Author Topic: [Video Game] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)  (Read 2021 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
[Video Game] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)
« on: November 09, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
"Good kill." A phrase you hear often.

Call of Duty has not grown up one bit since the popularity explosion of the series starting with the original Modern Warfare. It is, quite blatantly, still very much squarely aimed at an adolescent male testosterone-laden egotistical power-trip fantasy, and no sooner than you can finish uttering the sentence "there's no way the next game will sell more than the current one", hundreds of millions of pre-orders tear through local retailers as if some sort of virtual Black Friday.

Do not fail to understand this; CoD: Ghosts is as immature as it gets. It truly feels like a game designed for children, but augmented with some swearing, blood and a mature theme or two. It's like a PG13 version of a G.I. Joe cartoon.

I was hopeful that Infinity Ward might take a different approach to their story telling, given that they've started a new series under the Call of Duty banner, but quite literally within mere SECONDS after seeing actual in-game graphics for the first time, all hell breaks loose and you're running through explosions and craziness. The game then pulls back 15 minutes into the past and puts you in control of an Astronaut at a space station, where you get to see first-hand what's causing all of the chaos - some enemy Astronauts try to commit Grand-Theft-Spacestation and break in, shooting and killing most of the crew and apparently activating the giant laser weapon that the station is built around and setting the phazers to "kill all 'Muricans". You get into a zero-gravity fire-fight (which is nowhere near as cool as it sounds, much like MOST of the ideas that were advertised) and try to destroy the weapon before all is lost. An explosion sends you hurling through space, and then...

Then you go back down to the ground, in control of the character you started as, and you run some more before an explosion knocks you on your ass and you're rescued in what is, for my money, one of the most original and inspired pieces of work I've ever seen in a cut scene.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E82ZkHTiVU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E82ZkHTiVU</a>

Oh, wait.

From there on, it's just... Call of Duty, as it always has been. Follow the corridor, hide when the game forces you to hide, shoots a bunch of dudes when you're supposed to, trigger cut scene/character swap.

The only real change to the game play is the addition of a dog which you control through some sort of neural implant. Using the dog isn't BAD game play, mind you, but essentially it boils down to getting him close to an enemy without alerting anyone, and pressing a button to engage a canned animation of the dog ripping the guy's throat out.

The resolution sucks, the lack of anti-aliasing is painful...

The animations are GOD-awful in the day where most games have contextual animations. Meaning, when a player is running on a sloped surface, they run like normal. They bump off of protruding objects and doorways and just kind of scoot over, never breaking their running animation. When laying prone on a stair case and shooting, the bullets fly out of the barrel at an angle, since the game doesn't adjust the animation for the angle the player is aiming at while prone. I would say that a majority of the animations are reused from the previous games, if not all of them.

But you don't play CoD for the single player, do you? I hope not, because if so, you PROBABLY have some sort of alien parasite infecting your brain.

Where Call of Duty shines is it's multiplayer, a mode that remains, at it's core, unchanged since CoD 4.

It's remarkable just how much it feels like the original game, despite all of the additions of perks, new weapons, options and game modes. Those changes have done nothing to alter the core game play - it still remains an unbalanced mess, a simple test of reflex and twitch aiming.

Being primarily a PC gamer, I feel it's a great injustice to charge full-game price for a few extra game modes and some pointless customization options. Maybe this is where a separate CoD subscription would come in handy... they could, instead of releasing a new game every year, just update the existing game with the new options and roll it into the monthly charges. There, you'd have a game that evolved over time, with the disliked elements removed/adjusted, and the liked elements fleshed out more thoroughly - much like Team Fortress 2.

I admit, the game modes are fun, but they were also fun when I played them in Counter-Strike: Source.

The "infected" mode is a DIRECT rip-off of the Zombie Mod for CS and CS:S, wherein one random player starts the round as an infected and must stab other players to infect them, while they run and hide and try to kill the infected. Not a change. Not a single god damned change between the two, it is as direct a rip off as it gets.

Search and Destroy is identical to DE maps from CS, in which one team starts with the bomb and must plant it at a designated location, and the other team must stop them before it's planted, or defuse it before time runs out. Again, other than being transplanted into a different game, not a single thing has changed between the modes.

Search and Rescue is actually fun. It's the same as Search and Destroy, except that when you kill a player, you must also collect their dropped dog-tags. If a teammate of the person you killed collects their tags, that person is reinserted into the game. It makes for interesting scenarios where you kill a player and then watch over his body to shoot anyone who comes to rescue him. It also creates interesting stand-offs where you see your own teammates tags on the ground, but can't decide if it's being watched by the enemy or not. Should you run and try to save your teammate, or wait for an enemy to collect the tags to score a kill?

As fun as it is, it reminds me of something... oh, that's right, Battlefield, in which the medic class must revived killed players to prevent your team's spawn tickets from running out.

I WILL give credit where it's due, however, and say that at least Search and Rescue has been changed in some way so that it's not identical to the mode that inspired it.

There's also a "king of the hill" mode ripped directly from Battlefield where you must gain control of the majority of the control points on a map.

I'm not going to bother discussing the rest of the modes, but rest assured that most of them are at least partial rip-offs from the games that CoD often claims to be superior to.

Is it fun? Yeah, it is. It's also incredibly frustrating. The wealth of options is almost too much to deal with if you're jumping into the game late. It takes far too long to hit your stride because FINDING that stride is a pain staking act of balancing and playing with different set ups until you find the one that works with your play style. What makes it even MORE frustrating is that most of the options are locked from the get-go so you can't even experiment with your set up until you've spent hours upon hours grinding for enough points to unlock everything.

This is where Battlefield has always been superior - predefined player classes with optional, unlockable upgrades. Each player class has a defined role in the match, and the upgrades contribute to that role.

Team play? Forget it. It's incredibly rare to see a team actually working together. Yes, collecting ally tags in Search and Rescue to revive that player could be seen as a co-operative action, but it's almost always something you do as a self-centered act, thanks to the points you achieve. You don't NEED your team to win like you do in Battlefield, and that fact alone mitigates any attempt at trying to make CoD a team-play style game.

At it's core, CoD is a very well done multiplayer experience... but it is very overrated and it tends to be true that most non-player's assumptions about the game and it's fan-base are correct.

7/10

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: [Video Game] Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
I only play Infinity Ward Cock of Doody games because Treyarch is absolute SHIT and I actually do play them for the retarded single player campaigns, but I still have yet to even play MW3....but this just sounds....painful...
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
I only play Infinity Ward Cock of Doody games because Treyarch is absolute SHIT and I actually do play them for the retarded single player campaigns, but I still have yet to even play MW3....but this just sounds....painful...

Do what I did and watch the campaign on your choice of video streaming website.

I assure you that you won't be missing much by not playing it.

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
But...but...I want to do the QTE that throws the knife into the bad guy's chest!

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Just a couple of more things to add...

The flash bangs are almost completely useless. You can still see clearly enough after having a flash bang explode in your FACE to kill the person who was attempting to ambush you. I've done it, and it's been done to me many, many times.

When your flash bang "blinds" someone, their character - on YOUR screen - puts an arm up over their eyes and kind of hunches over while limping away. But that's just what YOU see... that's not what actually happens. In reality, when you get hit with a flash bang, there's a bright flash, the screen gets all wobbly and you walk slower... but you can still aim normally. That means that your immediately reaction to getting a flash bang thrown in your direction is to go prone and wait for the person who threw it to come rushing in, thinking he was going to score an easy kill, and then you just shoot him because he won't be able to draw on you fast enough. This makes flash bangs almost completely useless.

The ONLY think that redeems them is the perk where anyone hit with explosive damage of any kind is highlighted L4D style for a few seconds. That comes in handy because the people who normally would be blind are instead painted on your screen long enough to give you a chance to run in and mop them up. But even then they can still get the drop on you.

Having the 3rd person animation be different than the first person animation, though, is a downright crime in an FPS.

Another issue, something I mentioned in the review, is the prone animation on stair cases. Basically, to describe this in more detail, imagine a guy laying prone on a stair case so his body is at a 45 degree angle to the ground. Since they couldn't be assed to animate the prone position beyond crawling, his gun is parallel to his body - and stays that way, always.

So, if you run into a room and you see the guy laying on the stairwell, his gun pointed at the ground at a 45 degree angle, HE CAN STILL SHOOT YOU. Yes, the bullets will leave his gun ALSO at a 45 degree angle from the muzzle. It's like they hit the end of the barrel and take a sharp turn to come toward you.

So, even though it looks like he's aiming at the ground, he's actually aiming at you.

This is supposed to be the "next gen" Call of Duty? Are you fucking kidding me?

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
Quit fucking playing it then if it bothers you so much :lol: that's what I usually do.

His name was Meatywand.