Author Topic: [MOVIE] Oblivion  (Read 2571 times)

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
[MOVIE] Oblivion
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:19:48 AM »
 Wow, man. I'll start by saying that if you don't like Tom Cruise, DON'T see this film. He is the main character as in it's almost 2 hours of straight Tom Cruise in your face doing shit. Fortunately, there are no long, drawn-out running scenes, and to be honest the first 30 minutes or so of the movie, while some shit happens, you really aren't sure where things are going to start getting aggro like the previews suggest.

And for once, the previews mislead you to the point of not having DICK ruined by them, for which I am thankful, because I went in having only seen a theatrical trailer, and then a rewatch on YT just before deciding between this or Olympus Has Fallen (which I am told is Die Hard + Whitehouse, so, that's cool but I can guess the outcome). I mean, you get that there are other people on the planet, but what you see in the previews is just such a little slice of the plot that you walk in only knowing that at SOME POINT Morgan Freeman will be on the screen (bonus, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is in this movie, for those of you who fucking love Jaime Lannister... he is pretty much that, except with a gun instead of a sword... and god is he glorious).

Basically, the first 1/4 of the movie is Jack Harper and his wife Vika (diminutive form of Viktorya) doing their thing on the wasteland that is Earth, waiting to go back up to the Tet, which is the base ship they have in orbit around Earth, and then from there head to Titan (one of Jupiter's moons, where the rest of the humans have moved to live). Jack is a repair tech for the drones that guard these MASSIVE hydrorigs, which are currently sucking the oceans off of Earth in order to provide Titan with the hydrofusion power they need to sustain life. There's a voiceover in the beginning which explains about how Earth was attacked shortly after some assholes blew apart the moon, which then sent Earth into a geological tailspin (plate tectonics, weather patterns, etc etc... the moon does quite a bit for us).  You also learn through dialogue between Jack and Vika that their memories are wiped for security purposes (he states this again later) so that in the event they are ever compromised, they cannot tell the captors anything beyond basic tech shit.

Anyways, Jack goes to fix a drone, and gets ambushed by some Scavs (what they call the alien forms dwelling on Earth still). Nothing much happens; I mean, there's some crossfire and Jack gets banged up, but for the most part, he escapes fine and has to hump it all the way back to his ship. When he gets home, he spends some quality time with his wife - you get the impression something isn't quite right, but you're not sure what. BELOW THIS POINT WILL BE SPOILERS.

(click to show/hide)

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. It had elements of all of my favourite things in it, and there are a few moments that took me straight back to Halo: CE (at one point some drones go nuts and start fucking shit up; the absolute chaos reminded me of when the Guilty Spark REALLY lost his marbles for good on the level 'The Maw' as you're hauling ass off the Ring). Definitely kept my attention the entire time, which as anyone who I have chosen to stealth-text during a movie can tell you, is a hard thing to do. I have no complaints. I thought the pace was perfect; never once did I wish it would hurry up or get on with it, which is usually my number one complaint with movies  - there's always an extra 30 minutes I could find a way to remove from nearly everything I've seen and reviewed. Not the case here.

10/10

I went in with a basic idea of what the film was about, and as soon as the shit started hitting the fan, it did not stop. If you like Tom Cruise as an actor, if you like sci-fi, and if you like fucking awesome, satisfying endings... go see this movie.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:24:01 AM by dotCom »

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: [MOVIE] Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
Damn how did I miss this review? I thought about seeing this movie but wasn't sure...looks like I missed out, guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:53 AM »
I really loved it. I was surprised nobody else saw it.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

1fastII

• KWEH?!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 11:26:43 PM »
I saw it in OMG IMAX and really liked it. The revelation actually took me by surprise, too.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
Jim and I saw this in the theater and really liked it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
Excellent movie, I really enjoyed it, but there's one glaring plot hole that bothers me...

(click to show/hide)

But regardless of the major plot holes, it's a very good movie. Loved the attention to detail in all of the futuristic technology and there were a lot things that seemed to be nods to video games and other sci-fi.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
Made sense to me, they needed the humans to handle all the physical labor wlh to keep their power plants running and do matinenece on their machiness.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

quantum

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:50:46 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Edit: I don't like Tom and I'll still give this film an 7.5/10...could have been a perfect 10 with a different actor.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:54:28 AM by quantum »

MadFairlane

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »
If you haven't seen it in full HD, do so. It's amazing
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »
If you haven't seen it in full HD, do so. It's amazing

Agreed. This is a beautiful movie.

I really enjoyed it. The special effects were top-notch, the sound was great, and the plot was new and interesting.