Author Topic: Camry catalytic converter, or?  (Read 1840 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Camry catalytic converter, or?
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
2002 Toyota Camry
4 cylinder
182k miles

My wife was driving home after 4 hours on the interstate when the yota kicked on the CEL. When she got home I plugged in my computer to see what was up.

This seems to be a typical Toyota problem and usually requires replacing the integrated exhaust manifold/catalytic converter and the down stream O2 sensor.

The problem I am having with replacing the parts is the fact the car has 182k miles on it and we plan on selling it sooner than later. I am hopeful the code will clear itself with some quality gas, but I am usually not that lucky.

We don't have any emissions testing here in KS so that is not a concern. I am find with leaving it as-is as long as driveability doesn't suffer. If it comes down to needing replacement parts, who makes a good cat con assembly for this car? What about O2 sensors? Anybody have experience with this problem? What would you do?

Dewman

• Global Moderator
Re: Camry catalytic converter, or?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
if you plan on selling it why not spend $10 and try some of that cat cleaner you put in your gas tank?

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: Re: Camry catalytic converter, or?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
if you plan on selling it why not spend $10 and try some of that cat cleaner you put in your gas tank?
Say what? Cat cleaner? I have never heard of such a product. I assume it can be found next to the bottle fuel system cleaner at the parts store.

I'll look into it.

Dewman

• Global Moderator
Re: Camry catalytic converter, or?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »
i dont know much about it or have i ever used to but if you plan on selling the car it might be worth some research.