Author Topic: Anyone messed with dual climate control systems?  (Read 2610 times)

ling427ttvette

Anyone messed with dual climate control systems?
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
05 Monte Carlo, all I know right now is that the passenger side vents are not "working" with the a/c on. This either means no air, or hot air I am assuming. I can't look at it until Friday to diagnose it. She had a problem like this before, the guy made it work.. and then in the winter time no heat came out and he made it work. I am assuming he moved the blend door around and called it good, and charged them for new parts.

I have never messed with one of these systems, but I assume there are two blend doors for both sides, with individual motors for each door. I am assuming the motor is bad or weak, or as I have noticed is common on a lot of GM's, the connector might be burned up or not making a good connection.

I figure I will bring a volt meter to try and get a reading, but I don't know what kind of readings I need to be seeing. Sure, I could test the other blend door but who's to say it's working up to spec?

Long shot.. but anyone messed with this setup on one of these cars? Will I be ripping the dash off the car or can I access this from the bottom/through the glove box?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:07:42 PM by ling427ttvette »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Anyone messed with dual climate control systems?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
There is a blend door actuator for each individual side. On my girlfriend's Grand Prix I had to remove the glove box completely to get to the passenger side one. The driver's side one required removing the knee panel, laying on my back and cramming my hands way up inside.

It IS possible that the connector has burned up. It wasn't but a few months after I fixed her car that the blend doors stopped working again and now hot air comes out constantly.

The design fucking sucks and uses cheap ass parts that almost always fail. All I can say is good luck. It's a fucking head ache.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
Ok, I have found there is no power to the passenger side motor. The motor is good, I tested it on the driver side which still works normal. My belief is that its in the control panel, but I want to diagnose further because that control panel is over $300. Nick, do you or a tech in your shop know what I need to do to diagnose the slider switch for the temperature?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
Pass side fan motor, or blend door actuator? Test the connector to the motor/actuator with a test light, if no power, test the connector to the control head. Also try palming the control head a bit, sometimes they just need a good whack.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »
Blend door actuator. Ill give that a shot, didn't know if there was a better way to do it or not.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
Tapped on the control panel and it worked. Replaced it and all is well.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Yep, I should've recommended the ol' "smack it a bit" first :lol:

My girlfriend called me once while she was driving and said half her dash lights were out (she meant IP) so i told her just to smack it. She didn't believe me until it worked :lol:

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »
Yep, I should've recommended the ol' "smack it a bit" first :lol:

My girlfriend called me once while she was driving and said half her dash lights were out (she meant IP) so i told her just to smack it. She didn't believe me until it worked :lol:

Psh.  I carry a hammer in my Jeep for just such occasions.