Author Topic: A/C swap  (Read 2791 times)

Darcsun

A/C swap
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »
We swapped my cousin's AC compressor out last weekend.  We didn't flush it before we took it off, as the compressor was frozen.  She took it in today and they told her that the new compressor had frozen because it wasn't flushed.  I've done a few A/C systems, and never worried about flushing it, even though I hear it's a best practice.  Never had a problem in the past.  Any one have any more experience with this?  It seems a bit fishy to me, but I'm no A/C expert.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
Re: A/C swap
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
It's possible. If an A/C compressor grenades itself, it'll send metal fragments all through the lines, and will usually clog up the fixed orifice tube.

Does the new compressor turn by hand at all? Does it feel rough?
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »
It definitely can. Did you turn it by hand a few times before starting the car?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »
What was wrong with the original compressor? Why was it "frozen"?

You don't need to flush unless the old compressor internally fell apart.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Darcsun

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:07:28 PM »
The old compressor was just old.... 130k on in. No issues turning it.   It was in a 2002 Cadillac SLS.  Mounted near the bottom of the car, so I don't see how anything could have been taken up the lines.  The fluid that was in it looked brand new, actually.  She had it charge a couple years ago, but the compressor failed shortly after.  I'm still a bit puzzled how it could go after a couple days.  She never turned it on and hardly drove it.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
They make kits to flush the lines of the A/C system while the compressor is out. And compressor mounting location wouldn't affect metal shavings moving through the line, it's a closed pressurized system, the metal will move with the fluids.

In your original post, you said the old compressor was frozen but in your last post you said you could turn it..?

Anyways, it does sound a bit fishy.. but if it was ran at all, and there were metal shavings in the system it could have affected the new one.

Darcsun

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:01 PM »
Got a more complete message from my cousin.  I'm starting to put together that she didn't tell them it didn't have oil or somehow she was running it without the oil.  I gave her a list of what she needed to do along with all the oil an such.  Either that, or the shop started to run the system w/o oil.  Sounds fishy to me.  The decided to cut her a huge deal on the parts and repair, so I really think they f'd up and put it back on her.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
Sooooooo... did she run it dry after the swap or no? If she doesn't remember, I'd almost guarantee that she did and is too embarrassed to admit it.

Darcsun

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:20:58 PM »
Spot on Kalgorn.  That's what I'm getting out of it.  There should have been enough oil to keep it lubed, but I kept telling her not to run it.  I'm thinking she did something then the shop started to run it without knowing there was no oil.  Most likely, I'm thinking she didn't tell them what I had told her and they started to work as normal on it.

Thanks for the info everyone.  Once again, much appreciated.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
It's really sad that you have to consider it as an option that the shop ran it while it was dry. Although, I guess that depends on what she said when she went in to the shop.

NovaDK13

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
So the system was charged but didn't add any oil when you were done with it, so did it blow cold with the replacement before it blew up?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:18:23 PM by NovaDK13 »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
So the system was charged but didn't add any oil when you were done with it, so did it blow cold with the replacement before it blew up?

I don't believe it was charged at all. It sounds like they swapped the compressor and took it to the shop to have it evac'd and filled.

NovaDK13

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
I don't believe it was charged at all. It sounds like they swapped the compressor and took it to the shop to have it evac'd and filled.
Thats what I was wondering, if it doesnt have a charge theres no way the compressor would kick on unless the low pressure switch was bypassed.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.