Author Topic: Fun while it lasted I guess...  (Read 3828 times)

Dewman

• Global Moderator
Fun while it lasted I guess...
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
2 months ago I started what I though was the entry level position that would work into my dream job. I was hired on as a marketing coordinator for a local state University. The working environment is great but the pay and the hours suck. I was willing to sacrifice the last two things in order to get my foot in the door. Its only been 2 months and I realize now how wrong I was. I can only work 29 hours a week so the university doesn't classify me as "full time".... Not a huge deal except when your boss comes to you and says "I know this job cannot be done in the normal hours but i need you to work the extra hours to get the stuff done even though i cant pay you directly for them"

what is her plan to go about this!?!?
Lie on my time card every week and only write down 29 hours. Keep track of all the hours extra I work and she will add those to a paycheck down the road so HR doesn't find out..... You need time off for a appointment take 2 hours of your extra time to fill in the hours.... but you need to work an extra 2 hours over the next day to make up the work you missed....

She keeps trying to make it sound like she is helping me by letting me build up this time so i can use it on holidays when the school is closed.... I don't need her to act as a banker for my money I can budget my own money knowing there will be some weeks i don't get paid as much if any. She is too well connected throughout the school and if I go to HR it will only end bad for me. The secretaries that work for me see the shit she puts me through and they tell me they see the pain but there is nothing I can do.

Next month I get to work a weekend event for a total close to 50 hours that week but get to put straight time hours in the "pot"

I am on a mad dash to find a new job ASAP so i cant cut my ties with this job as peacefully as possible.

Maverick

• Beast Within
Re: Fun while it lasted I guess...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:17:59 AM »
Maybe blow the whistle on her while on your way out?

Dat shit is illegal, mayne.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:18:58 AM »
  You can absolutely do something about it... If it was actually comp time maybe you could play with it, but this bitch is straight fucking you. It's a state university. Your complaint doesn't have to go to the university, but right to the state labor board. State's don't like lawsuits of unfair labor practices. Usually the problem gets solved or there is a nice little hush settlement in your future.
You skeeted all over her birth control? Thats fucking cold dude :lol: +REP

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
  You can absolutely do something about it... If it was actually comp time maybe you could play with it, but this bitch is straight fucking you. It's a state university. Your complaint doesn't have to go to the university, but right to the state labor board. State's don't like lawsuits of unfair labor practices. Usually the problem gets solved or there is a nice little hush settlement in your future.

What this good dude said.

Get involved.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
ACADEMIC DEGENERACY
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
ACADEMIC DEGENERACY

This brave woman is fighting the patriarchy one slave at a time.

Check your privilege.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
This brave woman is fighting the patriarchy one slave at a time.

Check your privilege.
Dewman is such terrible CIS Scum.

His name was Meatywand.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »
I am going to go in Monday and talk to her first thing. Tell her that i cannot work the extra hours unless i am paid for them in that week. If she doesn't want to do that then its up to her if she wants to keep me but I will not accrue this extra time.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
She's already been chucking you over, I still think you need to approach the labor board, and possibly record your conversation with her as evidence.

His name was Meatywand.

orangeLJ

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
Obviously things there are different, but its pretty commonplace here in Aus.

Even worse when you are on a salary... I can't even count the amount of hours I've worked (put it this way, I've never had a full blown holiday....I took my work laptop on my honeymoon.... Marketing Manager Lyfe yo)

Weekends, commute, night work, late meetings, going to events outside of regular hours etc.

Its just part of the territory.

A system like yours can work pretty well, sure you have to put in extra hours, but thats how starting at the bottom works.... you work your way up by showing that you have the commitment to do whatever it takes to get shit done. That gets you noticed.

playing the "I'm not paid to do that" or "I'll only do it if I get paid" card is a one way ticket to a nowhere career.....

Thats my opinion anyway, I'm 25 and a marketing manager for a multi franchise dealer group, manage 6 staff, I busted my balls for zero reward for lots of years to get here.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »
Ehhhh this is different...yeah being salaried will sometimes mean working extra for no extra pay, but she's straight screwing him over it seems. Capping someone's hours like that is straight BS.

His name was Meatywand.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 11:12:36 PM »
When you're hourly you get paid for what you work, that's just how it is in the states. Working off the clock is a serious problem and can get you written up or even fired at most jobs.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:48:11 AM »
  Orange, there is a major difference between being a salaried worker and what is going on here. The key words for this is Full time. Any salaried position is considered full time and protected by certain legal rights and laws. Yes the salary can suck and the hours can be well over your typical 40 hr workweek, but that as you said is agreed to when you sign and there are still compensations required  when you leave, either severance if they cut your position or let you go, or having to prove legally that you caused a detriment to the company to fire you without compensation.

The way he is working now as a part timer, this bitch can "bank" 150-200 hours of time and just cut him loose and say we no longer require that part time position. No compensation, no reason. Benefits and legal protections are not there because part time is straight hourly rate without a salary contract or in most cases any kind of medical or retirement considerations. Labor laws play very wide with part time vs full time.

Typical Problems

(1) Failure to record all hours actually worked to include time spent working before or after the shift. (2) Shorting of hours by using terms such as down time or rain delay. (3) Failure to compensate for meal breaks where the employee is not completely relieved of all duties to enjoy uninterrupted time for the meal. (4) "Banking" of overtime hours or payment of overtime in the form of "comp time". (5) Failure to combine the hours worked for overtime purposes by an employee in more than one job classification for the same employer within the same workweek. (6) Failure to segregate and pay overtime hours on a workweek basis when employees are paid on a bi-weekly or semi-monthly basis. (7) Failure to pay for travel from shop to work-site and back.

This comes into the same area as chinese overtime and very much opens up lawsuits when proven.
You skeeted all over her birth control? Thats fucking cold dude :lol: +REP

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
When salaried, you work 40 hours.  If you don't get all your work done, that's on you.  If you finish it early, the company still has to pay you for the 40 hours.

When I was salary before the merge, we were always approved for voluntary overtime on a comp time payback that we used at our discretion.  The key there is voluntary and our discretion.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
My Dad pays himself a salary...but he easily works 50-60 hours a week...same with our registered surveyor and other engineers, its rare they JUST work 40 hours just because that's the nature of the beast during certain times of the year.

His name was Meatywand.