Author Topic: How to Make Racing Even More Redneck - A Blog about Trailer Racing  (Read 20386 times)

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
Re: How to Make Racing Even More Redneck - A Blog about Trailer Racing
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
I want to see this new 00 dominate!

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
I want to see this new 00 dominate!

You and me both!

Did a few more things today.

First I ran the wires for the e-fan, got that working.

Next was to relocate the computer from the inner fender to the firewall. It's previous location on the fender was a dangerous one. One good hit to that side and it would've been toast.

The next thing was to get an open air filter set up so it can breathe as much as possible. Every little bit of performance I can eek out of the motor will help. BUT, I didn't want to spend any more money... so I just hacked up the existing air cleaner housing.

Not pretty, but it works.

Left to do:
-Finish front end bracing
-Remove glass
-Weld doors
-Finish paint job
-Replace brake lines
-Replace fuel line
-Install/weld hitch
-Repair trailer tongue

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
"Normal" Figure 8
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »
Figure 8 racing isn't anything new. In fact, when I mention "Figure 8 Trailer Race", most people are caught off guard by the inclusion of the word "trailer".

Last Sunday, Spartan Speedway held a 30 lap Figure 8 race, a "run what ya brung" event. So long as the vehicles met the safety requirements, they were eligible to race. 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder, truck, sedan, race car, demolition derby car... if it fit within the regulations, it could race.

I didn't participate as the new 00 isn't ready, and I also suspected that I'm not prepared for such a competitive event given that I've only been on the race track 4 times now. I'm truly glad I went with my gut, because the race was pure insanity.

The old 00 did participate, though. Unfortunately the new owner tried to fix the injector issue by installed 5.7 injectors, which he didn't realize flow a lot more than the 4.3 injectors and was dumping way more fuel than the little engine could handle. Gas was getting into the crank case, that's how bad it was. So, we drained the oil and cleaned the spark plugs and lined him up at the gate, figuring it would run long enough to reach the 5 lap limit to earn his payout ($100 just for completing at least 5 laps).

Here's the video.

From my iPhone in the stands:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iUZUmMBqs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iUZUmMBqs</a>

From my GoPro inside the yellow #75 (the same #75 from my very first race)
Note: The first half of the video are the warm up laps, I haven't had a chance to trim the video down.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OFYBoACZA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2OFYBoACZA</a>

From an iPhone mounted via 2x4 to the dash of the #24 Dodge Ram:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx4KP3o92mw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx4KP3o92mw</a>

And finally, from my old dash cam I bought for my first race, mounted inside my old truck, now #13:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbX_Vus2gI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbX_Vus2gI</a>

So yeah... insane.

Before pics:

Redneck engine mount repair:

A bunch of guys from Auto City Speedway, who do this type of event every other weekend, showed up. Intimidating at first... but our local boys held their own.

I'm not the only one that did it!:

Lined up and ready to go:

And the Aftermath...

#24 blew a tranny line and suffered some heavy body damage, both is otherwise ready to run the Trailer Race in September.

#68+1 took a big hit from #13 and drove the rest of the race like this. The driver plans on repairing it with a heavy duty trailer axle.

#75 is officially headed to the scrap yard after 3 years and nearly 11 races. The steering box sheared off the frame and the front frame horn is pinching the driver's side front wheel.

A small update on my truck...

Got the cooling fan switch wired up, so that's all working now.

Made some more progress on the paint job. Still a long way to go.

I also reinforced the front end bracing, tying it all to the core support using angle iron. It's quite sturdy.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
More updates
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Less than two weeks to go before the final race of the season. Here's what I've done since my last post:

-Repaired the fuel line
-Repaired the brake line
-Replaced the tires with smaller tires (stiffer sidewall, more foot print, and the smaller size slightly changes the gear ratio)
-Removed the glass
-Removed the carpet
-Cut off the exhaust at the down pipes
-Cut the vents in the hood
-Finished the paint job

Left to do:
-Minor finishing touches here and there
-Finish the trailer (using barrels again, but I only have 3 this time)

Had to cut the hood vents in the same style as the old truck. Trying to keep a similar visual theme going here. Ideally, the shark fin and I-beam on the driver's door will end up on every car i run from here on out, and aside from some minor changes the paint job will be the same, too... so when people see the car, they'll immediately know it's still me and not someone else running the #00. The fans DO get pretty pumped about these races... I actually signed a few autographs last time which I thought was really odd, but they were for young kids so I imagine that they probably don't realize that we're just a bunch of nobodies racing junk cars for fun :lol:

Also worth noting is how much a Chrysler 3.9 sounds like a GM 4.3 with the exhaust completely hacked off at the down pipe. Almost identical. I guess i should have figured as much, but I was expecting at least SOME difference in tone.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
9/6/13 Race Report
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
I got to run a few practice laps to get a feel for the Dakota. It was surprisingly quick, although it handled like crap.

The Flag Pole Race was first as always, and it turned out to be more of a demolition derby than a race. I drew the #1 starting position which meant that even though I started out in front, i had to weave through the entire pack of cars to make it around the first Tire. On the green flag I mashed the throttle and roasted the rear tires, so I had to let off to gain traction. If the tires had bitten, I would've been far ahead. I nearly made it through until I got hung up and block, and when I finally managed to back up and get out of it I was near the back of the pack.

The Dakota was decently quick in the straights so I could often gain lost ground back on my competitors, however there were several demo derby cars out there who weren't afraid to ram anyone in their way. I got nailed pretty hard a few times.

At one point I took the high side while approaching a tire and noticed a car REVERSING down the track along the wall. I slammed on the brakes and locked up, sliding, but came to a stop just before him, until I was hit by the car behind me and shoved into him.

Amazingly my front end bracing was excellent. I thought I'd under-built it, but completely protected the front end of the truck from severe damage.

I took a few shots to the rear end and a couple in the driver's side, mostly from the same driver who clearly thought the object of the race was to crush everyone else's cars into cubes.

Video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jO_qNf0r8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0jO_qNf0r8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOCqF7oWf28" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOCqF7oWf28</a>

Damage after the Flag Pole Race:

I was near the end of the pack for the trailer race which is a decent starting position, as you have a better view of what's going on.

Unfortunately, no strategy mattered this time around. It was simply chaos. Utter, pure, unadulterated carnage. Boat sliding all over the track, trailers flipping over, cars spinning and sliding and smashing... it was insane.

I was doing my best to not get too involved with other drivers, but had to bump and rub a bit to make it fun to watch. Once my trailer got nailed in the X and I lost a wheel, I knew it was only a matter of time before they threw the Black Flag on me so I had to make the next lap count. I set my sights on a speed boat being towed by an 80's Regal (the same driver pulling the camper in the July race) and attempted to drive his trailer sideways into the grass, hoping it would catch a rut and tip so I could ram it off the hitch.

Instead, I jackknifed him and when I slowed down (so I didn't hit his car), another car came out of NO WHERE and broadsided me at probably 30mph. It knocked the wind out of me and instantly I felt immense pain in the whole right side of my body. As a precaution I waved the track officials to stop the race and send the Paramedics out to check on me (and get me off the track). By the time I had taken a few deep breaths and calmed down I was feeling much better. No injuries, just sore muscles.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoJnu2qNkgY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoJnu2qNkgY</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Vp0gDfTU4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Vp0gDfTU4</a>

The guy who hit me? The same guy bulldozing everyone in the Flag Pole Race. We're all out there to bump and spin each other but these are NOT demolition derbies and most of our cars are not built as such. Therefore, what he was doing was dangerous to everyone, as evidenced by what he did to me. The rules clearly state no tow-vehicle contact during the trailer race (aside from incidental contact) and he assumed he could just plow through me since I was in his way. Even though I'm the only one who got hurt, i was certainly not the only one pissed off as this douche bag.

Final resting place at the junk yard:

More videos to come later.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
New Truck
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »
I'm still pretty heart broken over the Dodge. That was a damned good truck... but alas, it was not meant to be.

I had two options for what to choose for my next race vehicle. Fast and fragile, or tough and slow?

I went with the latter.

1981 Silverado. Not sure yet if it's a 305 or a 350, gonna have to find the casting number. I drove it about 15 miles back to my house. Seems to run really good, doesn't smoke, starts right up on the first crank, but it DOES have some problems.

The pitman arm is wasted, the pass. side wheel bearing is wasted, and the upper shock mount is very loose. It was a chore to drive home. If I can just get it to the shop, it'll be all set.

I paid $460 for it, he was asking $600. It's worth at LEAST $400 in scrap, maybe more, and then there's this:

BRAND fucking new tires. I can sell these for probably $200. We'll see.

More pics/info to come.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography

Wheels84ss

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
I'm curious what the fast and fragile option was, although for trailer racing I would go with the Chevy either way... just to damn hard to kill.

Also I would suggest if you can start milling plates for things like shock mounts. that way if you get whacked and shit bends you can just replace plates and keep going for the next race.
You skeeted all over her birth control? Thats fucking cold dude :lol: +REP

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
By fast and fragile I mean smaller front wheel drive cars. They always do well in the Flag Pole races, but they're very prone to getting completely destroyed due to their not-so-rugged structure. A good hit on the front of a FWD car and you're almost guaranteed to break a ball joint or even destroy the trans by shoving the axle shaft inside it.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
  No argument here we just used to have a guy that would run a chevette and a monza as derby cars... He called his team fast and fragile so I was curious

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
oh haha.. nope, I don't think there are any Monza's left in the whole of Michigan :lol:

I noticed a big difference just between my two trucks. The Chevy was hard to push around. I never got spun out and when people hit me I didn't feel it much. The Dakota... I was getting my ass kicked in the flag pole race. Too light, to easy to shove around, not enough balls to push through a mess.

Turns out I'm probably off loading the C10 for an 88 Silverado.

The C10 needs a bunch of work to make it race worthy, and a co-worker just told me he has an 88 in his driveway that needs a brake caliper and some minor stuff, but it has a 350/350 combo and a 4.11 rear end. Pretty much the perfect truck for my needs.

I'll build it up stronger than my last Chevy, since now I know where they bend and fold.. and I'll be competitive for once.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
  Makes sense the Dakota's never were really heavy duty, similar to the S-10 with a bigger ass.

If it's a great deal with the 88, more power too ya. I would wanna play with the 87 or older just because I know them so well, but they were known to rot the frame where the cab meets the bed. Question is the 88 efi or carbed

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
Carbed I believe. Motor swap. Might not work out though, his wife thinks thy can eat more for it. Gonna try to get the 81 built up. Will be plating the cab and frame (bed too) and bolting that shit together everywhere I can.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »
 If you do keep the 81, There should be some extra bolt holes in the frame to help add strength to the cab frame mounting. I assume they require tank moving already so that's not an issue. Might wanna notch the hood so if it does get whacked it doesn't come back straight... they don't crumple easy.   You can short roll the cab so you can put in a five point without the full cage... the seat has enough room behind it. Also just for breathing might wanna stack it through the bed or run it inside the frame rail... The bodies do have a lot of empty space and can wrap around and crimp the pipe choking the motor. My buddies 78 had this happen mid derby and it sucked, granted his was a derby not a trailer race.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
No more trucks
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
I decided that the C10 wasn't going to do the trick. Too much rust, too little to work with. Damned good running engine but not enough else to build from. So, I sold it to some college kid for $300 and an iPad.

Ended up finding a 78 Cutlass on Craigslist with a 350/350 combo. Needs... a little work. lol

These pics are after I started stripping it. The roof is completely wasted. Had a vinyl cover and simply rotted the metal right out. Nothing I can't patch back together with some scrap sheet metal from the body shop, though.

The floors will need to be patched, too. Major holes. Despite being known for the frame rotting out from the rear axle on back, this one is PRETTY solid. Going to remove the bumper mounts and cram some square tubing down inside the frame, bolt and weld it in place, then reattached the bumper and hitch receiver all tied into one strong piece.

The engine runs good but leaks a fuck ton of oil and has a lifter tick. Not sure if there's a broken rocker arm or what, haven't had time to pull the valve covers off (which are also the main source of the oil leak) but worst case scenario, I'll throw some junk yard heads on it.

Kelly Hollister, the driver of the 66x, bought the tires I took off of the C10. I delivered them to his house last night and we BS'ed about racing for almost 3 hours. He also gave me the tour of his derby car part yard. It's INSANE. It's well organized, but he has a pile of mid-70's land yacht bumpers, over 100 various size drive shafts, 15 small block chevy engines in various stages of completion, 3 '75 Chevelle bodies, a 73 Cadillac derby project, a bunch of transmissions, axle shafts, cylinder heads, rims, tires, shifters, you name it, he probably has a LOT of it.

He's going to set me up with a customized shifter for the car, one with a reverse lockout so I can slam it into reverse quickly with no risk of it going into park. He's also got a fresh set of 350 heads he'll sell me if i need them. Of course, anything else I need, I can find it there and he's more than willing to give me a fair deal as long as I take some time to BS about racing with him.

So here's my current "to-do" list so far:
-Upper control arm bushings
-Replace valve cover gaskets, timing chain cover gasket, oil pan gasket
-Repair power steering leak
-Remove smog bullshit
-Full tune-up
-Adjust lifters, replace heads if needed
-Strip interior to bare essentials
-Partially cage it (using well pipe which is STRONG but cheap)
-Reinforce rear frame, install hitch
-Reinforce front end, build radiator protection
-Shark fin
-Patch roof
-Patch floor
-Reinforce driver's seat
-Remove glass, install wire mesh in place of windshield
-Find shorter rear end gears (I head some S10's had 3.73 gears and that they fit in the 7.5" rear end)
-Install headers
-Window net
-5 point harness
-Fuel cell
-Shifter
-Relocate battery
-Paint

That's all I can think of right now.

Freebies offered to me so far:
-Window net
-5 point harness
-Fuel cell
-Long tube headers

Yep, gonna do it right this time. Just need to come up with a new paint scheme that isn't too far off from the old one, but fits the car.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
  and you said the truck had a fuckton of work to do... damn.

That said, something about you and an old O mobile racecar seems to fit. Just seems one year too new

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »
  and you said the truck had a fuckton of work to do... damn.

That said, something about you and an old O mobile racecar seems to fit. Just seems one year too new

Well, the cab of the truck was supported by a 4x4 piece of lumber, if that gives you any indication. After the hit I took in a the Dakota I'm not driving anything that will separate from the frame. I'm going to bolt the cutlass body down in many places.

Wheels84ss

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
  Ahh they changed the lift spacer. Usually guys just channel it for demo with double the lag bolts.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Overdue Update
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
Haven't done much on the car since I last posted, but began stripping the interior out.

..yeah. Gonna need some patch panels, haha.. not a huge problem though as the structure itself is still solid.

Scored a bunch of free steel from a bed liner rack we tore down at the dealership. Going to appropriate it into a make-shift "roll" cage and radiator protection.

Also bought a set of headers specifically for a Chevy 350 in this exact vehicle, for $50 from a co-worker. Can't argue with that!

I've also decided to replace the lifters and throw in a cheap, mild cam. No, I don't expect it to make a lot of power, and I'm OK with that. I will be straight up honest, I'm doing it for the sound. I want this car to sound loud and awesome. The fans love that kind of stuff... and it'll sound great on my GoPro :D

Wheels84ss

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
  Wow talk about tin moths... That's quite a bit if patching...  As for the cam job, unless your gonna pull the motor for another car after I wouldn't waste the time. I mean I understand that Trailer race cars have longer lives then regular derby cars, but still Man hours + cam is about 800 bucks you could drop in other areas of the car. I would say just plumb the headers to dumps aimmed up to get the sound you want.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
Gotta put a cam and, one of the lifters is stuck and probably caused problems. Can't imagine that motor will hang on long with a wasted cam lobe.

Cam+lifter kit, $120 from Summit. Motor is coming out during my car build anyway because I want to strip the car down to the bare essentials. I have all winter to work on it, no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheels84ss

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »
  Damn not a bad price for the whole kit.  Only other question is are you moving the shifter to the floor or keeping the column. I know we used to move it for the Derby and flag/tire races and the Chain race. Just one less thing to break or twist up. That and we found dish washer panels fit very well as floor pan replacements in a pinch cheap. I suddenly see you with loud pipes and Ride of the Valkyries blasting out of this thing.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
Floor shifter. That bad ass black 66x car in my photos/videos belongs to a guy named Kelly Hollister, who has been doing this kind of stuff for 30 years and literally has a treasure trove of derby parts at his house. Not just a few parts here and there, or a few of this and a few of that, but... over 100 different drive shafts, 5 complete small block motors and 10 disassembled motors, 3 '75 Chevelle bodies, a 77 Caddy, pile of tires and rims, the list goes on.

He has pre-fabbed custom shifters with a park lockout so he can slam it forward without worry of it going into park. Like, 20 of them. He's giving me one and a few extra things as well to help me along.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
The Cutlass giving you any good memories?

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
Mine was way nicer than this pile of crap :lol: