Author Topic: How to Make Racing Even More Redneck - A Blog about Trailer Racing  (Read 19895 times)

Wheels84ss

Re: How to Make Racing Even More Redneck - A Blog about Trailer Racing
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
  Nice, don't even have to build the lockout.... Bonus score. It's a shame yours is a 78, one year older and the 75 chevelle bodies would drop right on after ya take out the olds body. Of course Malibus and montes aren't hard to come by either. Sounds like you found a gold mine of derby friend. Expect to see more progress and some mean Mods...
You skeeted all over her birth control? Thats fucking cold dude :lol: +REP

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
The only thing I worry about are the rear frame humps. They're known to be weak and one good shot to the rear end will fold the frame right down.

Watch this video starting at 3:15 to see what happens to a G Body when it gets rear ended:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iUZUmMBqs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iUZUmMBqs</a>

Wheels84ss

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
  G-body's are my babies, ya don't have to tell me about them folding on a good rear hit, especially once the tank is removed. There is a fix for it though. Just a matter if it's legal where you run. Once the tank is removed ya build an X frame where the tank was, and run I beam or roundbar in the short ends of the frame behind the rear hump. Also a tri brace works well at the rear hump. I've seen this setup take a newport hit and still be rolling.

Also I have seen guys actually angle the rear bumper up so when the rear folds it folds up instead of down to be able to continue driving after a good hit. Don't think that would work for you being as they were straight derby and not trailer racing, your rear blowing up would kill any hitchability.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Decisions, decisions.
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Well, say good bye to the Cutlass. Something way better practically found ME.

92 Buick Roadmaster. 5.7 V8, TBI. 186,000 miles, very well maintained. Not a spot of rust on it. Starts and runs like new. Rides a bit soft, but that can be cured. Trailer hitch already in place. 4 door so the b-pillar will add structural integrity. Full, hefty frame. The only thing I have to do to this baby is strip it down, weld in some bracing and I'm good to go.

The Cutlass needed a ton of work, which I was more than willing to do... but I simply could NOT pass this up.

I bought this car for $500 and I feel like I payed about 2 grand less than what it's worth. The guy who traded it in took $300 for it. Poor bastard...

I'm TEMPTED to flip the car. Clean it up nice, fix the few minor things wrong with it and make an insane profit... but this car is IDEAL for my type of racing and will likely last a few years if built right. So, I'm not gonna skip on a good thing.

I also picked up my new trailer.

Yep. Bought this sucker for $50. Yes, that's $50, as in five-oh.

Next season is going to fucking rock.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
Oh god that is going to be hilarious :lol:
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 07:03:53 AM »
  Damn I would agree you should flip the betchfire roadblaster, and make a nice little bonus for a good rig. You are however correct it can be a good runner for quite a while in your type of racing....   

Now I have a request, you have to get an oversized totes hat and glue it to your helmet with that setup. The old roadblaster with that trailer behind would so look like a Walter Mattau camping trip.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
Mate no

Give me that Buick

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Progress Update
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
Starting gutting the Buick. I do feel bad about it... rust free, drives so nice... but it's gonna make a kick ass race car, and I NEVER find good deals like this, so... oh well.

Swapped the front passenger seat to the driver's position because it's in better shape and doesn't have the attached middle seat (I need the trans tunnel open for the floor shifter).

Yes, the power seat buttons are functional - lumbar and all.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2013, 06:10:08 AM »
  Ahh... You didn't tell us you stole Ginger Jared Dad's car. He had a mad Monster sponsership deal too for old guy show cars. There is no way you'll lose now.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »
  Ahh... You didn't tell us you stole Ginger Jared Dad's car. He had a mad Monster sponsership deal too for old guy show cars. There is no way you'll lose now.

Haha yeah... actually a sponsorship from an energy drink brand wouldn't be a bad idea. I wonder how I would get the ball rolling on that...

Anywhere, he's a quick sketch I did of (vaguely) what the Roadmaster should look like when done. Gonna make a hood scoop, and I have a push-bar to go on the front. Paint job will be mostly the same, but I'm not sure if it's getting the shark fin or not.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:39:35 PM by 00XJ »

Wheels84ss

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »
  Not bad... Like the bull bar. Very Dukes of hazzard :yup:

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Progress Update
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
It's been a long, harsh winter, so I haven't been able to do much to the Roadmaster.

