Author Topic: Detailing Question? (Mr luos...)  (Read 389 times)

Dewman

• Global Moderator
Detailing Question? (Mr luos...)
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
I was just doing a quick hand wash yesterday on my gxp and kind of surveying the paint. The car's paint wasnt taken care of the best from the previous owner and i am going to try to bring it back over the summer. I ordered a 7424xp the other day but while i am waiting i wanted to try the hood of the car by hand to see how it would look. I washed with my normal meguiars gold class soap and allowed to mostly air dry then finished the rest of the car with the waffle weave. I applied a thin coat of meguiars polish (like i have done many many times in the past) and it didnt take long to haze up. 1 side was hazed up as i finished the other side of the hood. I grabbed another microfiber and started to buff off the hazed side. The polish would not come off. I was working up a sweat just trying to get the polish off the hood. I ended up having to get some of my quick detailer to wet the polish get it to come off, it helped but it was still a pain. Anyone ever ran across this issue? Is the paint that neglected that it is somehow holding onto polish?

Another question for the 7424xp pads, i see autogeek and other people talk about "lake county" pads. Are these any different then the ones auto body shops use. The parts store i work for sells auto body masters, 3m, or megiuars pads which i can get for a discount. Is it worth paying the extra for the lake county or are the other brands fine? Looking for a correction pad then an applicator and buffer pad.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: Detailing Question? (Mr luos...)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Were you doing any of this in direct sunlight?

Dewman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
no direct sunlight and paint was cold. Was overcast and about 7 or 8 in the evening.

The 2 ideas i have was, either the polish was older and separate and even my vigorous shaking wasn't enough or the aforementioned bad paint.

Mr. Luos

• HERRO
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »
Old polish it sounds like.  That stuff tends to need worked in before it wipes up easily, so by hand may have been some of it as well.

And seriously.....how many child forums do we need?  Compared to the traffic this is nuts. :dunno:
2009 BMW 335i

2008 Chevy TBSS. Just a riced 440HP SUV. SOLD

Riced '99 Trans Am WS.6 SOLD
Dropped, wheels, slow.

LowBird87

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 03:41:14 AM »
Agreed^^  :lol:
a.k.a civicsux & pimpinfolyfe