Author Topic: Car audio  (Read 2705 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Car audio
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
The previous owner of my Talon had a system in the car. He also replaced the rear speakers. When he sold the car, he ripped out the system, slapped the (broken) stock radio back in, and left the rear speakers. I installed a cheap aftermarket radio but the rear speakers don't work. There is/was some purple speaker wire heading towards the back of the car that is/was probably for the rear speakers. I've already pulled some pieces of it out as I work on the car.

I don't know shit about audio. What do I need to do to get the rear speakers working again? They're some sort of Kenwood speakers that I know nothing about. Do I just need to get speaker wire run back there and wire that to the rear speaker inputs on the radio wiring harness? Could it possibly be that simple?

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: Car audio
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
Yeah it's probably jsut the case of the wires not being run correctly. Car audio is pretty simple.. guy had to be a real dunce to screw it up like that.

NovaDK13

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
My ranger the speaker wires were twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape to say the least I had to fix the guys handy work. I was fairly big into to car audio about ten years ago and from the head units and speakers I have replaced  A LOT of people don't know how to wire stuff, electrical tape and twisting wires is a lot of it thing I hated most was when they hacked up the factory harness for the head unit an adapter kit is like ten bucks screw that harness up. Check both ends of speaker wire first and go from there its not super hard to route new wire if you have to just do a little planning ahead of time.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »
Yeah it's that simple if you're not dealing with amps or anything... Just run wires under the carpet from speaker to stereo. It's even easier with an automatic wire stripper and the right crimp connectors... Took me an hour to redo all the speaker wire last winter in the Geo  :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
Awesome. I wasn't sure if there were speakers that a standard stereo couldn't work with. I know enough to get in trouble but not much about specifics. :lol:

I already ripped part of the speaker wire out because it looked like shit (purple wtf) and it wasn't run very well. I'm going to cut myself a couple lengths of speaker wire when I go to work tomorrow so I can get this shit working. It's nice to at least be able to play some music but only having front speakers sucks. :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
Ehhhh I've seen purple before....its really just the outer coating on the wire, as long as its the right gauge you should be fine. Only way speakers wouldn't work hooked straight to the radio would be if they HAD to have power to them to function and you needed an amp...and I really don't think that's an issue to you start getting into the higher end stuff. I've been thinking about redo'ing the speakers in my Jeep just out of a compulsion to do it...but the stock stuff sounds pretty damn good so I can't really justify spending the money :lol:
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
I'm aware of how the color works. :lol: It just looked ridiculous because you could see it sticking out in various places. The guy was truly a turd.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
I'm aware of how the color works. :lol: It just looked ridiculous because you could see it sticking out in various places. The guy was truly a turd.
Oh I figured you did but some people flip their shit if its not straight red and black :lol:
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:09 AM »
As long as they're car audio speakers they'll will be fine.. I put some speakers I got free from a surround sound in a Corolla I used to have it they lasted a week before they blew, I wasn't even paying them loud  :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »
Ahh, ghetto wiring. Found this behind the rear trim panel next to the seat. This is the speaker wire attached to the rear speaker. It was going to be too much work to actually pull the rear speaker out so I took the tape off that wire, cut the ends off, and wire my speaker wire to it but I actually used electrical tape and a couple zipties to make sure it won't flex.

Needless to say, both rear speakers work now. :lol: