million dollar fine....

I will never understand this.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
Because he's a minor? Or was when the accident occurred? I dunno...but hey, at least somebody is suffering other than the victims...

His name was Meatywand.

1fastII

• KWEH?!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:49:04 AM »
Moral of the story: don't have rich kids. They will kill people and cost you $2,000,000.

Turd Ferguson

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 12:15:27 AM »
So can I go out and do something stupid and claim in court that I have opposite affluenza? Or that i'm affluenza deficient?

James

• Meh
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:31 AM »
Being a poor is punishment enough.
Four boxes protect liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

AirForceOne

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
Update to this incident.  Would you believe, he's not meeting the terms of his probation and has been partying and drinking since his sentencing? 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/16/us/texas-affluenza-drunken-driving-teen-missing/index.html

speedy_2

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
What does his parents paying $2mil have to do with anything? 

Kid kills four people
Gets 10 year Probation
Government gets $2mill

Which on of these does not belong?

Ridiculous.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »
What does his parents paying $2mil have to do with anything? 

Kid kills four people
Gets 10 year Probation
Government gets $2mill

Which on of these does not belong?

Ridiculous.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2 mil went to the families of the victims.

That being said, the douche needs to sit in jail now.

speedy_2

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the 2 mil went to the families of the victims.

That being said, the douche needs to sit in jail now.

Maybe so. Wonder how much of it did.  And now he can't be found?  Lovely justice system we have. 

AJ

• over-handed shit-knuckle
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
Don't look now, but the little turd burglar fled the country.

Justice is blind, huh? It's got one eye, and it's brown and sphincter shaped.
 :police:
shit knockknockknock waaaaaaaa
872232hdfewbswn kwqopi13yehbd;