Author Topic: 98 Jetta security system issues  (Read 3383 times)

ling427ttvette

98 Jetta security system issues
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
I have a chance to get a 98 Jetta, V6 and 5 speed, 105,000 miles for $500.

Problem is, he thinks the security system is locking the car down. Originally, it wouldn't crank. He pulled a plug off the alarm module, jumped the starter wires and got it to crank but it won't fire.

Anyone know much about messing with these things?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: 98 Jetta security system issues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
Shit, for $500? Buy the damned thing and resell it if you can't figure it out. If you CAN (which i have no doubt that you will), you've just scored a pretty great deal. Depending on condition, of course.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
He says the car looks really good, paint is a little faded but it's a 98 so I expect that. It's got a black leather interior, don't know how much I like that but if the windows are tinted it might not be that bad.

Doing some reading, it sounds like it should be a simple fix but going to be fun to track it down. There are several sensors that it could be, or something as simple as the ignition switch being loose and wore out.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »
He says the car looks really good, paint is a little faded but it's a 98 so I expect that. It's got a black leather interior, don't know how much I like that but if the windows are tinted it might not be that bad.

Doing some reading, it sounds like it should be a simple fix but going to be fun to track it down. There are several sensors that it could be, or something as simple as the ignition switch being loose and wore out.

Starting with the ignition switch would be a good bet.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »
Stay away from VWs dude. Nightmares to work on.
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
Oh I know that. Had to do a little work to my moms 01 with the V6, good times.. even doing just the rear brakes made me want to pull my hair out.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Could part it out and make some money on it if you can't get it working.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

ling427ttvette

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »
Well, what concerns me about that is the salvage yards around here won't even carry VW's because they don't have any parts demand for them.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
I'm not talking local shit. Hit up a VW forum and you'll probably find plenty of people looking for stuff. I don't know for sure but I would assume that's the case just like any other vehicle.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Joshua

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »
Well, what concerns me about that is the salvage yards around here won't even carry VW's because they don't have any parts demand for them.

maybe not the you-pull-it yards. Regular yards will have VW's. Where do you think the local mechanic shops get new engines/transmissions, etc?
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »
maybe not the you-pull-it yards. Regular yards will have VW's. Where do you think the local mechanic shops get new engines/transmissions, etc?

There's only two yards here, one of them I'm at every day for work (they have a daily pickup) and he simply won't buy VW's for stock. He will order any part you need though, new or used. The other yard I think has one VW. We used to have 3 yards but one shut was shut down due to competition I think.

Joshua

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
There's only two yards here, one of them I'm at every day for work (they have a daily pickup) and he simply won't buy VW's for stock. He will order any part you need though, new or used. The other yard I think has one VW. We used to have 3 yards but one shut was shut down due to competition I think.

Holy crap, that blows!

Around here there are literally 5-6 junkyards within driving distance, and even more that will deliver. Hell, I have the number to at least 4 of them in my phone.

Move to the east coast?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
Any chance there was a subwoofer setup in the trunk at one point in time?

We had a newer Jetta come in on trade, customer ripped out the subs before giving us the keys.

one day it wouldn't start. Well, sometimes it wouldn't start. Sometimes you'd take the key out and everything would stay on, as if you hadn't. It would just act really weird.

Turns out, the power wire going to the subs was touching sheetmetal. Capped it off, problem stopped.