Author Topic: Fucking wheel bearing...  (Read 2921 times)

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
Fucking wheel bearing...
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »
I got my M/T's back in February, while having them installed one of the Firestone guys noticed my wheel bearing was loose, I said OK and scheduled an appointment to have that replaced in a couple weeks since I don't have a press and other required tools.

A couple weeks later, all is well. New wheel bearing, that annoying rattling noise is gone.

I start noticing another rattling noise a week later and resolve to check it out when I have a day off and the weather is nice.

Today I have the day off and the weather is nice so I check it out. After a lug nut twisted off in my hand I replaced the broken stub I noticed that the hub had excessive play once again, and that it was the source of the rattling noise. Shit, the new bearing is shot.

I know 31" tires are a little bigger than the stock 27" ones, but not so much so that they would kill a new wheel bearing that quickly, especially when the factory original passenger side bearing is going strong without even a hint of noise or excessive play, right?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:30:11 PM by jeepidude »

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
Re: Fucking wheel bearing...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »
Probably a china bearing. Is it press in?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Good thing that bearing is under warranty. If it's a good shop, they won't charge you the labor to swap it out again.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
What year is your Jeep again?

AirForceOne

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
Sounds like a cheap China piece.  I put three China HBs in my 99 Sierra before bumping up the cash and getting a Timken piece. 

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
Probably a china bearing. Is it press in?

Yeah it's a press in  :-\

Good thing that bearing is under warranty. If it's a good shop, they won't charge you the labor to swap it out again.

I had a Firestone service center do it, their rate was better than most local shops and their warranty is very clear about making sure it's done right. I can either get a full refund or have them do it again.

What year is your Jeep again?

It's a '95 Tracker

Sounds like a cheap China piece.  I put three China HBs in my 99 Sierra before bumping up the cash and getting a Timken piece. 

Ugh.. I'm gonna see if there's anyway I can get them to put a more durable part in. I don't mind spending extra money for quality stuff.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
Autozone sells timken. They are about the same price as the china bearings everywhere else.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
Firestone replaced the bearing, said they think it was just defective and that the one they put in was a Timken. Seems ok now but something on the front is still rattling  :(