Author Topic: 1973 Datsun headlights say F You!  (Read 2190 times)

Aircooled

• New Directions
1973 Datsun headlights say F You!
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
 :-\ After putting my dashboard back in and wiring the car back up everything works except the headlights themselves. I have brake lights, blinker, hazards, running lights, dash lights. Headlights will not turn on no matter what. This is strange since all the fuses are good, and I didn't change anything... Any suggestions? I know the switch works, since it is powering all the other lights. Is it possible that partof the switch burnt out?

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
Re: 1973 Datsun headlights say F You!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
:-\ After putting my dashboard back in and wiring the car back up everything works except the headlights themselves. I have brake lights, blinker, hazards, running lights, dash lights. Headlights will not turn on no matter what. This is strange since all the fuses are good, and I didn't change anything... Any suggestions? I know the switch works, since it is powering all the other lights. Is it possible that partof the switch burnt out?

It's possible that a switch could go bad, but I'd grab a multimeter and start checking the headlight circuit to see exactly where the problem lies.. You might have just missed a plug or a pinched wire could have finally given out.

GooneyBird

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
Does the headlight relays click? Is it getting power on the switch-side and the constant 12V side?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:17:05 PM by GooneyBird »
'98 Opel Astra 1.6 16V
'08 Kymco Dink 50

Aircooled

• New Directions
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »
Going to take it to a shop and get a full tune-up etc. Possibly driving it from El Paso to PA :laugh:

Aircooled

• New Directions
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »
Never mind about the shops around here.... They didn't even know what my car was. I got brave and rebuilt a 300 dollar combo switch and now my lights work. It was all for free!