Author Topic: 1990 Talon TSi AWD  (Read 32932 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: 1990 Talon TSi AWD
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
Well... I may have spoken too soon. :lol:

The filter neck on the MAF is cracked 3/4 around. So... the epoxy and clamps comes out. I used a cheap paint brush to put it on and tried to lay it on fairly flat so it will still seal just fine. I painted a thin layer on the inside as well. I'll give that two days to dry to be sure and I think it'll be okay. It's not worth taking it back for $33 and trying to find another one. I'll take my chances. The hardest part will be not epoxying my clamps to the MAF.

Also... I think the Injen pipe is out unless I can modify it. This thing is just too long. Once the MAF is thrown on there, there's only going to be a few inches for an air filter before it hits the UICP.

I really want to use this thing though. I think I'm gonna take it somewhere and ask someone to cut like 4" out of the middle and then weld it back together. That should hopefully take enough length out of it to get me room for a filter. It seems to sit a little high anyway so dropping it down a few inches wouldn't hurt just to be on the safe side.

I might be able to make my old tubing work but the MAF outlet is a wide oval for 2g and a circle for 1g. I don't know if it will seal very well even with a tight clamp.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 09:24:03 AM »
I did a little messing around this morning. I rigged up my 1g pipe to the 2g MAF and I think it will get the job done. Big difference in pipe length:

I should have just enough room to slap a filter in there. I ordered a 3" inlet filter from Amazon that should fit. It's a smaller filter than I would prefer but until I can come up with something else, this will do. When I eventually do a FMIC, that will open up a lot of room for a bigger filter.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
I've been busy.

Got the air filter installed. It's a bit of a tight squeeze but it will do until I eventually have a FMIC and more room for a filter.

Swapped out my injectors tonight for a set of RC 550cc injectors. Used new o-rings and grommets. This is how one of my stock injectors looked:

Obviously not a good thing. Probably wasn't a good spray of fuel at all.

I also got my MAF adapter a few days ago. Unfortunately, it's the wrong one. From what it looks like, this one seems to be for using an Evo MAF on a 2G car. I emailed the guy about it with some pictures of my current plugs and he says "Oh you have the real old style. I don't sell those. You can send it back I will refund your money." What the fuck? I gave him specific instructions on what I wanted and he said he would make it for me.

So, I gained a new project. Went to a pick-and-pull today and walked out with two 2g pigtails and also a pigtail for the 3g/Evo MAF if I ever upgrade to one:

Time to make my own adapter. I hacked up my 1g MAF to get the plug off of it.

Prepped the wires and the pins on the plug.

I used the wiring diagram from this VFAQ.

The finished adapter:

With some silicone on the wires to protect from corrosion and possible shorting:

I'll end up wrapping it in electrical tape as well but I want to make sure I don't have any problems first. I got the car started up (took a few tries) and it ran pretty well. It stumbled once and the idle dropped to where it almost stalled but I just tapped the gas a few times and it leveled out much quicker than before. I think busted injector tip was causing some issues. No check engine light so the adapter must be correct.

I still have that damn bird noise though. I think it has to do with the vacuum line on the BOV. I noticed that at idle, the middle of the line is collapsed. If I open the throttle at all, it expands. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not but it will only cost me a few dollars to replace it. I also noticed that the BOV end of the vacuum line has a small hole like 3/4" in. That might be allowing air to pass through and causing a vibration. I'll go pick up some spare hose tomorrow.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
I haven't updated this thread in a while.

My drain pan had a pretty good dent and a crease in the bottom of it which I didn't really like. Also, it was leaking at a few of the bolt holes. This thing was practically covered in Permatex including the bolts:

I also noticed some oil pooling at the bottom of the front case:

There was also oil leaking on to my clean trans and I wasn't sure of the source. So, I ordered a UV dye kit and a UV light. This thing is fucking magic. Honestly, it's stupid to not use this to find an oil leak unless it's super obvious.

I found my main leak was coming from the cam angle sensor. I pulled it, replaced the o-ring, and all is well. The old o-ring had transformed itself in to hard plastic. I still need to check my timing though. I marked three spots on the CAS bracket/valve cover to get it as close as possible and I'm fairly confident it's 98% correct.

I ordered a brand new oil pan for $90 from 1A Auto. A guy on New England DSM works for them. This thing is beautiful:

Since I'm unemployed, I got a lot done this week:

- replaced oil pan as well as new hardware from JNZ
- dropped the trans, removed pivot ball shim (fork is 1/2 in window), removed pressure plate (looks fine, it's still completely flat), torqued to 18 lbs, greased input shaft, helicoiled M8 trans bolt and M6 speed sensor bolt, reinstalled trans
- replaced exhaust manifold with 2G manifold
- replaced O2 housing with Evo III housing
- replaced all crush washers on turbo (yay no more leaks)
- replaced front control arm bushings
- finally replaced o-ring on the coolant inlet pipe

Unfortunately, I ran in to a problem. The Evo III O2 housing flange looks to be at a slightly different angle than than stock housing so my Megan downpipe won't bolt up to it. :x I have a feeling it never bolted up 100% to the stock housing either though. My gasket show signs (at least in my eyes) of a slight exhaust leak out of one side. The car is currently at an exhaust shop. Their welder is going to cut off the downpipe flange, bolt it to the housing, and then re-weld the downpipe. I was hoping he could cut the cat off of it for me too but he's not allowed so I'm going to do that later on when I have a job again.

I also found out why people use Permatex instead of the factory gasket for the turbo's oil return:

I pulled it off again and used Permatex instead. No more leak.

The worst news? I still have clutch drag. I'm on my last nerve with this shit and I'm out of ideas. So far:

- pressure plate is properly torqued to 18 lbs
- Exedy clutch was brand new. It has ~1000 miles on it. According to Exedy, their clutches require .610" flywheel step height. Exedy also recommends factory torque specs for the pressure plate. I'm currently 2 lbs above that now. The pressure plate is definitely touching the flywheel.
- ACT Streetlite flywheel (~1000 miles as well). According to ACT, this flywheel is cut to .612" step from the factory. I did not have this confirmed before installation because I couldn't find a machine shop near me that works with flywheels. I probably didn't try hard enough but I have no reason to believe it wasn't cut properly. It was purchased 100% brand new.
- I rebuilt the clutch pedal assembly. The old assembly seemed fine after pulling it apart but what do I know? The only bushings not replaced were the ones between the brake pedal arm. I just could not figure out how to remove them but I did replace the z-arm which is obviously the most important part.
- The slave cylinder is brand new OEM
- The master is the only part I haven't replaced with brand new. I did swap in a used master but it didn't fix my problem.
- I changed out the rubber clutch hose near the slave for a braided line

The only thing I can think is that it's a hydraulic issue. I don't see how it could be anything else. My main reason for thinking this that I've followed Jack's video for adjusting the clutch and I can never find the bypass valve while adjusting the master. I've gone as far as to turn the master rod out (towards the firewall) just short of completely and I can still push the slave in by hand. I don't know how that's possible unless there's just something I'm missing. I'm almost at the point of going with an extended slave rod just to get rid of this issue but I know that's not a proper solution.

Although I'm still a little confused about my clutch pedal too. Unless I'm mistaken, the method to check for a worn pedal assembly is to push in the clutch, let it out, and then see if you can still pull up the pedal by hand. I still have this even after rebuilding the pedal assembly. I wonder if the cruise switch (I believe that's what the upper switch at the clutch pedal is) is the reason the pedal stops and I can pull it up by hand. If I slowly release the pedal, it seems to stop when it gets to the switch. If I release it quickly, it will travel all the way up to the pedal stop. I'm going to remove the switch and see where the pedal stops.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
Well, I found out why my fan speed switch blows the fuse when you turn it up to 4...

I noticed it was cracked and when I wiggled the cracked piece around, two of the pins were really loose. Glad that problem should be an easy fix. I just sent PMs to two guys parting out cars on DSMTuners.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:04 AM »
When I bought my car, the rear defogger didn't work. Not unusual for older cars. I noticed the ground connector had broken off the windshield so I made a new wire and just soldered it right to the solder point on the window. It still didn't work. So, I spent a few days troubleshooting the entire defogger circuit and components. Relay is good, switch is good, timer works on the bench but not in the car.

Okay, something's wrong with the circuit at the timer. I notice I'm only getting ~2.25v on one of the timer pins when I should be getting 12v. I only understand bits and pieces of the electrical diagram and the timer is a bit of a mystery. I posted on DSMTuners about it to get some more info and hopefully someone can read the electrical diagram.

I'm a fucking idiot. I've spent part of a few days troubleshooting this shit, testing voltages, continuity, hooking some shit up in an obscure way just to test it. All I had to do was try the defogger while the car was running. The pin I was having trouble with only outputs 12v when the car is running because it comes from the alternator. My original fix of resoldering the ground wire fixed it to begin with. I wasted a bunch of time for nothing.

Christ.

I mean, looks at this sketchy shit with my ghetto test light made out of speaker wire, electrical tape, and a spare dome light bulb:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
Haven't really made much progress on the Talon lately. Not having a job gives me plenty of time but not enough excess money to do the things I want to do.

I've had a clunking noise on the front driver's side for a while when going over bumps. Control arm and bushings are new, end links are new, ball joint is new, sway bushing looks to be in good shape. I noticed that on the front strut tower, there are two nuts and one bolt. Well, that's weird. The bolt is loose. It actually wiggles quite a bit. Oh, great. It's basically a fake fastener. Somehow the stud is missing on the strut mount and someone just dropped a bolt in the hole so it looked like it was doing something.

Great.

I checked Advance Auto and saw this strut for $52. It looks to be a complete assembly with mount and spring. Seems too good to be true so I jumped on Advance Auto's really quick and really helpful (:roll:) chat system and the (wo)man eventually gets back to me and tells me it's just the strut and not the complete assembly. Misleading pricks.

A strut mount is $64 at Advance and $40 at Autozone. I'm considering just getting a bolt/nut that fits there (looks to be an M10x1.25) and fasten it that way. Rockauto also has a closeout on a strut mount for $6.25 and they only have one. I don't know if I trust one quite that cheap...

What issues could I run into with just using a nut/bolt?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:30:55 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
And more fucked up shit. My right turn signal has always been fast since I bought the car but all of the bulbs work fine. I decided to look into it today figuring maybe one of the bulbs was wrong.

Nope.

Just fucked up shit previous owners do. For whatever reason, the passenger side bulb socket was replaced with a slightly different one. It has 3 wires (the third is just cut off) and, of course, the splice job was as half-assed as it gets with the wires barely twisted and then electrical tape. I soldered them together and put on some heatshrink although I probably wasted my time since the signal is still fast. I'm going to have to find a 90-92 part-out and have someone cut off the connector and send it to me. Goddamnit.

EDIT: Oh my fucking god... I think the wires might be reversed. I need to check that shit out.

EDIT2: Holy mother of shit. What a goddamn idiot. He wired green/yellow (harness) to green/white (socket). The wire he snipped off (fairly short too...) is green/yellow. Motherfucker couldn't even match colors. WHY WAS THIS EVER EVEN REPLACED?!

There's enough wire there that I should be able to salvage it. Christ. What a pain. I'll have to use another piece of wire as an intermediate to lengthen the harness but I think it will be okay.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:00:47 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »
Holy fuck. That was it. I added an intermediate wire to add some length and got it soldered/heat shrinked. Blinker works just like it should now.

I'm now on to a more frustrating issue. My horn hasn't worked since I bought the car. How hard can it be, right?

Wrong.

I've just discovered that this car had a factory alarm system and it was removed. Why the fuck would you do that? Why? Why? Why would someone remove the factory alarm? Why would someone cut off the passenger turn signal socket and (poorly) wire on a different one but with reversed pins so it blinks fast? Why would someone remove the fog lights and cut off the wires?

Little shit like this begins to make me regret buying this particular car. I wish I had known so much shit was half-assed.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2014, 02:37:42 PM »
Well, I guess I'm just lucky in this regard. The #14 fuse was missing and is a very necessary component when a factory alarm is installed. I put a 10A fuse in, turned the key to on, pushed the horn, and now it makes noise.

It just amazes me what stupid shit people will do to a car. I would love to meet the guy that did all this stupid shit just so I could find out why the fuck it was done.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
haha, the joy of buying DSM's these days. damn near impossible to find one that hasn't had gobs of stupid shit done to it
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
Well, I officially have a normal speed right turn signal and working horns again. Still on my list of probably some sort of stupid wiring issue is the automatic seat belts. They don't move at all. Also on that list is my headlights. They pop up and down if I press and depress the button on the dash. If I turn the headlights on, they don't come up automatically. If the headlights are on, they won't pop up or down when I push the button. I don't even know where to start...

MadFairlane

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 11:04:45 PM »
I don't even know where to start...

With some fuel and a match by the sounds of it...
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »
You shut your whore mouth!

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
I've had a clunking noise on the front driver's side for a while when going over bumps. Control arm and bushings are new, end links are new, ball joint is new, sway bushing looks to be in good shape. I noticed that on the front strut tower, there are two nuts and one bolt. Well, that's weird. The bolt is loose. It actually wiggles quite a bit. Oh, great. It's a fake fastener. Somehow the stud is missing on the strut mount and someone just dropped a bolt in the hole so it looked like it was doing something.

Well, a new strut mount is $40 at Autozone. We can go cheaper. An M10x1.25x20mm bolt JB Welded to the mount and an accompanying nut to put on it.

But did it fix my clunking? No. Of course not. That would have been too easy. Guess I'll check the nut on the top of the strut. Fuck... is that loose? Impact just spins it and the strut. Easy. Vice grips on the piston, impact again. The nut just spins while tightening but it seems to be coming off when loosening. Goddamnit.

I rented a spring compressor from Autozone this morning. I'm going to remove the nut and hope that I can either tap the threads on it or replace it. I'm trying my best not to have to replace the strut.

NVmySSmaro

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
Do you mind if this makes it on to the FB page? Post any particular pics or info, that isn't already there, that you want me to tease them with if you are ok with it.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
I don't mind. It's not really anything to brag about though. It's still not running properly. :lol:

It's getting torn apart again this weekend.

On my to-do list:
- Pull trans
- Helicoil M8x1.25 trans bolt again since it clearly didn't work properly the first time
- Order a new clutch (going to contact Tim Zimmer, the owner of TMZ Performance about a South bend clutch)
- Send my flywheel to Tim so he can take it somewhere to have resurfaced specifically to work with whatever clutch he picks out
- Pull my steering rack, depower it, and replace the boots since one is torn
- Run a ghetto bead of silicone around the whole top of my windshield to attempt to finally stop water coming in when it rains
- Fabricate a spare tire hold-down out of a piece of wood, a threaded rod, and a couple nuts since the car didn't come with one
- Take my front passenger wheel to have the tire rebeaded because it leaks
- Get my seat belts to move again

I know there's more that I just can't think of though.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
Well, the trans is back out again. Only took about two hours and that was taking my time and having a few beers. I'm getting pretty good at this.

Last time I installed the trans, I noticed the bellhousing had a crack in it. Looks like it's getting worse:

I need to figure out what to do before it gets real bad. I don't know if a coating of JB Weld on top and bottom is enough or if I have to take it somewhere to have it welded. I'm figuring on the latter.

Too bad I don't have any money to finish this job. :(

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »
Well, I give up on trying to find someone local to fix the crack. I messaged a wheel repair company (says they fix cracked wheels) on Facebook and they said they can't weld aluminum. They gave me a number for a local welding place and no one picked up both times I called. I called another place and got some weird answering service, another place was some creepy voicemail.

My wife and I are heading out on Saturday to see Brian at Dynotech Tuning in Seekonk, MA to have it welded. He's a member on NewEngDSM and people speak highly of him as well as his welding skills.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
Drove out to see Brian and have him do the welding. It went well. It was nice to meet him and see the shop too. They had a ridiculously loud WRX on the dyno being tuned while I was there.

Pulled my steering rack out a little while ago. I initially pulled it to replace the boots because I couldn't get the tie rod ends off of it while it was still in the car. Those fuckers were really on there. However, since I had to pull it out, I'm going to be gutting it and converting it to a manual rack.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:32:16 AM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »
Took me a few hours tonight. It's amazing how much better it looks now that it's cleaned up, depowered, new boots, and new tie rod ends.

I just cut off all of the PS lines and crimped them shut.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
I never updated this thread but we tried putting the trans back in a couple weekends ago. Still having the same issue with the repaired bolt hole even with a new helicoil. Turns out I can't repair bolt holes properly. Looks like I didn't drill it out completely straight and that's causing a major problem with the helicoil. When the bolt gets tight, it just starts to strip and gall up the threads.

I don't believe my luck has run dry though. Thanks to a guy on NewEngDSM who used to have a roommate that lived not far from me, I was able to track down a machine shop in the area. I can't believe how hard it is to find one. I called today and talked to a guy about the issue. He said a Timesert won't work at this point so jumping to an a 10mm bolt is an option but I don't want to try to enlarge the hole in the block. I couldn't do this shit right so I would definitely fuck that up. Thankfully, TimeSert makes a BigSert product specifically for repaired bolt holes that didn't work properly. They don't own the kit but I asked about buying the kit and having them do the install for me. He agreed so I ordered it a little while ago. $80 for the kit and $5 for an extra long insert (the ones in the kit are 11.7mm, this one is 18mm) just be sure.

I want to drive this damn thing.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
Took the trans to Center Auto Machine Shop this morning with the BigSert kit that I purchased. The guy who I originally spoke to on the phone seemed pretty confident from the start. I got a call two hours later that it was done and it went smoothly. I offered up the BigSert kit as payment for the work since I won't use it myself and he agreed.

Looks damn good. He had to ream out the dowel hole a bit to get the counterbore tool in there so I'm going to have to see how the dowel fits and maybe wrap it in some electrical tape or something to pad it out.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »
I made something.

I used a long bolt with some washers and a couple spacers so that it would still allow the platform to rotate like the normal jack plate does. It worked great. I still had a buddy here to help me with the install but it was so nice not to have to worry about whether or not the trans is going to fall off the jack. The trans is back in and that problematic bolt is torqued to 20 lbs. I still have to put everything else back together but that should only take a couple hours this week.

Slow4g63

• drama queen dsm
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 02:17:28 AM »
hmm, I need one of those! I've usually just lifted it up while a buddy bolts it in from up top, and then my arms and back have hated me the following day(s).
2006 Chevy Corvette
2004 Honda Civic Ex
1996 Chevy K1500 ExtCab 4x4
1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD