Author Topic: Weird problems on my Samurai  (Read 4159 times)

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
Weird problems on my Samurai
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
Alrighty, my samurai overheats and the alernator puts out low voltage - I've replaced the thermostat thinking that was the problem for the over heating (broke the water housing in the process.)

That didn't fix my problem - I then decided to change out the belt, and that seemed to stop the cooling problem - for a day or so.  It now over heats, then will cool down, then over heats - it does this in a cycle, but the funny thing is, my lights get brighter, then dim, then get brighter.  My battery light does the same thing, it'll turn on for a while, then go off, then turn back on periodically.  It no longer over heats as bad as before (it doesn't bury the needle into the temperature gauge) buuutttt... it still overheats.

I'm thinking these things are connected.  Now, due to my thermostat housing being broken, some coolant got into my alternator, so I'm wondering if it didn't short out because of that, but I'm not too sure, as a few days ago I readjusted the radiator hose and clamp and stopped the leak, and it's no longer dripping coolant into the alt., tho there is most likely still moisture in the system.

I was thinkin' 'bout spraying some WD40 into it to displace the water (water displacement 40!)
I'm also wondering if it isn't some kind of bearing in either the water pump of the alternator that's causing this - maybe it's creating some kind of drag in the belt drive system and not allowing things to turn as freely as they should - when I rev the engine, for example, the battery light tends to go off.

I had my alternator tested before, and it was testing low voltage, but that was before any of this was happening, so I thought that in my replacing the belt I had fixed that's problem.  Again, I'm not sure, but I'm going to test the alternator again, but this time both on, and off, the truck just to see what happens in either case; hopefully that'll point me in the right direction...

Anyways, anyone have any thoughts about this whole fiasco?

Edit:  Fixed spelling and forsome reason my post came out in a different order than what I wrote...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:10:11 PM by Scotty »
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

NovaDK13

Re: Weird problems on my Samurai
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
If the alt tested bad earlier Id just replace it either way sounds like maybe the regulator is messing up, how new is that stat like recent new symptoms sound like a sticking or faulty stat?

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »
Don't trade it in and get something new.

Nova's right, get a new alternator. Do you have an electric fan? That's the only way I know of an alternator causing overheating. Probably a separate issue.

Regardless, Sammies are getting rarer and rarer. Hold onto the thing they're not exactly dropping in value :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Is your radiator slow leaking any where? I had some weird radiator issues a while back that were stemming from a slow leak from the petcock valve on the bottom. Its probably unrelated to your battery issues though. If you can afford to, get a new alternator, battery, heavier gauge wiring and just rewire that bitch....just had to do it on the Heep.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Jeepi, thanks for the kind words bro :lol:

Update:

Somehow the alternator wore a hole through the pulley, so the pulley was 'wobbling' when it was spinning, causing the belt to not be true.  Put a new alt. on and the belt is fine.  Here's another problem tho (cross posted from another forum [that was hella mean to me :(])

Hello all-

My suzuki samurai is having a few problems as of late - it over heats, but only after long drives (~30 mins), It burns oil, and the antifreeze tends to disappear over time, too. When I take off the radiator cap, I can see vapours escaping, and it sort of smells like exhaust though I'm not 100 percent sure as my nose can't really smell all that great. I did a compression test and got these results:

Also, when ever I check my oil, it's sort of a grey, watery colour. I'm not quite sure what this is, as I've always been told coolant in anti-freeze yielded a milky white sludge?

oil from my dad explorer on the left, suzuki's is on the right. As you can see, bit of a difference.

I just added 2 quarts to the suzuki like, two or three days ago aswell, and the dipstick hardly even reads right now...
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »
Dude.. I'm getting dejavu...

My Geo and I were making hour+ long trips multiple times a week when my dad was in the hospital. It would overheat after exiting the interstate but would cool down before getting to the hospital. Oil looked like that. It was a bad t-stat; overheating killed the head gasket and probably cracked the head.

It looks like antifreeze in oil which could mean cracked head and/or head gasket.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:56:25 PM »
Yeah, I just replaced my T-Stat recently too.  Stopped the real bad overheating issue (the could have also been the belt problem too, though.)

Gonna rip 'er apart and see what happens.  Hopefully I just need the gasket and the head ain't too shitty - but I'm gonna have the head sent to a machine shop take a look at her anyways.

IDK, other forums were telling me it could be an indication that there is a bunch of lead and/or aluminum in the oil?  But this doesn't really make sense to me - the only thing I can think of is that aluminum from the block is somehow getting into the oil, but the only thing that could do that is if a ring dug into the block or something, right?

I'm hearing no internal engine noise.

People on another forum were saying my bearings were probably shot - but arn't those made up from steel and copper?

Edit:  Also, always thought coolant and oil made a milky white substance, not a grayish color?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:57:33 PM by Scotty »

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »
You're right mine was definitely more milky than watery like you're describing.

Saw the bobistheoilguy thread, the guys on there seem to have the right idea about where to start. Hopefully it's just a head gasket, but be prepared to find more damage. Might be time for a 1.6L upgrade ;D

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
Yeah, I did get some good advice from that thread.  I'm gonna rip her apart soon - I just hope whatever problem I come across is in the head, and not the block.

And a 1.6 does sound tempting, but only if it comes from an old Rabbit GDI ;)

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
And a 1.6 does sound tempting, but only if it comes from an old Rabbit GDI ;)

:lol: Yeah that's what I meant :mrgreen:

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 12:48:38 AM »
A kit to do everything is only ~725 shipped :)

I still don't understand why I'd have excess aluminum/lead in the engine oil though - can anyone help explain that one to me?  I'm having a hard time picturing what may be wrong... shouldn't I also see metal shavings in the oil?

Edit:  Also seeing that it might be excess fuel?  It has been very cold here recently, and driving a carbureted car...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:52:11 AM by Scotty »

jeepidude

• Ford/Dodge/Hondadude
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »
A kit to do everything is only ~725 shipped :)

Yeah add $200 for the ACME Geo Tracker version :drool:

You've got me with the metal issue, especially since your engine doesn't make any odd noises. If fuel is in the oil could be a sign your piston rings are getting worn.