Author Topic: [Album] Killswitch Engage- Disarm the Descent  (Read 1815 times)

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
[Album] Killswitch Engage- Disarm the Descent
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »
With the release of their 5th album, KsE are in many ways starting over. Their original singer Jesse Leach has returned to the band following the seemingly abrupt departure of Howard Jones. While both Jesse and Howard are amazing vocalists, they each have a very distinctive sound. Jesse can pull off Howard's songs live, but I highly doubt he would have ever written anything lyrically or melodically like them. Jesse's delivery and sound is more raw, and blunt where Howard always errred more on the side of pretty melodies. So the band was put into the situation of having to get back to writting with Jesse in mind instead of Howard. That said....I'm gonna be honest, I kinda do miss Howard, but Jesse knocks the ball out of the park. I was a fan of his post KsE work with Seemless, The Empire Shall Fall and Times of Grace and of course Alive or Just Breathing was and continues to be one of my favorite records of all time. Ironically, Howards debut record The End of Heartache is also one of my favorite records as well.

Disarm The Descent unfortunately doesn't surpass either of those albums, but I wasn't really expecting it to. In fact, I deliberately tried to keep my expectations as low as I could so I wasn't disappointed. This album does however blow As Daylight Dies and the 2009 self titled album away. If this had come out on the heels of Alive or Just Breathing....it would have been a worthy successor, but since The End of Heartache exists, I'm gonna have to give this album a 3rd place finish. The song writing is still top notch with all the elements blending and complimenting each other. The guitar work is complex, but not noodling and distracting, Justin Foley's drumming is a steady background with subtle touches here and there that you pick up during repeated lessons that just make it sound that much better. The only real beef I have with this album is with the production. Its TOO good, TOO pretty. Jesse can sing just fine on his own, he isn't fucking Phil Labonte, he doesn't need his vocals finagled with. The rawness of Alive or Just Breathing is one of its best aspects, and on this album Adam D. has applied perhaps a bit too much of his signature production, and in the end the choruses sometimes sound too clean, with no real emotion in the vocals. But thats a minor complaint about an otherwise stellar album.

Ratings:
As a stand alone album: 9/10
As a KsE album: 7.95/10

KsE POWER RANKINGS:
The End of Heartache
Alive or Just Breathing
Disarm The Descent
As Daylight Dies
Killswitch Engage
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

1fastII

• KWEH?!
Re: [Album] Killswitch Engage- Disarm the Descent
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »
I streamed it once, I thought it was OK. Maybe my mind will change after I've heard it a couple of times in the car.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Musically, its a lot less "poppy" than the last two albums have been. It sounds more like Alive or Just Breathing in that department to me. I've listened to it about 4 times today so far (I wear albums out FAST) and I can sorta understand the vocal production a bit more, I think some of it was done to make this album more easy to digest for Howard Jones fans since Howard's voice was very "full" if you know what I mean where as Jesse's is a bit more high in tone. The only song though that it really, really bugs me on is Always...if they would have just let Jesse sing it, and not dickered with it too much then it would have been a much better song IMO.

I just listened to Alive or Just Breathing and Disarm the Descent back to back, and it seems like other than the cleans being obviously more digitally molested on Disarm, and having some of Adam's backing vocals layered in they stand up pretty well side by side. I'm pretty happy with this record honestly!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:14:54 PM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
Enjoying it so far!  Been listening to this and the 7Dust album lately.
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:17 AM »
I'm really liking A New Awakening, In Due Time and A Tribute to The Fallen, holy shit those choruses get stuck in your head!

His name was Meatywand.

1fastII

• KWEH?!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
After listening to it a couple more times, I'm digging it.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
The Call has an interesting chorus, with Jesse crooning out meaningful POSITIVE lyrics over a fucking blast beat :lol: Its so weird it works for me. I'm kinda liking Jesse's lyrics too, the positivity is a nice change from listening to a giant scary black man cry about bitches.

His name was Meatywand.

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
Did you get the special edition disc?  Has a couple extras on it.
REALLY liking this album....wearing it out like a mofo.
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
Did you get the special edition disc?  Has a couple extras on it.
REALLY liking this album....wearing it out like a mofo.
No, I need to go hunt down those extra songs.

His name was Meatywand.