Author Topic: Electrical problems!  (Read 2544 times)

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
Electrical problems!
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »
Ok, heres the deal -

The other day I try to turn my car over, the starter motor kept spinning, so I disconnected the battery to stop it.  Everytime I reconnected the battery, the engine would turn over. So I decide to leave and work on it the next day, as it was late at night at that point.

Fast forward to the next day - I recoonect the battery, and nothing happens.  I was fairly happy about this, until I put the key and tried to turn the engine over, that is. I now found out that when ever I try to turn the engine on, nothing happens.  Not a god damned thing.

I've already replaced the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

I believe it's the starter, but the thing that's gotten me confused is that when bypassing the solenoid, the starter begins to turn the engine over.

I... I seriously don't know.  I'm going to take that starter into advanced tomorrow but if thats not it then I'm lost.

Oh, one last thing - when I turn the key I think I can hear the starter solenoid click on and off, but I'm not 100 percent sure that's what it is.
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.
Quote from: sponty
I have no taste and blow dogs for quarters.
"in the depths were old ones lie, perhaps death itself may one day die"

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
Re: Electrical problems!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
First, what kind of car. There may be other things in the circuit. Second, if you put power directly to the starter and it turns over, its good.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
First, what kind of car. There may be other things in the circuit. Second, if you put power directly to the starter and it turns over, its good.

'73 amc gremlin, 232 engine.
Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows it would be the first time.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
Find the wire that switches the solenoid on and see if it has power when the key turns. If not, there should be some linkage or something from the ignition switch to send power to that wire. You may have to dig pretty far in to figure it out. Does the mechanical part of the switch have wires that plug into it? I haven't worked on many amc's.

Sponty

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:47 AM »

It sounds like you have some electrical...

gremlins.
YEEAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:41:41 AM by Sponty »

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
Find the wire that switches the solenoid on and see if it has power when the key turns. If not, there should be some linkage or something from the ignition switch to send power to that wire. You may have to dig pretty far in to figure it out. Does the mechanical part of the switch have wires that plug into it? I haven't worked on many amc's.

Lock cylinder has a rod that goes down the column that pushes the switch.  Wires connect directly to that.

The solenoid is just like that off from an old ford, 'cept it has a terminal for the neutral safety switch.  I'm getting 12V from the S terminal to the ground strap, but only six from the I terminal.  Is this normal?

Also, I can just to solenoid and the starter kicks on.

I've replaced the switch and the solenoid already.  This is the second new solenoid, and even with the old one (that still worked, just shot sparks) it does the same thing.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:04:09 AM »
You should 12 on s when you turn the key. If the neutral safety switch hooks into it are you sure that working properly?. If you put 12v to the s terminal the starter should work. What about the power wire going to the starter?

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »
You should 12 on s when you turn the key. If the neutral safety switch hooks into it are you sure that working properly?. If you put 12v to the s terminal the starter should work. What about the power wire going to the starter?

Pretty sure that works, as I can 'jump' the starter by connecting the power wire from the batter with that wire and she'll turn over.

AQlso, we just replaced the NSS, and we still ain't getting anything - however we also have no reverse light still.  Are those two things on a different circut?  I'm think'n bout tryin to put the solenoid from my f150 on there and seeing whats up, as they're pretty much the same solenoid.

I'm going to record a video tomorrow and show yall what the deal is.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
I think you have a bad ground somewhere.

Bad grounds don't only cause loss of power, sometimes it short-circuits things too, which would definitely explain your initial symptoms of the starter not disengaging - something is getting power from a source that it's not supposed to be getting it from.

To save yourself a little bit of frustration, start out by checking and cleaning your grounds. If this car uses the old school braided metal ground strap, it's likely corroded/worn through. There may also be a broken/unshielded wire arcing against metal somewhere, causing a short to ground.

I'm not an electrical expert, but my instinct tells me that it's not necessarily a component (NSS, starter motor, solenoid etc) that's failing, and that it's more likely a wiring/grounding/short circuit problem.

Scotty

• AR LATE NIGHT CLUB
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »

I'm not an electrical expert, but my instinct tells me that it's not necessarily a component (NSS, starter motor, solenoid etc) that's failing, and that it's more likely a wiring/grounding/short circuit problem.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin' too.  It's gonna be fun tryin' to find it though.  :-[

also, diagram!

Apparently I was using the wrong setting on my volt meter, all these reading were gotten by using the 'DCV 20' setting.

The wire getting the 12v is the one going to the batt.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:47:31 PM by Scotty »

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »
Verify the ground for the solenoid. Sand/clean the bracket or mounting tab and run a wire directly to the negative post on the battery from that clean spot on the solenoid.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:21:23 AM by GMCBrewski »