The past few days have been decent so I forced myself to get SOMETHING done to it.

Yesterday I replaced the leaking rear wheel cylinders (yes, despite what many think, I DO need brakes), so now it stops nice and firm. I also pumped up the air shocks a little bit to give it somewhat of a rake, for no other reason than it looks cool.

Today I welded on the radiator guard and built a crappy hood scoop (functional). The radiator guard isn't done, but it's welded in place at least. More steel to get.

I needed sheet metal for the hood scoop so I took a trip down to the body shop and cut a section out of a door to a Traverse that was damaged and being thrown in scrap. Then I brought it back down to the shop, made my measurements, cut it up with a cut off wheel/tin snip combo, pounded it into submission with a claw hammer and fastened it down with self tapping screws.

I ran out of paint so ignore the stripe - the whole car will be black eventually.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Dismantling the trailer
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2014, 07:04:46 PM »
As I stated before, the race track has banned camper or travel trailers from the track due to the mess they leave behind. So unfortunately, as awesome as it would have been to have mine smashed up on the track, I have to strip it to the frame.

Today I finally got some time to get started on it... and after the mess I made ripping this thing apart, I can completely understand why they don't want them at the track.

I grabbed a Sawzall, 8lb short handled sledge and a small crow bar and got to work. I started by cutting out one of the windows and making a small door way. From there I basically just grabbed a hold of the paneling and ripped it right off. Had to use the crow bar a couple of times to help it along but for the most part the sheet metal came off by hand.

Then I freed up the rear section from the side wall. The plan was to make the side wall free standing so I could push on the opposite side and cause it to collapse, putting the roof within reach.

The plan worked for the most part... but this one freakin interior panel just wouldn't give up.

I had to stand outside of it and take swings with the sledge and jump away, waiting for it to collapse. Finally it did. From there I ripped out the paneling and cleaned up a bit.

Started hacked up the roof and other side after that, but eventually wore myself out so I got to a point where I could stop and gave up for the day.

Hoping to have the bare frame exposed by the end of next week.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
This looks so awesomely redneck :lol: I love it! And Monster isn't that hard to get sponsored by I don't think, our Haunt tried but we weren't in a big enough market. There are a couple Haunts in Dallas that have Monster sponsorships where Monster shows up in a riced out truck and hand out free Monsters.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »
http://www.monsterarmy.com/programs/

Looks like they're not currently running that program. Thanks, though!

Finally finished off the trailer. Hacked the rest of it up and threw it in the trash truck.

This light bulb was a trooper.

Down to the deck, ran out of time that day.

Finally down to the frame. Had to torch off the extended bits of the frame, but I'm leaving the ones by the tires - that should deter most from trying to take out my tires.

Installed my patented "broomstick GoPro mount". Tomorrow night is the Road Rage race which I'm pacing with my car. This is the view you'll see. The video should be excellent.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Road Rage
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »
Last night was the first official rage of the season for the Carnage Racing Division. Only two events were featured; The standard Flag Pole races and the all new Road Rage event.

First up was the Flag Pole race, and it was a war zone. I was only able to film a little bit of it. The #91 who t-boned me in last year's trailer race was back and still driving like an asshole, only this time he bought a friend, in the #19 yellow Buick Century. Both of them were team driving and being EXTREMELY reckless and dangerous. We are seeing about having them banned from the track for their actions. You can see that they finally managed to take down the mighty 66x... well, unfortunately they didn't know that he's got more spare parts than most junk yards and will have his car back and running by Sunday's Enduro Figure 8. You can bet that he will be getting revenge.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPLuMQNlJ8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPLuMQNlJ8</a>

This is video of the Flag Pole race from inside a friend's car. At the :40 mark, you can see the yellow #19 absolutely DEMOLISH the #36 (the same driver who was ass-packed in last year's Enduro F-8 race... that guy can't catch a break). That is DANGEROUS driving considering that most of these cars aren't built for impacts like that.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJNpUBKTNM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJNpUBKTNM</a>

Later in the video you can see the 66x ram the 19 into the wall to take him out of action. It was an anger fueled hit, but he was smart enough to hit the rear tire so there was little chance of injury to the driver. The hit bent the front frame rail and shifted the engine, shearing off the oil filter and crushing one of the headers, causing it to catch fire later in the race.

Seems like the Flag Pole race should have been titled "Road Rage" instead, given how tame Road Rage was in comparison.

So to recap, Road Rage is where a pace car sets a maximum speed and the race field has to fight each other for position until the pace car pulls off. I ran the Roadmaster as the pace car since I didn't have it finished for racing, and I also just wanted to get the video.

First up was the 4 cylinder heat consisting mostly of Pony Stocks, so not a whole lot of contact going on. It didn't take long for the drivers to get confused and actually pass me in one turn. The track was still slick with oil from the Flag Pole race, and the Roadmaster didn't grip too well, so I took a turn wide and they assumed I was pulling off and shot past me. We reset and I took the turns tighter to prevent the mistake again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9qiHkcC6o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9qiHkcC6o</a>

The V6/V8 heat was next. A bit more body contact, but still far more tame than the Flag Pole race.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpCDoEjnBI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpCDoEjnBI</a>

The first Enduro Figure 8 is this Sunday night, I'll have video of that sometime on Monday.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:48:12 PM by 00XJ »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Figure 8 Insanity
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
The 30 lap Figure 8 race was Sunday night. I finally got my GoPro mounted in the 66x, unfortunately the driver was a lot more tame this time than he usually is for some reason. Despite the lack of crazy driving, the GoPro still captured some pretty crazy action, including a major intersection collision and a rollover.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBj2zVii2iE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBj2zVii2iE</a>

After I hit "record" on the GoPro, I sprinted my ass to the very top of the spectator stands to record the race with my iPhone. Despite not being able to get the entire track on screen at once, I managed to catch pretty much every significant moment.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tnsog7J38" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tnsog7J38</a>

Yeah, I'm definitely never doing an Enduro Figure 8. Just a bit too crazy for me.

In other news, got the cooling fan mounted in the Roadmaster. One of the body shop guys saved one from a Ford Escape. Insurance replaced the fan because the casing had a crack in it, but there is absolutely nothing else wrong with it.

Had to do a little bit of trimming to get it to slip into the shroud, but it's ALMOST the perfect size.

I packed the wires into some wire loom and ran them through holes in the top half of the shroud.

Nice and discreet, not that it needs to be or anything... I just like a clean, simple mod job.

Just have to run the toggle switches and I'll have two fans to fire up if needed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:23:53 PM by 00XJ »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Minor Update
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
Finally got the front bumper situation figured out. My original idea saw the beam sitting out about a foot from the front of the car, i figured it would keep stuff away from the radiator. After talking with Kelly Hollister, the driver of the 66x, he pointed out that the leverage created by that length would do way more harm than good, so heeding his advice I took it back apart, flipped the beam around, shortened the pipes, seam welded the beam to the pieces I already welded to the frame horns, and voila, super strong, sturdy front bumper.

Getting a bit better with my welding skills, too. Still no expert at it, but I can make 'em hold and that's all I really need.

The push bar will still be going on the front, but i have to trim up the hood and fenders (see green tape? that's where the cut will be made) and fold the sheet metal down. That hood will accordion immediately the first time I hit something.

Once the push bar is welded on, it'll get connected to the firewall, similar to what i did with the Dakota:

Front end should be plenty sturdy for my style of racing.

The rear bumper will be a major challenge... it sits low as it is, and the rear body/rear of the trunk is thin enough to kick in with my foot. Just not any support there at all. I'll probably end up having to build it it's own little cage.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
Got the push bar started today. More welding/filler metal to add.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
More progress
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
Got the front end almost entirely finished, just a few more things to do.

Home made hood pins. Used 3/8" threaded rod.

Rear bumper mounted, but I'm going to flip it around and weld more crap to it. Don't mind the "Don't Hit Me" painted on the trunk, that was for when I was pacing Road Rage - needed some way for people to recognize me as the pace car.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Progress update
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2014, 08:55:30 PM »
Not sure anyone is following anymore, but meh:

Bolted and welded rear bumper on, welded passenger doors shut, painted the whole thing with roll-on Rustoleum gloss black.

Still to do:
Weld driver's side doors and install crash beam
Install fuel cell
Lettering
Window Net

That's all I'm going to be able to get done before July 11th. Not anywhere close to as finished as i want it to be.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Another update
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »
Race day is a week away, so today I had to really crunch and get stuff done. I actually took the day off of work to do it, but in fairness, I did come in last Saturday (we don't work Saturdays) to get some used cars done, so it's all good.

Anyway... Finally got the fuel cell installed and plumbed.

Got the driver's door protection on, also installed the window net. Not pictures is the spreader bar (3" pipe situated between the B pillars).

Put my signature caution stripes on the rear bumper. Not sure if I'm gonna put them on the sides like I did with the trucks... might keep the paint job simple this time.

Got my numbers and YouTube channel on the side, just need to touch up the lettering and outline it all with the blue paint pen. Still need to add the Graff logo to the trunk lid.

Just have to install the 5 point harness and finish the paint job, and it's ready to go.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Race Report
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
(Videos are still processing, check back later)

My fourth "Fun Night" at Spartan Speedway was last night, and it was awesome.

First up were the Road Rage races, and unlike last time, these were much more eventful. Well, at least in the 6/8 cylinder class... the 4 bangers still were a bit timid and didn't like to wreck each other. Like last time, I acted as the pace car and led the field for a random number of laps, speeding up and slowing down to stretch them out and bunch them up. Finally once I pulled off, they had two laps to go all out and try to take the checkered flag.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMGvqUIKbA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMGvqUIKbA</a>

Next up was the Flag Pole race.

I wasn't going into it expecting to compete, as I didn't want to smash my car up too bad... but like last year, I drew the number 1 starting position, so it was almost inevitable that I would run into trouble.

I didn't.

The Roadmaster, as it turns out, is totally bad ass, and I ran away with the race. I managed to maintain my lead and eventually gained almost an entire lap on the rest of the field.

Coming up on the last lap, I got screwed. A car caught on fire between turns 1 and 2, and the driver jumped out. I stopped as did the driver in front of me (I was lapping him), expecting a red flag... but they never stopped the race, and the car in 2nd place caught up and passed me. Once I realized this I took off again but it was too late to catch up, so I ended up in second place. The race director knew this was a mistake, but it was too late to take it back, so to make amends he increased my payout for second place. I'm OK with that, everyone agrees that it was my race. The guy who won was cool about it too.

Forward View
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eYgVKh0WQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eYgVKh0WQ</a>

Rear View
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsywCRuvXwM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsywCRuvXwM</a>

Then there was the School Bus Figure 8. I was put in the Batman bus.

Something was wrong with it. I thought the transmission was shot. It just wouldn't accelerate past a certain point. The first two or three laps, I was miserably slow and was passed by several others. Eventually it picked up and I was able to at least keep up, and at two different points I skated through a traffic jam and gained a few positions, going from dead last (10th and 2 laps behind) to 5th place overall. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

I found out after the race that one of the front brakes was seized and only once it started burning (and glowing) did it allow that wheel to spin fast enough to not slow me down.

The Bus race was a ton of fun and I hope I can do it again someday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZDP0IbzDQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ZDP0IbzDQ</a>

Finally, the Trailer Race. I was pretty tired at this point and hadn't had time to top off my fuel cell, so the car would lose power around turns sometimes and I just didn't have the energy to go balls out like in the Flag Pole race. Even still, it was fun, and by the end I was just screwing around trying to get it sideways around the turns, which is a lot harder to do with a trailer than you'd expect.

The major highlight is that not even 1 lap into the race, #91 (the guy who t-boned me last year) flipped his truck onto it's side. I have some FANTASTIC video of that from multiple angles.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKBlSqzueg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKBlSqzueg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YHgzr8cH0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YHgzr8cH0</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYoDovWVJpg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYoDovWVJpg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJKHwc4UE4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJKHwc4UE4</a>

All in all, a very fun night of racing. I'm content in the knowledge that, barring a complete mechanical failure or a huge driving mistake, I would have won the flag pole race. I'm very pleased with how the car performed, and that it came out of it with hardly a scratch on it. I still have more work to do to make the car what I want it to be, and I need to repair my trailer, but other than that, I'm ready for September.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:30:25 AM by 00XJ »