Author Topic: [Movie] Gravity  (Read 1562 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
[Movie] Gravity
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
Gravity is a 2013 movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron (Y Tu Mama Tambien, Children of Men) and starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. In the film, Clooney and Bullock are astronauts aboard STS151, completing a repair mission with the Hubble Space Telescope. Mid-mission, space junk collides with their orbiter and sends them both flying into the depths of space.

I will not elaborate further on the plot as to avoid spoilers. The plot, on its surface, is thin.  However, when you look back on the movie you begin to realize the different themes it explores and the way it approaches them. Gravity is not just a pretty movie about space, but a movie about Sisyphean struggles, certainty, and evolution.

The first thing that will strike you about this movie is the sound...or lack thereof. The first 5 minutes or so of the movie is nearly silent to emphasize the vacuum of space. After that, all you get is a subdued soundtrack and dialogue. The dialogue all felt natural and the characters 100% believable.

The visuals in Gravity are stunning. This is one you NEED to see in theater. I saw it in 2D, but I imagine the 3D showing would be spectacular. The wide shots of earth, especially during sunrise over Egypt, were breathtaking.

What grips you the most about this movie though is the sheer suspense of the whole ordeal. I have *never* felt such suspense in a movie. By the end, my hands were sweaty and my foot had fallen asleep because I was clinched up so tight in my seat. There was a period where I don't believe I blinked for quite a few minutes. Every single scene of Gravity has a purpose, and every scene pushes you further to the edge of your seat.

Go see this movie. Now. This is the year's best.

10/10 there is nothing I would change.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJHRF6RlTQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJHRF6RlTQ</a>

1fastII

• KWEH?!
Re: [Movie] Gravity
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
It shows you how easily shit can go seriously wrong in space.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
It embellished a bit, but yeah.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
Just saw this tonight and yes, your review is spot on. It did, at times, seem just a little bit like "Final Destination IN SPACE what with the consistent series of shit going absolutely terribly wrong, but honestly if you pay close enough attention, they took great care into ensuring that problems aren't just coming up out of nowhere - the entire movie is basically one giant chain reaction.

Excellent, excellent movie.

EDIT: Also wanted to say something about the use of "first person POV"... it was extremely well done, probably the closest a movie has ever come to make you truly feel like you are there.

Movies have tried it in the past, but these scenes were so intimate with the surroundings that you almost felt like you were the one climbing around and desperately grasping for something - anything to hold onto. And I saw the movie in 2D!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:44:20 PM by 00XJ »