Author Topic: Brake Issues  (Read 4204 times)

Dewman

• Global Moderator
Brake Issues
« on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
I am thinking about taking the car to the shop since i dont have much time to work on my car but i want some ideas on what to look for in case its something i can fix in a short amount of time.

My brakes seem to be acting different almost every time i hit the pedal, sometimes they are stiff but very responsive, other times they are squishy and the last option that is the worst is the pedal feels like there is a brick under it. The car still stops then but i almost have to stand on the pedal for it to stop. The car is not throwing any ABS or CEL lights. I have checked the brake booster and it seems to be holding vac. The fluid was a tad bit low but nothing too bad so i added a little more to it. Quick glance at the pads and those seem to be decent (needs a brake job over winter but overall not that bad) Manifold is down tight and all hoses are on tight and car fires on all 8. Car does have an exhaust leak but has had that all summer and this issue has only came about within the past 2 weeks.

Any ideas?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Brake Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »
That's pretty strange. Can you replicate the symptoms by driving a certain way? I mean, can you do something that makes the pedal soft, do something that makes it stiff, etc?

Sounds like a fairly complicated problem but my immediate guess would be that your pads might not be seated correctly, or that your calipers (or drums if you don't have 4 wheel disc) are mechanically defective.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
nope its random

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
4 wheel disc, or rear drums?

Inspect your calipers, pads, shoes, drum hardware and wheel cylinders. Just make sure everything looks like it's functioning properly. That'd be a good place to start, at least.. even a visual inspection can rule out the more obvious problems, like a fucking up caliper or something.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
4 wheel disk. This is what i get for getting cought up on bills and workings overtime lol

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
Make sure you slide pins aren't rusted/sticking. That's where I would start. My old Monte Carlo had an issue where the pins were completely seized, the pedal was hard, and only one shoe would touch the rotor.

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
Bleed in fresh fluid.

Verify you don't have a caliper sticking at random intervals.
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
got it back from the mechanic, told me everything is fine except for now i only have 4 inches of vac. I am gonna tear into it this weekend and check it out

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
Too much cam?
You didn't go big if I recall.

Small leak when the intake went on maybe?
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
the intake is coming off tomorrow its only the really only option. The car has been driven for almost 2 summers without a brake issue but now its showing up.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
4 inches of vaccuum? In what way? Steady? Drops? what?

Put a vacuum gauge on it, you will be able to get a rough idea of what's wrong. Before the age of computers, a vacuum gauge and a dwell tach were essential tools in the mechanic's toolbox....

Here's a handy dandy chart from the days of carburetors:

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.