Author Topic: Ugh, just toasted my damn Kindle...now I have a conundrum.  (Read 2922 times)

Daemon

I figure I'll go ahead and grab me a 7inch tablet to replace it. 

Naturally, I looked at the Kindle Fire first.

Price: $199

This machine really has nothing over the other two. It's not cheaper, it has no SD card slot, it doesn't use Google Play. It does come with the Amazon Cloud, but that's only for Amazon products.

Next I looked at the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Price: $249

Unlike it's counterparts in the rest of the world, the US still has the 1.4 Ghz dual core processor vs other countries getting the Tegra 3 quad core. Be that as it may, the one I played with tonight at Costco was VERY responsive and smooth and just a quick root away from running Android 4.01. The screen is absolutely GORGEOUS!

The one I am hold out on is the Google Nexus, built by Asus.

Price: $199.

This is my only hold out, but it doesn't have the SD Card slot. This bothers me. It has the Tegra 3 quad core, and other top of the line equip through out, and it does come with Android 4.01 standard, but I have no external storage options. It doesn't even offer a cloud like the Kindle Fire.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, which will actually match up nicely with the Samsung Galaxy S3 I'll be getting in a few months. Any other opinions?

*Edited, I looked at the Tab 2 7.0 not the 7.7.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:57:36 PM by Daemon »

Daemon

Re: Ugh, just toasted my damn Kindle...now I have a conundrum.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
I should have posted this in the Comp Help forum. Forgive me, and could someone move it? Thanks :)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
Moved. Now, don't do it again.

Bitch.

------------

I don't know shit about tablets. I bought my wife a refurb'd Nook Color and rooted it. Now it's a tablet with eReader capabilities. She uses it occasionally but not very often. I think she'll use it more eventually.

I have no use for a tablet myself. My phone does everything a tablet can but with a smaller screen. For the amount of stuff I do with my phone, a tablet would be a waste of money.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:50:10 PM by Kalgorn »

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Daemon

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »
I understand that completely, but reading on a phone, like ebooks, is really a pain and not enjoyable at all.

As much as I travel, I have much more use for the tablet for a few different reasons.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:58:41 PM by Daemon »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Reading is definitely where a tablet is much better than a phone. Browsing the web would be another. I don't use my phone to read and I rarely browse the web with it. Only if I'm out somewhere and I need to look something up or whatever.

I can see a tablet being great for travel as well. Much smaller than a laptop.

Mick

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:16:17 PM »
Just have to say I am very interested in this. I have been interested in a kindle for a while. I do a lot of reading and have lots of free time at work on much lunch hour. My laptop is something I don't want to bring with me everyday so a cheap tablet or a ereader are my current options.

Daemon

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Mick, if all you need is book capability then the kindle is great. If you want the "book" experience to somewhat remain, then get on of the standard Kindles with wifi. Just upload books at home, office, coffee shop, w/e. Like $80 brand new.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
The Nook Color is a great option if you want a cheap tablet + eReader. It was very easy to root and I bought my refurb'd for like $140 shipped.

MadFairlane

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »
The wife has a Galaxy 10.1 tab... and all we use it for is Kindle and internet... and some movies when we are travelling...

I love it.

End of my insightful help lol
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes