Author Topic: Ford a4ld, will reverse but no foward gears  (Read 2142 times)

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
Ford a4ld, will reverse but no foward gears
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
Party involved wonders if a bad modulator valve could cause this issue. Would a bad modulator valve kill all forward gears? Would getting a new one potentially fix the problem?

I'm personally thinking it's possibly a forward clutch, but in any case it's Ford's raggedy ass 90's automatics doing what they do best.

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
Re: Ford a4ld, will reverse but no foward gears
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
I'm not sure. But i've got one in my yard that does the same thing. It doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:59:30 AM »
Does it have fluid in it?

If so, put a fork in it, it's done!

The A4LD was a turd in its heyday. Weak and prone to blowing up if not maintained properly.
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

revolt015

• (;ω;`)WHATS GOING ON(゜д゜;)
    • (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ︵ ┻━━┻
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
Does it have fluid in it?

If so, put a fork in it, it's done!

The A4LD was a turd in its heyday. Weak and prone to blowing up if not maintained properly.
Party involved had stuck a fork in it about the day after I posted this. :lol:

The mechanicals of the truck were well taken care of, so how it failed(Besides the simple fact that it's a Ford A4LD) is a mystery. My personal assumption is either they towed a single thing with it once, or that a fluid line broke, fluid drained out of the tranny and the previous owners drove it without realizing it until it collapsed.

On a semi-related note, I don't think I've ever seen one of these transmissions work properly in years. Every one I've ever ridden with has to sit there and search for at least one gear.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:26:03 AM by revolt015 »

_(: 3 ⌒゙)_ (⌐■‿■)  し(*・∀・)/ The valves and the piston had a little party and they all ended up with a hangover. d(˚∇˚d)  (n∀)η ε=ε=ε=┌(;*Д`)ノ

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
The one in my exploder does work properly. Hell the fluid is even clean and not burnt. It kinda scares me.