Author Topic: Anyone have any experience with Cryogenicly frozen rotors?  (Read 1716 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Anyone have any experience with Cryogenicly frozen rotors?
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
I just worked a shit load of overtime and I'm looking at getting a front and rear set of these for my T/A (they cost about $80 more for the front set and $40 more for the rear set than regular rotors).  I haven't had any experience with them at all, but I was planning on using them with a good set of ceramic pads that have a pretty high stopping rating.  I've heard how the rotors don't warp as easily, etc.  Are they worth that price difference?  I do plan on doing a road course or two every year with the T/A starting next year.

James

• Meh
Re: Anyone have any experience with Cryogenicly frozen rotors?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
From what I've read, not really.  For those who professionally or competitively race there is a slight advantage but most of those go through rotors and pads on every outing anyway.  Lot of dedicated amateurs just buy a cheap set of rotors and mid-grade pads for the occasional race.  It doesn't take too long to swap out, you can focus on getting them bedded well (which makes a hell of a lot of difference in overall braking performance), and when you are done with the track run you can just get rid of them for the better set you can rely on for street driving anyway.  $150 - $200 twice a year is cheap and you can usually get another run out of the rotors if you get them turned.  I think you could put the $120 towards something else,  think of things that would make prepping for the track outing easier.
Four boxes protect liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

quantum

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
I've really thought that we've moved passed the warped rotor myth...like James said proper break is key. Chances are you could get some uneven pad transfer under hard driving conditions. In minor cases this can be corrected by making several slow stops from highway speed.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
I've really thought that we've moved passed the warped rotor myth...like James said proper break is key. Chances are you could get some uneven pad transfer under hard driving conditions. In minor cases this can be corrected by making several slow stops from highway speed.

Rotors still warp, regardless of why.  I just heard that the cryos resisted this more.  Thanks for the answers though guys :)