Author Topic: Notebook graphics card died... time to build a desktop  (Read 2863 times)

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
Notebook graphics card died... time to build a desktop
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:40:04 AM »
So the graphics card on my notebook (Lenovo Y560 w/ Raedon Mobility 5730) took a dump out of warranty. Luckily, it also had integrated graphics so it's still functional, but useless for gaming. I haven't checked replacement costs, but I imagine it will be several hundred dollars since it would require replacement of the entire motherboard. It likely won't be worth it, considering I spent $699 on it over a year and a half ago. I take it as a sign to just build a desktop. It left my desk only a handful of times a month anyway.

Problem is, I've been completely out of the loop for several years when it comes to computer hardware, so I need your help. Main functions/requirements are:

• To be able to handle any Creative Suites application fairly easily, especially photoshop where I often do large file processing (HDR photography, panoramas, RAW file editing, etc.).
  • 8gb+ of ram is a must with a lot of those processes, and it helps with quicker photo management.
  • Gaming - I don't need anything crazy. My notebook could handle most games well enough at mid-high settings. Just looking for the best value in a graphics card.
  • I figure it's fairly standard on mobos by now, but USB 3 capability would be nice.
  • HDD - My notebook has a small SSD for the OS in addition to a standard HDD. Not sure if this is something I should employ in a desktop build. Would a fast HDD do well enough? Is it a good idea to go with a few storage drives instead of one big one? My photos get backed up on an external HDD anyway, but I'd still like to reduce the risk of losing files.
  • This is all in addition to typical usage, including media storage and playing, the internets, MS office, etc.
  • My PS3 and laptop can serve as bluray players, so I don't need on for the desktop. I'll probably want an internal card reader as well.

As far as a budget, the cheaper the better, but I'd like to keep it around $800 (not including monitor/accessories) give or take a hundred, or two if necessary.

I know newegg is a preferred retailer, but they charge sales tax in TN, so avoiding that would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:50:15 AM by GMCBrewski »

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
Re: Notebook graphics card died... time to build a desktop
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
I bought one of those bundles from Newegg a few years ago that comes with a tower, motherboard, RAM, processor and shit. Angry Hampster posted the link to the page. I also bought a nice graphics card and power supply to throw in it, and eventually a 1TB hard drive that Kalgorn linked to in this forum.

The bundle, plus the gfx card, power supply and HDD all combined cost me less than $600, all purchased from Newegg during sales.

And even 3-4 years later, my computer still kicks ass. I can rock recently released games like Tomb Raider, Hitman: Absolution and such at near max graphical settings with almost no hitches at all. Games a couple of years old run flawlessly.

Anyway my point is that you should have no trouble building a pretty kick ass computer with $800, if you do some smart shopping on Newegg.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the PSU. I bought a Seasonic which was highly rated for voltage stability and paid dearly for it.

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
I agree about the PSU. Seasonic, Corsair, or nothing. Seasonic is top dog but Corsair is damn good and typically half the price.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

00XJ

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
I bought an Antec EarthWatts something or other when my old PSU died... it was recommended by a few people on this board and I have had zero issues with it whatsoever.

GMCBrewski

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be on the lookout for deals and hopefully have everything together by mid-summer, so I'm sure I'll be back looking for specific advice.

GMCBrewski

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Mission accomplished!

Took me a while, but I finally got the last parts yesterday. I ended up around the $1000 mark. Specs:

CPU: i5 3570k w/ 212 Evo cooler
Mobo: ASRock Extreme 4
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16gb
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost 2gb
Case: Corsair C70 vengeance
PSU: Corsair TX650
Boot SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120gb
Media drive: WD Blue 1TB (2nd coming soon)

Everything went relatively smooth. I wish I would have gotten the modular version of that PSU, but it was too good a deal to pass up. I'm also short one SATA cable, and short one fan header on the mobo so one case fan isn't running.

I went late into the night, so I haven't really had a chance to benchmark/burn it in. I'll run Prime95 for a while here in a bit. Then I'll begin the quest of OC'ing the CPU, and getting the ram to where it should be (BIOS is saying 1033). At what point should I be concerned, temp-wise, on the Ivy bridge?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
The fan is easy to remedy. You can adapt the fan cable to molex and just have it running at all times. 16GB is overkill for RAM but I can't really blame you with RAM prices anymore. I would have gone with a minimum GTX 660 for a video card if you want to do any gaming though.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »
A 650ti will run pretty much everything maxed out at 1920x1080.. Hell my poor 560ti still runs most stuff perfectly  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:17:14 AM by jeepidude »

GMCBrewski

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »
The fan is easy to remedy. You can adapt the fan cable to molex and just have it running at all times. 16GB is overkill for RAM but I can't really blame you with RAM prices anymore. I would have gone with a minimum GTX 660 for a video card if you want to do any gaming though.

16gb may be overkill, but it was indeed cheap. Plus, I'm starting to delve into video editing with Premiere Pro, and rendering and encoding eats the RAM, so I figured what the hell? As far as the video card, how do you figure? This one has handled everything I've thrown at it in Ultra at 1080p, so I'm pleased. I debated getting a 660, but the step up in price didn't seem worth it to me. Gaming isn't a huge priority to me anyway. If I have to run games in Medium-High in the future, that's OK with me.

I have the 3570k running stable at 4.2GHz. Prime95 large FFT ran for a few hours, and I averaged about 70-72*C. It idles at about 33*C. That seem alright?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
If it works for you, then no worries. I don't know the price difference but the benchmarks between the 650 and 660 are fairly significant. The 660 Ti is even higher. I just look at it as spending a couple bucks more now to have it last longer in the end.