Author Topic: 08 Equinox - starting issues.  (Read 1952 times)

ling427ttvette

08 Equinox - starting issues.
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
08 Equinox, 3.4 V6 ~70,000 miles.

It had been having some issues with stumbling/hesitation when driving, new plug wires solved it. They are known for having issues with the factory plug wires.

Now, we have issues with an intermittent hard start, today it didn't start at all. Fuel pump pressure is 60 psi, so I know it's good.

Today when it wouldn't start by just cranking, I held the pedal to the floor and it fired right up. So, my thoughts are a gunked up throttle body. I was going to clean the IAC, until I realized it's a drive by wire system so it has a Throttle Actuator Control.

My plan is to clean up the throttle body, but am looking for some insight with the TAC setup. Can I pull it apart and clean it up, or is it possible that the actuator has gone bad? I plan to work on it tomorrow night if anyone has ideas, so far my plan is start pulling it apart and spray it down with brake clean to get the carbon build up out of it, but ideas and thought are welcomed as I have no experience with this setup.

Delta

• Torquemada 71
Re: 08 Equinox - starting issues.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »
I hope this isn't something to come out of our 08 Equinox :lol: Ahem, anyways, it seems strange it started with the pedal all the way depressed down. Usually it's the opposite since on FI vehicles it cuts fuel off holding down the pedal all the way down on a crank. I would be careful cleaning out the TB, from what I understand on these stupid TBW system if you move the venturi (sp?) any you will have to do a throttle body relearn procedure. I know on my Frontier you have to do that and it has the same stupid system as our Equinox.

Fake Edit: Seems Chevy is a little smarter than my Nissan. Been reading it self learns itself?
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
You're right Delta, flooring the pedal cuts off fuel and leans it out. That suggests it's getting too much fuel - possible leaky or stuck injectors?

As far as the self-learning, I can ask one of the techs about that tomorrow for a definite answer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:01:30 PM by 00XJ »

ling427ttvette

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
Well, cleaned it up by spraying a little brake clean around while someone held the pedal down to open the venturi. So far no issues, no re learn procedure. Fired right up. I think the reason it started with the pedal wide open was because I had cranked it for a while and could smell fuel, so it mustve gave it what it needed to take off.