Author Topic: [Car Audio] Pioneer TS-W254R 10" Subwoofer  (Read 1944 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
[Car Audio] Pioneer TS-W254R 10" Subwoofer
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »
I've always been a minor audiophile. I do extensive research before I purchase any kind of sound electronics. Having said that, I should add that I'm also pretty damn cheap. Resident audio turd Wicho schooled me in inexpensive car audio a couple years ago.

My Mazda6 came stock with an 8" subwoofer connected to an amp of diminutive power. The 6x8 speakers in the front doors produce more punch than the sub in the back deck, and I finally got tired of it last week. I wanted a cheap sub/amp combo so I ordered the Pioneer with an "1100 watt" Boss amp. The pair cost about $90 together. The amp I'm fairly unimpressed with, but the sub is truly glorious for $45.

The build quality on this, for $45 is ridiculous. The composite woofer and urethane surround seem to be made of very nice material..I have no doubts the cone will last for quite some time. The clarity of this woofer is just incredible. Pioneer rates the response as 20-220hz, and I'd believe it'll hit every bit of it. It does get a little quiet on the low end, but you can follow a bass line with it so nicely with rock or jazz.

I popped in one of my favorite albums on the way home today (Breaking Benjamin's "We are Not Alone") and could hear every one of the quick-hitting bass drum kicks.  With the input level and volume control adjusted properly, it's not overbearing and really adds to the soundstage in the car.

I'm very satisfied with this thing for $45. Eventually I may upgrade to a 12 to get more low-end response, but man I love the crispness this thing adds. 

10/10

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: [Car Audio] Pioneer TS-W254R 10" Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
I used to have an 8" powered Kicker sub in my center console of my Jeep...that thing was a fucking beast, but it was like 175 bucks just for the sub. I eventually got bored with it and tossed 2 10" Memphis Audios I had laying in the garage in the back :lol:
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:14:21 PM »
When I rolled in the X-90 I had Sony Xplod 1200 watt amp and 12" sub.... That was obnoxious and I have no idea if it sounded decent :lol:

MadFairlane

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
Years ago a mate and I put a pair of 15" Kickers in the back of his Suzuki swift (think Geo Metro?).

It was... loud... No SQ, but it was loud lol.

Used to bounce the rear wiper 5 inches off the hatch glass hahaha
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes