Author Topic: 1990 Talon TSi AWD  (Read 32931 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: 1990 Talon TSi AWD
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
Let me start by saying that I love Harbor Freight. Paid $100 with tax (20% off coupon!) for this 1/2" cordless impact and it was worth every fucking penny. Busted my driver's axle nut off without any issues. After two rounds of PB Blaster, it took 5 out of 6 flywheel bolts off. One more round of PB and a full battery charge took out the last one. You can also see my $18 4.5" angle grinder as well. That makes an appearance in one of the below pictures.

So, let's start from the beginning yesterday. Began working on the car around 9am. My new Harbor Freight (notice a pattern here?) 3-ton jack made short work of getting the car nice and high in the air. Had it maxed out on my Craftsman jacks and had plenty of room to work. Impact takes off both wheels and the driver's axle nut without blinking. Balljoint time. It wanted absolutely nothing to do with coming out. Beat on the LCA for probably a half hour or so with absolutely no progress.

Okay, let's ignore that one for now. Gotta take the passenger axle nut off. Nope. Impact doesn't do anything. Okay, well let's get the breaker bar out with my 4-foot cheater bar. The bar starts to bend (admittedly not the strongest bar)and I'm actually spinning the tire even though it has weight on the ground. Next round is someone standing on the brake. The first sacrifice takes place. My 7+ year old breaker bar from Autozone snaps. Okay. Back to that ball joint. Still nope. Time to get a pickle fork since I bought new balljoints anyway.

So, off to Autozone for a propane torch, a new breaker bar, and a pickle fork. They had a gorgeous 3/4" ratchet there that looked indestructible but no 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and no 3/4" drive axle socket. I grab a breaker bar, a $25 torch (the cheaper one), and a beautiful ball joint pickle fork. Oh yeah, I also picked up a 2# dead blow mallet. $10? Why not.

With new tools in hand, the ball joint eventually pops loose after a hell of a fight with the pickle fork. Back to that axle nut. Let's try my 1/2" Craftsman ratchet because it's free to replace if it breaks. Well, it did break. I'll be driving to my nearest Sears at some point to have them swap the head. Time for some heat. Man, this torch is a complete piece of shit. Barely stays lit. 3/4 of the gas used was just trying to get the fucker to light for more than a few seconds. New breaker bar? Break'd. And that was without a cheater bar because the pipe didn't fit over the rubber grip at the bottom of the handle. It's going back because it broke the same day I bought it while applying only the amount of torque a single human can exert on it.

Well, time to stop screwing around. I broke out my awesome 12-volt cordless Dremel and a cutting wheel. Brand new O'Reilly's axles are waiting to swap in so no worries about destroying the old one. My goal was to cut a chunk out of the nut and split it with a chisel. Yeah, right. Out comes my brand new 4.5" Harbor Freight angle grinder and cutting wheels that just happened to be delivered the day prior. I just cut right down the middle to cut the nut in half and then used the chisel to break it loose from the axle. Success.

Other than that, there wasn't really any major setbacks. Had some trouble pulling the speedometer cable from the trans. The damn thing would not come out. Ended up using a pry bar and a hammer to get it to twist a bit and then popped it loose from under the car once the bracket was exposed. Also, looks like one of the previous owners hit something that curled up the front of the subframe which covered two of the bolt heads. Used my Dremel to cut away the curled part and removed the bolts. After that, there was some teetering with the trans on the jack and trying to lower it out of the car without it falling off.

Finished around 8pm. I then started to exhaustingly begin trying to clean all of the grease off of myself and my tools.

Not bad for the first time I've ever pulled a trans out of a car.

Here's some pictures:

A close-up of my awesome Dremel:

And then I gave up and used my angle grinder:

Rob (slaptastic) working on the lower trans bolts. You can also see my other friend Lucas' legs in the background:

Trans is removed:

Poor stock clutch:

Lots of PB on the flywheel bolts:

The face of success:

The aftermath of the axle nut:

Waiting for the shipping box from Jack's to send it in for the 1.1 rebuild:

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »
Harbor Freight has made quite a few projects possible with the ludicrously cheap tools they sell  :yup:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
Agreed. For someone who's a professional, I can see why they would shy away from them. But for someone who just works on their own cars or does other things as a hobby, they work great. Just don't expect miracles.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »
Harbor Freight is awesome....especially if you read the fine print about warranties on some of the shit. When we were building the Haunt a couple years ago we bought just about all our tools their and made sure they had the lifetime warranty so we could return them if they broke...and shockingly many of them do.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:54 PM »
Hmm... something's not right about this old filter... that inlet was pretty tough to get off.

Great. The inlet line is bent at a terrible angle that makes it impossible to put the inlet on and bracket the filter down. Also, the inlet doesn't seem to want to thread properly either. It was tough to get off the old filter and it seems impossible to get on the new one more than 3/4 of a turn.

This is the little bastard.

Is there some way to safely (and not breakly) bend the fuel line so it sits at a better angle? Also, any ideas why I can't get it to thread in to the new filter very well? It was very difficult to get off of the old one. I'm contemplating just trying to get the old filter back on for the time being.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:54:27 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
After a discussion on New England DSM about the condition of my flywheel, I ordered an ACT Streetlite as a replacement. It clocks in at ~12 lbs which is a good chunk lighter than the stock 19. Fidanza makes an aluminum flywheel that's 7 lbs but I don't want to sacrifice too much driveability.

Picture of my flywheel cleaned up a bit:

The new clutch out of the box:

I can't wait to get all of this back together. I still need to change out the rear main seal before I get the trans back. After that, I'm just waiting on the trans to show up and then I'll have to figure out what bolts go where.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
Well, I give up on the fuel filter shit. I'm ordering a tank to rail kit to replace the fuel line with 6AN hose and a better filter from STM. I'm also ordering their fuel pump rewire kit since I'm going to have to dig around back there anyway to replace the line. Might as well do it at the same time to get rid of the well-known voltage drop from small gauge wire. Thankfully I get a bit of a discount on parts through Dynotech Tuning because I'm a member on New England DSM.

This project is getting expensive. :lol:

slo svo

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
They always do. :lol:  Wait until you crack into the motor on that thing,  it starts to snowball fast.
LS1 Camaro Z28: TC76 turbo/T56/MWC 9"
FC Mazda RX7: LSX/T56
E34 525i: S50/Precision 6266
E39 540i/6 Sport

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »
I can believe it. As long as nothing blows up, I'll be taking it slow. Once all of this shit is out of the way, I'm going to get my ECU socketed with DSMLink and start to log and tune. That's a fairly hefty investment itself though.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »
I got the old fuel filter back on. That should buy me a bit of time before I have to change out that line. The kit is already on order but at least now (assuming nothing at the filter leaks) I don't need to get it swapped before I can drive it once the trans is installed again.

New rear seal is installed. However, there wasn't a gasket on it when I removed it which I find very odd and a little disconcerting.

Found my driver's side tie rod boot is torn:

Also discovered that I have 3" exhaust from the turbo back to the cat and then it looks like stock size piping back to the muffler. WTF.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
It's getting there. Just got an email update from Jack's that my trans has been cleaned and ready for inspection. I assume this is the inspection before the rebuild.

I ordered a bunch of replacement bolts (trans mounts, flywheel, pressure plate, exhaust studs/nuts) from JNZ and they just finally fucking shipped today. Coming from Philly so I may have them on Saturday. I want to get the clutch installed so I can just throw the trans at it once it gets here.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
The trans was inspected and it needs a helicoil in one of the bolt holes where the trans mount bolts to the trans. I knew that was going to be the case so it's more than worth the $10 they charge for a helicoil. Other than that, good to go. They sent my diff out for the 4-spider conversion and once it's back, they'll begin the rebuild.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
Helped a friend replace is brakes on Saturday so I put him to work to help me get the new flywheel and clutch installed. Brand new flywheel and pressure plate bolts. Loctite red on the flywheel bolts torqued to 98#. Pressure plate bolts torqued to 16#.

Now I just need to wait for the trans to come back.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
The trans is going to be here Tuesday. Unfortunately, I don't know when it's going to go back in. I hurt my back again over a week ago and it's been pretty miserable. Been to the doctor twice and I have another follow-up on Wednesday which I'm going to push for an MRI. My pelvis keeps sitting crooked and it's causing a lot of pain when walking or standing. The percocet helps but it's not perfect.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
Well, the trans is in after wrestling with it for two days. Ran into one problem after another.

Here it is out of the box all pretty:

Snapped the M8x1.25x60 bolt that threads in through the block and into the trans with 25# on a torque wrench. Pulled the trans back out. Ran to Autozone for an ez-out and an M8x1.25x50 (longest they had) bolt. Found out the threads in the trans were bad so we quickly drove to Home Depot for an M8x1.25 tap (I didn't have a metric tap & die set until today). Re-threaded the hole, new bolt is installed for now until I can get a real replacement.

One bolt on the starter got cross-threaded so that was the end of the night for us around 3am. Drove to Harbor Freight this morning for a metric tap & die set ($16 -- pretty nice set). Re-threaded the starter holes and ran the die over the bolt threads. Starter is installed.

After getting the trans back in, we realized the reverse switch cable wouldn't reach the switch anymore. The harness was stuck behind the speed sensor. We had a lot of trouble getting the sensor back in and I think the bolt is cross-threaded but I'm not willing to pull it to find out so, instead of taking it back out, we cut and extended the reverse switch wire.

Got the studs installed in my O2 housing with Autozone's stud puller/remover. Had some trouble getting the nuts on tight enough because there isn't much room around them but it's tight.

Had a lot of fun pulling the control arms to press in the new ball joints with Autozone's ball joint press. Worked pretty well once you figure out how to use it. While putting the passenger control arm back in, we broke the stabilizer link. I ordered two new ones from Advance Auto. They'll be here this week.

Finally installed:

Aaaaaaaaaand I found a coolant leak that I'm assuming is due to a bad o-ring on the inlet tube at the water pump. I was tightening a bolt under the car when I noticed a coolant leak started. It's dripping fast enough that I'm not happy just dealing with it. I have to pull at least the turbo in order to get to the bolt for the inlet tube. Then I need to get a new o-ring and I should (hopefully) be all set.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Sounds like you've been having fun.

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:37 PM »
Ordered a replacement o-ring for the inlet pipe on the water pump, a new set of lug nuts because mine are in pretty rough shape, new boots for the steering rack (one is torn), new tie rod end dust boots, a new M8-1.25x60mm bolt to replace the 50mm one that's just kind of hanging out, and a new pair of sway bar links.

More money but a lot of piece of mind with having some of this stuff replaced. I hope to have a little bit of time this weekend to work on the car but I have to work at least Sunday and probably Monday so we'll see.

I also decided that I'm going to try to notch the bracket for the inlet pipe so I don't have to remove the manifold/turbo. I took a quick look at it when I got home from work and it seems plausible.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:09 AM »
Got the tranny filled last night with Redline MT-90. Still haven't started the car. I want to get that bolt replaced and fix the rest of the stuff before I fire it up. With the car off, I can only get into 2nd. I'm going to pull the shift linkages off and see if I can shift the trans with them off. I have a feeling I need to adjust them.

I also unbolted my turbo and pushed it out of the way a bit to get to the bolt for the inlet pipe. I broke it loose and called it a night. I don't have the new o-ring yet and I haven't drained any coolant so pulling the inlet pipe right now would be a messy affair.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
Well, the beautiful new end links I bought are so nice they have zerks fittings. Unfortunately, the fitting for the top bushing rubs the axle boot.

Motherfucker. Now they have to go back and I have to find an alternative. Either that or run without the fittings... maybe take out the fitting and throw a dab of silicone on it?

EDIT: I'm just gonna pick up a pair of Duralast end links at Autozone. They're $17/each with no zerks fittings so I know they'll fit. Good enough for me. I was going to have to take one of these Moog links back anyway because it didn't come with hardware and none of my local stores even have any in stock. It would have been a pain in the ass. My local Autozone has these end links in stock so I can grab them before work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:30:49 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »
Got the new end links in tonight. Also pulled the t-case and replaced that trans bolt with a proper M8-1.25x60mm 10.8 grade bolt and a split washer. The previous bolt stripped like 4 threads out of the hole in the trans. Thankfully, the new bolt is longer and tightened without any issues. I didn't quite torque it to spec though because I was worried about stripping it out worse. I'd rather have a bolt in there with blue Loctite under spec than not have one at all.

I was going to replace the boots on my steering rack but turns out I can't get the damn tie rod ends to unscrew. :lol: For now, I give up, but I really need to get it done since one of the boots is torn. Maybe I'll just pay someone to do it. Shouldn't cost more than $100 to do it. I should probably just buy new tie rod ends. I bought new dust caps but I'm not 100% sure they're even compatible because the dust caps on the OEM tie rod ends are sealed -- not replaceable. We'll see.

EDIT: Or it could be that I'm retarded. I just quickly watched a Youtube video about tie rod ends. I was trying to turn the jam nut. I thought that nut was part of the tie rod end. I'll try again tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:13:34 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
I bailed on the steering rack boots again. I just cannot get the tie rod ends off. They simply don't turn. Instead, I just changed out the tie rod dust boots for now. Sooner rather than later I'll have to have a shop replace the rack boots.

However, that doesn't even matter for now. I can't get in to 5th or reverse. I pulled the shift cables off and tried to shift at the levers on the trans and nothing. 1, 2, 3, 4 all good. I emailed Jack's Transmissions about it but I won't hear back until Monday or Tuesday. I'm a fucking idiot for not trying it before putting the trans in the car but I didn't expect anything like this. There's one or two things I can check on my own but it involves pulling off the end case and that requires draining the trans. For now, I'll wait to hear a response. I don't want to drain my brand new MT-90.

Oh, and my car makes a squealing noise off throttle at 3k+. I don't know what it is. I'm hoping BOV and not the turbo dying. When I first heard the noise, I checked the BOV and noticed the vent line to the intake manifold wasn't hooked up so I re-attached it and I still have the noise.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6XpEuQDS-4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6XpEuQDS-4</a>
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:08:35 PM by Kalgorn »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »
Jesus christ. I'm an idiot. In regards to the issue that I can't shift into 5th/R, it was me. Somehow, I lost the washer for the reverse switch. Because of that, the switch sat just a hair too low and couldn't engage. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow at the dealer on my way to work.

Still haven't worked out this "zipping" noise in the video above. I'm fairly confident it's the BOV but I don't know why it didn't make that noise before. It only does it if you drop off the throttle quickly at 3.5k+ RPM. I took it up to 5k and slowly back down without any noise. I revved the engine while under the hood and it sure as shit sounds like it's coming from the BOV.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:56 PM »
I'm focusing on the air box/MAF for this "zipping" noise but I still don't know what it is. It only happens if I quickly drop off of the throttle. I'm thinking it's simply a weird vibration but I can't pinpoint it. My car does have a hacked up MAF with a K&N attached (Picture) but I still find it odd it never made this noise before.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
This car has quickly become frustrating.

I rebuilt the pedal assembly (I'll post pics when I have a chance) to remove the "slop" I had (I could move the pedal about 1/2" up by hand at its natural resting point). I still can move it 1/8" or so but I don't know if that's a bad thing or just normal. That 1/8" is after it hits the clutch switch so perhaps the switch is providing enough resistance that it can't move all the way? Who fucking knows. I'm going to replace the master at this point. I may have an internal leak in the master that's letting air pass and not giving me enough throw.

In other news, I'm also still having an idle/stumble issue on a cold start. I deleted the EGR system because fuck emissions (also to help eliminate that as a possible idle issue), I replaced the BISS screw o-ring, and I set the base idle using the factory procedure. Once the car is warmed up, it idles fine (slight idle surge but I'm working on that). The general consensus is it's my shitty 1g MAF. The fact that it's been hacked up also doesn't help. The lower honeycomb was removed and that can cause idle issues.

So... I've sourced a local '96 GSX at a junkyard that was just acquired recently. They do a quick video and some pictures to show you the car running and some of the parts. They're selling the MAF for $30 but this thing has an Injen-style intake pipe and a K&N filter as well so I called and talked to a guy about buying all of that. He told me to come to the yard when I had a chance and he'll take me out to the car so I can pick through it and get everything I need. Pretty cool and perfect timing. I'm going tomorrow morning before work. To offset the increased air with the 2g MAF, I need 550cc injectors or a tune. I ordered a set from a guy on DSMTuners for $110.

I'm also working on building a boost leak tester because boost leaks are such a common problem on these cars. They can also cause idle surge issues. I got a handful of parts yesterday and I have to pick up the rest tomorrow morning because my local hardware store didn't have the 3" coupler in stock.

I also bought a couple parts from a guy on NewEngDSM just because he had them available for a good price. For $100, I got a ported 2g exhaust manifold and an Evo III O2 housing. He's going to drop them at my house on Saturday. He's lending me an ISC to swap in as well to see if that fixes my idle issues.

Things are going. I really just want to get this clutch shit figured out. That's the most important thing right now.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »
Man, I really lucked out today. I went to the junkyard and got the 2g MAF and Injen intake pipe for $55. This intake pipe (and a filter) runs $200+ new.

They actually scrapped the car either this morning or yesterday and they must have trashed the air filter with it. I just need to grab a quick measurement so I know what size filter to buy. Now I'm just waiting on injectors (bought a set of RC 550cc injectors from a guy on DSMTuners for $110) and a 2g to 1g MAF adapter plug from a guy on 3si.org. The same guy I bought the manifold and O2 housing from is also selling me a used clutch master he has for $60 (half the price of new) so hopefully that cures my fucking clutch drag.

I'd like to get this thing up an running within a week. I think the longest wait will be for the MAF adapter since I think they're made to order.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:20:13 PM by Kalgorn »