Author Topic: Plastic Headlight Lens Repair  (Read 364 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Plastic Headlight Lens Repair
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
I know some of you have done some amazing things with hazy, peeling head light lenses.

Here's my latest attempt, I think it turned out pretty great.

I took 1500 grit sand paper and wet sanded the crap out of them. Got them as smooth as I could, then took out the buffer, wool pad, and some 3M cutting compound. Went over them with that, then moved to a foam pad and a lighter cutting compound, then a less abrasive foam pad and a good polish, then finally a hand wax to keep them protected at least temporarily.

Didn't turn out too bad, I think.

Who was it that did the kick ass job on the GP head lights? Was that Speedy?

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
Re: Plastic Headlight Lens Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
Looks great!!
I have found just using the same thing I correct paint with (PC and orange pad) works just as well, with less steps.
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
The only issue with this is the headlight will become hazy very quickly this way. The protective coating is already failing and now you're removing even more (and potentially some plastic with it) so it will fade again for sure.

The best way to do it is wet sand the shit out of it finishing with a minimum of 2000 grit and then putting a coating of 50/50 mineral spirits/urethane. I'm going to be doing that to the LS soon.

I bought this kit which should do wonders. I've already used the orange pad that came with it to polish some paint and it's fantastic.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
The only issue with this is the headlight will become hazy very quickly this way. The protective coating is already failing and now you're removing even more (and potentially some plastic with it) so it will fade again for sure.

The best way to do it is wet sand the shit out of it finishing with a minimum of 2000 grit and then putting a coating of 50/50 mineral spirits/urethane. I'm going to be doing that to the LS soon.

I bought this kit which should do wonders. I've already used the orange pad that came with it to polish some paint and it's fantastic.

I would clear coat them but I don't have access to that equipment and materials. All of that stuff is down at the body shop and it's like pulling teeth to get any type of cooperation going.

In their mind, it's a car sold "As-Is", and as long as it looks good enough to be sold, that's all I'm supposed to be concerned with. I disagree, I think the little bit of extra time to do it right would be worth it in the end, but alas, I am not in charge.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:22:41 PM by 00XJ »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
I didn't realize this is for a dealership car. Yeah, that makes more sense.

Although it's kind of funny because all you need to do is have the body shop spray a little clear on them after the polish and they'll turn out really good.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
I didn't realize this is for a dealership car. Yeah, that makes more sense.

Although it's kind of funny because all you need to do is have the body shop spray a little clear on them after the polish and they'll turn out really good.

Yep.

Also pretty pathetic that I basically have to "steal" wet sanding supplies from the body shop to use at the dealership because they won't let me order my own, yet we're in CONSTANT need of having minor scratches removed from various sold cars, which end up having to go to the body shop because we don't have any wet sanding shit at the dealership.

rageface.cdw

And you guys wonder why I always seem like i'm ready to smash your sand castles and piss in your coolers.