Author Topic: Modifying my truck for next year's race  (Read 394 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Modifying my truck for next year's race
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
So, I learned a few things from the race last Friday.

1, I need to stiffen the rear suspension. It got pretty bouncy the few times I went through the grass, to the point where the tires were actually leaving the ground and slowing me down.

2, I need to lower the front end so my bumper is more at level with the tires of the other vehicles. I got a pretty good hit on a truck like mine but his tire survived because his bed side took most of the impact. If I can get a bit lower, I'll stand a better chance to curl under the bed of any trucks I hit, like happened to me:

Thankfully it didn't damage the rim and I was able to mount a spare before the next event.

3, I need to reinforce the front end. I can't turn it into a tank, but I need to keep this from happening again:

Another couple of hits and the radiator would've been pushed into the fan. I can pull that all back out, but I need to stiffen it up. I have a pretty good idea on how to do that, but suggestions are welcome.

4, I want to make it faster/more apt to get the fuck moving when I need to. The 4.3 actually did really well, I was surprised how quick it actually was... I had no trouble keeping up and/or passing the other guys on the track. The downfall was the transmission... I couldn't manually shift because it just didn't take the gear I put it in until it was too late anyway, and once I got that flat tire it kept trying to upshift to keep traction.

Can you swap in a non-electronic TH350 and mate it up to a completely computerized engine? This is a 95 Silverado...

5, I'd like to change the rear gears out, but I'd have to do it on the cheap.. any other direct-swap rear ends I should look out for in the junk yard?

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
Re: Modifying my truck for next year's race
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
Would it be possible to give the truck a manual valve body and a ratchet-shifter?

It'd probably end up being more money than you want to spend, but it doesn't hurt to suggest.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:59:01 AM by revolt015 »

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

AirForceOne

Re: Modifying my truck for next year's race
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
I just saw your post about wanting to swap to a TH350.  You can do that in the throttle body trucks, just make sure your kickdown cable is set up right.