Author Topic: Church Collapses...  (Read 1854 times)

FrameScrape

Church Collapses...
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »
a sign of the apocalypse...
http://centralny.ynn.com/content/top_stories/512246/collapsed-church-was-in-process-of-being-sold/

this happened out near Rammstein4Ever.
OSWEGO, N.Y. -- This is all that is left of the former St. Louis Church in Oswego. After partially collapsing, the fire department demolished the abandoned building late Sunday night. City officials believe this weekend's weather is to blame for what happened.

"The significant rain event that we had in the last three days, three or four inches of rain, probably was the straw that broke the camel's back," said Code Enforcement Director Neal Smith.

The Syracuse Catholic Diocese owns the church. Even though it has been vacant for years, the diocese says it was inspected annually and called Sunday's collapse shocking.

"We certainly knew of water damage, some painting that kind of thing for being closed for ten years. But we had no information of any risk of collapse. I think it's shocking to the people who have been in the building, who have seen the structure of the building that this happened," said Syracuse Catholic Diocese Spokesperson Danielle Cummings.

"Thank God nobody was hurt. Miraculously with Harborfest happening right in this park and concerts going on and everything how nobody was on that sidewalk is an obvious blessing. Whether it's the church's last detail or whatever," said Oswego Fire Department Chief Jeff McCrobie.

The collapse comes at a time when an arts group was looking to purchase the building and turn it into a performing arts center. Now the Oswego Arts Collaborative is wondering what to do next.

"We're homeless and we're looking for an arts facility and we don't have a target anymore," said Oswego Arts Collaborative President Allen Bjorkman.

"We don't know what will be done with the property. I think our first priority is to make sure that it's cleaned up and that we have taken everything into consideration of material removal, et cetera. Once that's done we'll be able to work out the use of the property," said Cummings.

Given the location of the church and timing of the collapse, many can't help but feel lucky it wasn't a whole lot worse.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: Church Collapses...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:14:32 AM »
A steeple here fell on a dude in car and damn near killed him, and they still haven't replaced the steeple...shit looks dumb...
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:21 AM »
Yeah, only a few blocks from me... the damn place was an eye sore.

It's current condition.

FrameScrape

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:20:09 AM »
Yeah they said it was basically abandoned for the last 10 years...