Author Topic: A Toyota Prius  (Read 6083 times)

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
A Toyota Prius
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
MID ENGINE V8 GT300 SUPER GT CAR YOU MOTHER FUCKER

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzkbc3IrQ8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzkbc3IrQ8</a>

The fucking thing has been pretty competitive in it's class, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see it win a race before the season ends.

And the best news of all, it has retained it's hybrid system!

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
Re: A Toyota Prius
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
Now that's a Prius I'd fucking drive!
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
Screw you, Revolt. :lol:

The Japanese announcers are so energetic.
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:09 PM »
The Japanese announcers are so energetic.
That's one of my favorite parts about watching the broadcast of Super GT races. :lol:

Anytime something big happens on-track they start to lose their shit, and it manages to make the race itself more exciting.

It makes me sad they're changing the regulations in 2014, it's a really good formula as it is.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
I wouldn't loathe the Prius so much if it wasn't such a god damned awfully boring car.

Now that Hybrids are becoming a household name, we'll see sportier and more fun to drive models.

this thing kicks ass.

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »
Here's an in-car video of the CR-Z that races in the same class as the Prius:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_tmyBwJFM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_tmyBwJFM</a>

The CR-Z, if my information is correct, is powered by the same V6 as Honda's LMP2 cars.

this thing kicks ass.

If you watch the video I linked when I made fun of chaos, it spun at the start from pole, drove all the way back up to second, spun again challenging a Porsche for what I believe was the lead in its class, and passed the CR-Z back again for second.

I only say "I believe" because that Porsche ended up lapping the field in it's class, and I don't know how or when the Prius got lapped.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:24:55 PM by revolt015 »

orangeLJ

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Honda Japan are set to announce some changes to the production model CRZ, hinting at a "sports plus" mode which will hopefully give it something resembling power and performance, rather than just excellent handling and a slow as fuck engine

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
I wouldn't loathe the Prius so much if it wasn't such a god damned awfully boring car.

Now that Hybrids are becoming a household name, we'll see sportier and more fun to drive models.

this thing kicks ass.

Agreed. I drove one of the UI's fleet models a few times. What a tremendously regular experience. There was absolutely nothing special about it.

Aeroboost

• SODIUM FREE
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »

And the best news of all, it has retained it's hybrid system!
What, is it sittin in the passenger seat?

Sarcasm aside, I'd be interested to hear how a hybrid system is incorporated into a race car.
You cain't buy it that way...

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:47 AM »
What, is it sittin in the passenger seat?

Sarcasm aside, I'd be interested to hear how a hybrid system is incorporated into a race car.

For the Prius, I do not know precisely how. I've heard it retained the stock Toyota system, but I have to imagine almost all of the system was placed somewhere else for better weight distribution.

The CR-Z, from what I can work out, has an electric motor attached to the flywheel, and a battery on the passenger side. A little like this:

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
Agreed. I drove one of the UI's fleet models a few times. What a tremendously regular experience. There was absolutely nothing special about it.

This might be the Chevy Fanboi in me but this is part of the reason I really like the Volt - it FEELS like something special, not just a ho-hum car with an electric motor. The non-standard interior design makes it feel sort of like a space fighter cockpit or something, and it's definitely the best looking hybrid/EV, other than maybe Honda's.

The Prius is just... blah. Boring as shit. Drab interior, boring, typical exterior design, and the one I drove really felt like it was built with bargain bin materials.

TheBlackShed

• Bunny in Bag
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
I'd consider this a Prius as much as the stock cars in Nascar are a Mustang, Camaro, ect.. If it had the stock motor, in the stock location it would be much more impressive.

DOnt get me wrong, it's a bad ass car, but it isn't really a Prius.
Choot'em!

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
The Japanese are fucking owning in the technology field and take their shit seriously.

Just look at that fucking interior shot. God DAMN.

Too bad they had such shitty luck in F1. But, it serves a historical lesson of how you just can't throw money at the sport and expect to win.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:09:33 AM by wicho »

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

revolt015

• (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
The Japanese are fucking owning in the technology field and take their shit seriously.

Just look at that fucking interior shot. God DAMN.

>That steering wheel UI on the CR-Z

Also, here's the best image I could find of the Prius interior:

orangeLJ

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »
Honda and Toyota have 2 completely different hybrid systems.

In the honda (IMA boost) hybrid systems, the electic motor is sandwiched between the engine and the gearbox and is used to give the low capacity engines more off the line torque and some pep under load. When braking the electric motor provides load (essentially engine braking) and recharges the batteries. Pretty cool stuff.

The electric motor NEVER drives the car without the petrol engine running

In the toyota system, the electric motor is used in low speed and low load situations and the car switches between electric and petrol engines as necessary.

I'm not 100% on how the engine/elec motor is configured in the Prius, but the important difference is in the theory behind the designs. Honda see the electric engine enabling them to use smaller capacity, high revving engines that have excellent top end but poor bottom end (compensated by the high torque at low revs that electric engines can produce)

whereas Toyota see the electric engine as a unit of its own, saving fuel by powering the car when it can.