Author Topic: Any one have experience with the 02-08 Rams?  (Read 8240 times)

ling427ttvette

Any one have experience with the 02-08 Rams?
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
My house has sold, and I am tired of driving the Cavalier. Yes, I have a 95 Ram but technically it is my wifes. A few years ago all I wanted for my manly vehicle was the Camaro. Needs and wants have changed, and I want a 4wd.

My requirements are 4wd, readily available bumper replacements (like my Ranch Hand) and either extended or crew cab. I love the 2nd gen Rams, but finding them with a lower mileage will be hard, although it won't turn me away. So, I'm thinking about the 02-06 Rams. Anyone have experience with them, is the front suspension a big problem area? The track bar on mine has been a huge problem for me. I've heard about newer ones eating up ball joints.

I've also thought about the early 2000 Silverados up to 2007 or whenever they quit the slanted headlight and went with the new one piece lights.

Part of me really wants a mid 80's K5 Blazer, there's one in town that's caught my eye but it spends more time at the mechanic than on the road. Need to talk to him and see what the deal is.

Input, comments, suggestions?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Any one have experience with the 02-08 Rams?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
01-02 Silverado:

03-Early 07 Silverado:

Late 07-Current Silverado:

The current Silverado is the best, but some of the earlier 5.3's had camshaft issues. Saw a lot coming in for camshaft replacement under warranty, sometimes resulting in whole engine replacement if the owner ignored it long enough. The issue has been resolved in the later models. They ride great, look great, decent interior for a truck, and they don't feel ENORMOUS like a Dodge or a Ford. Having driven all 3, the Silverado definitely feels like the truck I'd choose as a daily driver. As a work horse, however... I wouldn't get any less than a 2500HD. Not saying it can't handle the work, but I think Ford and Dodge are tougher trucks in general. This Silverado has a nice feature, the extended cab rear doors fold open all the way parallel to the truck bed. Very convenient.

01 through early 07 is basically the same truck aside from the cosmetic updates. The emergency brake is basically a mini drum brake set up in the hat of the rear rotors, and they almost ALWAYS prevent the rear rotors from being removed easily. They went back to rear drums for the 07 and up models. Get used to the term "piston slap". 01-02 are really rust prone, especially the rockers and bed sides... not sure what they changed for 03 and up but those don't seem to be quite as bad. Spare tire carrier will freeze up, might as well remove the spare tire immediately and leave it in the bed. One of the daytime running lights (a smaller light next to the turn signal) will almost always go out on these for some reason. I rarely see one of these trucks with both lights working. The brake booster and power steering operate as part of the same unit, so if you lose one, you lose the other - a problem I've seen with my friend Jessica's truck, her boyfriend's truck, and several more trucks that came into the shop.

The Dodges seem nice, but they also seem like the sheet metal is larger than the actual truck itself is. They handle somewhat sloppy but seem to ride nice.

The Fords feel tough, but I personally think they drive like shit. Terrible turning radius, terrible handling, but they do feel like you could abuse the shit out of them. Can't let sales numbers fool you either - they may be the highest selling pick up in America, but they're also the truck of choice for most fleets due to the price an options for the basic work truck. That skews those numbers a bit.

I obviously have way more experience with the Chevys but I have had plenty of time behind the wheel of the Dodges and Fords too... So, to break it down:

Silverado 1500 - Something you can drive comfortably every day, do some work with, put under some abuse but you PROBABLY don't want it as a work horse.

Ram 1500 - Rides and handles a little more plush than the F150 but not as good as the Silverado, though it's probably more suitable as a work horse than the Silverado.

F150 - A truck as you expect a truck to be. Something I'd rather have on the farm than as my daily driver, but I wouldn't be afraid to put it to work.

So I guess... go out and start driving some. Decide what you would most use it for and look for a truck that meets that criteria.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:19:39 PM by 00XJ »

ling427ttvette

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
My biggest problem with the rear rotors on the early 2000 Silverados was they would always get rocks in them and chew up the rotors and pads. Usually saw that on farm pickups though.

My moms husband has an 05 Silverado that I've driven a little bit and I do really like it, but I'm planning on giving whatever I buy a little lift and tire love, which is partially why I want something with a solid front axle so I don't have to mess with the IFS, but with the suspension setup of the 2nd gen Rams I doubt they are much cheaper.

I've driven a few newer Fords, not to impressed really. They aren't bad, just not a fan.

I've never had the chance to look, did they put a solid front axle in the 02 and up 1/2 ton Rams? I'm partially to damn indecisive, but so far I am almost positive I will end up with a Ram. I spent a few hours on Craigslist and atleast 85% of what I bookmarked were 2nd gen Dodges, some 3rd gen and the rest were Silverados from 00 to 05.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3679681521.html

This one here has really, really peaked my interest.. I am wanting a winch ready front bumper replacement, this one already has a winch.. I could sell off the cheesy ass grill guard to get more money towards a nice bumper instead.. 9" of lift total which I am not sure if I want quite that much, but I really, really like it..

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3678539220.html

I also like this one, much less mileage but for a few hundred more I can have the other one with many more goodies..

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3684698715.html
This one isn't bad, and leaves me room to do what I want.. but I've confirmed they have IFS, the pick-ups I've driven with IFS just ride to car like for me..

I found a couple of Silverados I liked (Yes, I know they have IFS) but they have already sold.. I can't do much until I have the money in my hand from the house, not going to immediately rush out and spend it though.

I've also thought a little bit about going with a Cherokee, but so far I seem to be fairly fixated on a Ram mostly because I am always using my current pickup for throwing shit in the back of and hauling it around.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »
Cherokee bro! :lol:

Have a look at cherokeeforum.com if you're at all interested in one. A wealth of information there. 99 is probably the best overall year if you can find one, as 2000 and up had the weaker head casting and are allegedly more prone to cracking (it's made out to be a lot worse than it really is).

MadFairlane

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »
Get a RAM, with a diesel.

1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

ling427ttvette

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »
Fuck me. I need to quit looking on Craigslist, I've got bookmarks of vehicles running out of my ass ..

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/3689720120.html

Really liking this one, but I am going back and forth on owning a diesel. I do want one bad, but cost of maintenance, lack of knowledge on them makes me second guess getting one..

Also liking this one:
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3668438203.html

Really needs a headlight change though.. that looks fucking retarded. And it's probably only got the 4.7 in it. :-/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:54:28 PM by ling427ttvette »

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
I have seen quite a few of the newer ram's come in needing ball joints. I've also seen a lot with cracked dashes and almost falling out the truck. These trucks are ifs on the 1/2 ton.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
I knew about the cracking dash, my 95 is cracked up real bad. Need to replace it before it falls in. I did remember some 2000 and up Dodges having ball joint issues but I couldn't remember which ones.

Kau Boi

• Jewish Gangster, I spray paint things in Lansing
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
'04 and up F150 in my opinion. Just get the spark plugs changed with the one piece ones and you are all set
--- 2013 Ford Taurus SEL  -  1984 Honda Shadow ---

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
Honestly, as much as I dislike the newer f series trucks, I see less of them come through the shop than anything else.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »
Well, I think I've decided that as long as everything works out how I want it to, the 01 Ram is coming home with me tomorrow. I've read some reviews saying the dealership can be a hassle to deal with as far as financing, so I'm going to call the credit union tomorrow if they are open. I'll be putting $1k down, so that should get their attention. But, if I like it enough and they want to dick me around on financing, I'll just pay for it out right. Really not wanting to spend all my money at once, but my financial situation just turned around for the better so I'd be able to save that money back fairly quickly.

Anyone have suggestions for haggling with a stealership?

MadFairlane

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
You have cash. Just lowball them and see what happens

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
Well, just remember that they are there to make money, not to provide charity. Don't buy the paint protection or wheel and tire protection crap. Jus politely decline if they offer it, and if they push it tell them you are 100% sure of your answer. You will over pay for the truck, that's how they make money... And the first person to lose money when you haggle is the sales person, so if you talk them down a lot, at least be friendly to the guy whose commission you just squashed. I see customers being very rude to sales people constantly, and a lot of times they only make $10 on the deal when all is said and done, so they worked all day with a customer to make no money because the customer goes into the whole deal with an entitlement attitude.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
The pickup sold the day before I went. They were polite enough to call me when I was almost there, only a 3 hour drive one way. I went anyway just to see what else they had.

All I can say is I will never go back. He pulled up in an 01 Sierra with 172k. We drove it and it wasnt bad, just not what I wanted. He pulled the dipsticks and barely showed me the fluids, wouldn't tell me the price until I committed to buying it, he was more worried about getting my monthly payment where I wanted it. Told him to kick rocks. Came home empty handed, I was fucking furious after dealing with that crook. 

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Wait, what? Wouldn't tell you the price until you were committed? I would have walked away right then and there, that's fucking ridiculous.

You're probably better off going to a franchise dealership that also has a used car department. I can't speak for Ford or Chrysler, but GM is will tolerate absolutely zero bullshit regarding the way their dealerships treat customers, so chances are if you go to one and have a bad experiences, one call or email to the regional manager will have a boot up their ass pretty quickly.

MadFairlane

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 10:28:47 PM »
Buy new... A stripper F truck would work...

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »
I know its been kicked around, but I second Nick's recommendation of the 01 and later Silverados, I had an 01 Z-71 basically identical to Mick's but with 4 doors and it was nice....much, much nicer than the shit Heep I'm driving now :lol: It was bought new in 2001 by my Dad's company and used as a work truck before I bought it and the only major issue I had was swapping in a new alternator somewhere after 100k miles.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

NovaDK13

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
I like my 99 silverado the thing to watch out for is rocker rust on the 99-05 are the worst mine are solid but starting to get surface rust keeping an eye on them. I'd recomend at least a extended cab my reg cab is a little little sometimes, especially when we go camping me the girl and my dog in front of reg cab gets tight.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »
Nick, I went to a big name dealer with their own huge used car lot. They have an amazing selection, but they are crooks. No idea how true it is, but he kept telling me I needed to buy something newer and with less miles because its easier to finance. Makes no sense to me, I would think something that costs less is easier to finance because they don't stand to lose as much money. 

I have found a 97 Chevy that I am buying as soon as the guy gets his other vehicle.

Yeah the hood sucks, it's got a little rice. The only way it's coming off is if I can straight trade for a cowl or factory hood. The black is actually rhino lining. Motor has 50k, truck has 150k. I already have a donor parts truck should I need parts. The only thing I am spending money on to change is it will get a full bumper replacement like my Dodge has. That bull bar is pretty lame.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
It's actually easier to finance something newer with less miles because the vehicle is worth more and that makes it easier for the bank to recover their "investment" if something were to happen. Seems dumb but it's the case. A lot of banks won't even finance older vehicles. Typically there's a cutoff year.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

ling427ttvette

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
That's part of the reason I didn't feel like trying to finance for a private sale, didn't want the hassle. Just going to pay for it and not worry about payments.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
Mark my word that Chevrolet will be a big money pit. :slap2:
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »
Mark my word that Chevrolet will be a big money pit. :slap2:

A bad experience with one notoriously bad model warrants writing off an entire manufacturer?

For 2000 and up Chevy vehicles, don't buy:
Any Malibu before the 2008 model
The first generation Equinox
Any Aveo, period

And you're pretty much good to go. The rest of the Chevy fleet is generally reliable.

Grim91Z

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 12:24:44 AM »
My dad had a 91 Silverado. Pretty reliable other than a crumby battery terminal and a wonky wiper motor.
Formerly DoD.