Author Topic: 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport  (Read 10100 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »

UPDATE 4/7/2015:

EDIT: 6/23/2015

Did the fan clutch mod.  It now has the fan clutch out of a mid to late 90's Grand Cherokee to help with cooling.

Update 8/19/2018:

Decided to be lazy and get diff covers that have drain plugs for my XJ.  I also went with Lube Locker gaskets so I don't have to constantly peel off crap to put the diff cover back on when I inspect the diff (every other fluid change).  So now I just have to drain and fill like oil.  YEAH FOR LAZINESS!!!

Update 10/10/2018:

JKS Quicker disconnects, new Alpine front speakers, put new shoes on it (BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2), new headliner.

Also, sister was saying the AC doesn't get cold, just cool.  Turns out there was about half a pound too much R134 in it.  The gauges on the fill bottles are, apparently, highly inaccurate.  Seriously cold now...like, your ears start to hurt level of cold.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 10:21:44 AM by Onyx Dragon »

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
Nice score dude....I'm jelly.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
Nearly identical to mine. Looks great, appears to be very clean inside, too!

How do you like it so far?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
Nearly identical to mine. Looks great, appears to be very clean inside, too!

How do you like it so far?

Better since I got the tires aired up from low 20's :P  Exhaust seems louder, but that could be because I had no insulation or noise dampening inside, so I heard the trans and transfer case a lot on my other one :lol:  Trans shifter is a little far up, but not a big deal since I use it once to go to reverse, once to go to drive, and once to park.  Due to the different door handles and pass side airbag, it's got less room than my 95 as well.  I like how the back seat lays down if you pull the switch on one side, unlike mine which requires both be pulled.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »
I like how the back seat lays down if you pull the switch on one side, unlike mine which requires both be pulled.

It does? Mine  must be fuckin broken then :lol:

It's honestly surprising to me just how small the 97+ XJ's really are inside. They look big until you actually try to use them for large vehicle type things. Mine fits me perfectly, like a tailored suit, but I couldn't do a road trip with friends. It DOES make an excellent camping vehicle when my girlfriend and I go out for a weekend though.

So here's what I've learned since I've owned mine, and the info may or may not be beneficial to you:

-The neutral safety switch gets wonky over time due to dirt. You can either deal with the idea of holding the shifter forward while you turn the key from time to time (happens to me maybe like 3 times a month), or take it apart and clean it and put fresh di-electric grease on it.

-As i mentioned before, if you're experiencing power window/speaker issues, direct your attention to the wires leading from the drivers door to the body. Yes, even your right rear window can be affected by the wire leading to the master switch.

-My death wobble was caused by unevenly worn BFG All-Terrains and a very SLIGHTLY worn drivers side wheel hub. Just keep that in mind if you ever get DW, before you go spending big bucks trying to fix it.

-The bottoms of the doors and the rockers under the plastic scuff plates in the door jambs seem to be the first areas to rust, followed shortly thereafter by the area under the gas nozzle.

-If you ever get the "NO BUS" message on your instrument cluster, just trying cleaning up the connector and pressing it in good and tight. I haven't had that yet but as I understand it's very common and usually just means that the connector has become a bit loose.

-If you get a "CLUNK" or "THUD" occasionally when you release the brake pedal from a stopped position, check out the slip yoke. When the grease wears out, it gets sticky and that's what causes the clunk. Cleaning off the grease and putting new grease on cures that pretty quick.

-If you have the original muffler, it'll probably come apart inside at some point if it hasn't already.

-Again, like I said, the seat fabric is designed to be removable (most easily on the rear seat's bottom portion) and is apparently machine-washable, although a garden hose and some drying time worked amazingly well on mine.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
It does? Mine  must be fuckin broken then :lol:

It's honestly surprising to me just how small the 97+ XJ's really are inside. They look big until you actually try to use them for large vehicle type things. Mine fits me perfectly, like a tailored suit, but I couldn't do a road trip with friends. It DOES make an excellent camping vehicle when my girlfriend and I go out for a weekend though.

So here's what I've learned since I've owned mine, and the info may or may not be beneficial to you:

-The neutral safety switch gets wonky over time due to dirt. You can either deal with the idea of holding the shifter forward while you turn the key from time to time (happens to me maybe like 3 times a month), or take it apart and clean it and put fresh di-electric grease on it.

-As i mentioned before, if you're experiencing power window/speaker issues, direct your attention to the wires leading from the drivers door to the body. Yes, even your right rear window can be affected by the wire leading to the master switch.

-My death wobble was caused by unevenly worn BFG All-Terrains and a very SLIGHTLY worn drivers side wheel hub. Just keep that in mind if you ever get DW, before you go spending big bucks trying to fix it.

-The bottoms of the doors and the rockers under the plastic scuff plates in the door jambs seem to be the first areas to rust, followed shortly thereafter by the area under the gas nozzle.

-If you ever get the "NO BUS" message on your instrument cluster, just trying cleaning up the connector and pressing it in good and tight. I haven't had that yet but as I understand it's very common and usually just means that the connector has become a bit loose.

-If you get a "CLUNK" or "THUD" occasionally when you release the brake pedal from a stopped position, check out the slip yoke. When the grease wears out, it gets sticky and that's what causes the clunk. Cleaning off the grease and putting new grease on cures that pretty quick.

-If you have the original muffler, it'll probably come apart inside at some point if it hasn't already.

-Again, like I said, the seat fabric is designed to be removable (most easily on the rear seat's bottom portion) and is apparently machine-washable, although a garden hose and some drying time worked amazingly well on mine.

You do realize that I had an XJ before you, right? :lol:  Most of those problems are the same, actually.  Some things are different, like the seat fabric, but most of those things transfer over (except the death wobble, that can be a variety of things :) )  My death wobble was because my brother had old ass retreads on from different manufacturers and sizes, and one broke a belt in the tire...plus the original suspension at around 275k in mileage. 

What I find most amusing is that my last XJ didn't have insulation, sound deadening, or carpet inside.  I could hear the trans, the transfer case, the engine...this one has carpet, sound deadening, and insulation, so I hear all the creaks and thunks and it makes me wonder if mine had all those :lol:

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »
I wasn't sure just how much actually carried over from the first generation to the second honestly so I was just throwing that info out there.

Just how loud is your exhaust? I can hear mine with the windows down quite easily but it's by no means loud. I also tend to notice creaks and groans a lot... if your lift is an RC kit then that's probably the reason why. Their leaf packs and add-a-leaf kit are just shit. I'm ok with the shocks and coil springs but I'll definitely be buying leaf packs from another vendor at some point in the very near future.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:53:17 PM »
I wasn't sure just how much actually carried over from the first generation to the second honestly so I was just throwing that info out there.

Just how loud is your exhaust? I can hear mine with the windows down quite easily but it's by no means loud. I also tend to notice creaks and groans a lot... if your lift is an RC kit then that's probably the reason why. Their leaf packs and add-a-leaf kit are just shit. I'm ok with the shocks and coil springs but I'll definitely be buying leaf packs from another vendor at some point in the very near future.

The suspension is DEFINITELY squeaky, but I mean the creaking from inside the vehicle.  I can hear the exhaust, and it's louder than most cars I'm used to, but not obnoxiously so.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »
I went around mine with a screw driver and nearly every interior related screw was loose. Tightened them up and it was good for like... a couple days, max, before it was all loosey goosey again. As I was told when i bought mine... Embrace the noises :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah and I was planning on pulling my front bumper end caps at some point so I could start measuring and building a tube bumper, so don't be weirded out if our Jeeps look like twins for a while :lol:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:58:39 PM by 00XJ »

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 12:25:52 AM »
Squeaky interior? Remove every plastic panel possible and put one or two of those sticky backed felt pads behind all of the mounting/mating surfaces.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 12:43:52 AM »
Squeaky interior? Remove every plastic panel possible and put one or two of those sticky backed felt pads behind all of the mounting/mating surfaces.

Do you have ANY idea how many plastic panels are on the inside of an XJ? :lmao:

Nick, in regards to it being small.  The 99 is def more cramped inside than the 95.  That's because they changed the door handles and added a passenger side airbag.  It used to be that the door handles didn't extend so far up, they were just right by your side as an armrest.  You could put your leg over against the door and touch the door itself.  Now if you do that, you're hitting a door handle.  It took about 2-3 inches away from the interior on each side, and the second air bag takes out more room on the pass side.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 07:26:25 AM »
Do you have ANY idea how many plastic panels are on the inside of an XJ? :lmao:
Yes, I have stripped two XJs down to the shell and have done the felt pad trick to one other. All you need is a #2 Phillips screw driver and a soft pry bar.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »
Yes, I have stripped two XJs down to the shell and have done the felt pad trick to one other. All you need is a #2 Phillips screw driver and a soft pry bar.

What I am saying is I am FAAAAAR to lazy for that :lol:  Most of the creaking I hear is because the rear of the door is RIGHT next to my ear now.  In my other XJ it went back further (2 door versus 4 door) so I hear that creaking and rattling against the weather stripping, and that's my biggest annoyance.  Another is that there is a knocking coming from behind the dash somewhere.  It doesn't happen on start up, usually when I turn the air on, and there is always something coming out of the window defroster vents even when the AC is on, so I suspect the blend doors are messed up a little.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »
The rear hatch likes to squeak a lot. Some grease on the latch fixes it.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »
The rear hatch likes to squeak a lot. Some grease on the latch fixes it.

I haven't had that problem as of yet.  The driver's side door makes a little noise when I open it though.  Currently I'm looking for a rooftop basket.  That spare 31" tire takes up too much space in the back.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Man...my Jeep makes so many noises :lol: I think something is up with my Aussie Locker because everytime I turn that bitch is like POP POP POP...I thought it might be my damn U Joints but they all look fine.

Also, to piggyback Nick a little:
Ditch the Neutral Safety Switch if it acts up, you really don't need it.

His name was Meatywand.

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »
Man...my Jeep makes so many noises :lol: I think something is up with my Aussie Locker because everytime I turn that bitch is like POP POP POP...I thought it might be my damn U Joints but they all look fine.

Also, to piggyback Nick a little:
Ditch the Neutral Safety Switch if it acts up, you really don't need it.

I've been told that it does more than just disable the ignition in gear... not sure how true that is, but the XJ guys swear that you need it.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
Huh, most of them I know locally have removed them when they shit out. And a couple of them still DD their XJs.

His name was Meatywand.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
Huh, most of them I know locally have removed them when they shit out. And a couple of them still DD their XJs.

What year are their XJs?  Do you have emissions or safety inspections?  I have both, it might influence something along those lines.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
We have safety inspections...just not emissions. I have no idea off the top of my head what years they are...I'll go look on our club forum and see if they posted our equivalent of Membermobiles threads.

His name was Meatywand.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
Updated for new stereo

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 07:08:37 AM »
Not bad!

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »
Not bad!

Thanks!  So far, my favorite part of it is that it says "Jeep" at boot up LOL

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
That looks sweet.

What HU is that?
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 12:00:43 PM »
That looks sweet.

What HU is that?

Kenwood DNX692.  The molding around the radio and climate controls is also not stock.  Their installer is a bit OCD and he didn't like how the dash was textured, but the area around the radio wasn't :lol:  So they threw in that "upgrade" free.  It's not quite the same color, but the texture is damn close.  It also resists dirt better than the original surface, and it fills in the cracks better, so I don't have to try to get down in there with a qtip.