Author Topic: Power Window Problem  (Read 1938 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Power Window Problem
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
My rear pass. side window will roll down, but not up.

I got another switch/door wiring harness from the junk yard for back-up (only cost $2), turns out none of that is the problem.

I can get the window to roll up by switching the wires at the regulator plug.

Let's say the wiring is like this

SWITCH========PLUG===========REGULATOR

So I took a couple pieces of wire and stripped the ends, and reversed which wire goes to which contact, so it would be like this:

SWITCH==============x==============REGULATOR (the x symbolizing where the wires cross).

Then it'll roll UP, but now down, using the switch.

So I think it's safe to assume the problem is in the regulator? Obviously the motor is fine since it'll work in either direction, but what might be wrong in the regulator? Possible to repair, or just replace?

I'll make another trip to the JY and rob the regulator from the one I got the harness from - should have taken it while I was there... but just in case it happens again, what do you think is the problem?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Re: Power Window Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
Motor?  My BMW's sunroof would do that.  Open with no problem, but would screw up on closing sometimes just like you described on your window.  I had to replace the motor and it was fine.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
Well I feel like the motor itself must be fine since it WILL move freely in either direction, I just have to reverse the circuit... that's why I'm thinking the down-switch circuit is broken somewhere.

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:09:51 AM »
Have you tested the switch? That is what controls the polarity in that circuit. That motor is just a simple DC motor. Run the current one way, it rotates one way. Reverse current, and it reverses. Your junkyard switch might be bad.

I have even seen new in box parts that were bad before. Assume nothing, test everything. That is a very simple circuit. If you have power and ground to the motor, then you have a switch or motor problem.

Does it function correctly with the master switch?
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
Is there 2 or 3 wires on the motor?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
Turns out it was yet another broken wire in the elbow between the driver's door and body. I spliced it, and all is well.

i wonder if they sell replacement wiring harnesses?