Author Topic: [Movie] The Hunger Games  (Read 7647 times)

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
Re: [Movie] The Hunger Games
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 05:35:49 AM »
Book explains that the capital created many different types of mutants (mockingjay, tracker jackers, wolf things).
The big thing about the wolf things were:
(click to show/hide)

Except that:

(click to show/hide)

As for Rue, from what I've learned she was described as black in the book anyway.  It's not like this is X-Men Origins and instead of having a being from another dimension they changed it to a black guy instead.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:36:38 AM by Onyx Dragon »

dotCom

• Super Administrator
  • rocks fall, EVERYONE DIES
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
Okay, reporting back. Read spoilers so some of the gaps were filled, but honestly, a lot of this shit was common sense, and I could have easily understood Katniss' devastation over Rue or her hurt over Peeta's training without needing to have read the books.

The shaky cam: Stop fucking crying. It wasn't all the time; it wasn't even the majority of the time. It was during specific instances, and for some of the combat sequences. You make it sound like this movie was shot with a hand camera. It wasn't. That people get motion sick watching something on a screen amazes the fuck out of me, but if that's the case, I don't know how you watch any movies ever.

I will definitely be picking up the series of books now that I have seen the movie. Also, FUCK YEAH SPIDERMAN REBOOT AND BATMAN.

8/10

some of it dragged. Totally loved Kravitz. Thought he was going to smooch ol' Katniss at one point.

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
Okay, reporting back. Read spoilers so some of the gaps were filled, but honestly, a lot of this shit was common sense, and I could have easily understood Katniss' devastation over Rue or her hurt over Peeta's training without needing to have read the books.

The shaky cam: Stop fucking crying. It wasn't all the time; it wasn't even the majority of the time. It was during specific instances, and for some of the combat sequences. You make it sound like this movie was shot with a hand camera. It wasn't. That people get motion sick watching something on a screen amazes the fuck out of me, but if that's the case, I don't know how you watch any movies ever.

I will definitely be picking up the series of books now that I have seen the movie. Also, FUCK YEAH SPIDERMAN REBOOT AND BATMAN.

8/10

some of it dragged. Totally loved Kravitz. Thought he was going to smooch ol' Katniss at one point.

Yeah, I get motion sick from watching stuff on TV, but it's generally first person shooters that do it if I'm sitting too close to the screen.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
No one is crying about the shaky cam bullshit. I'm complaining about it because it's ANNOYING, and I hate it in every movie it's in, I'm not just hating on Hunger Games. Even when I really, really love a movie, the shaky cam bullshit STILL annoys me. And frankly, I don't understand why complaints about it seem to have ruffled your feathers so much. Chill out, it's just a minor criticism.

Screw-Rice

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
Except that:

(click to show/hide)

As for Rue, from what I've learned she was described as black in the book anyway.  It's not like this is X-Men Origins and instead of having a being from another dimension they changed it to a black guy instead.
What I explained is somewhat of a spoiler due to playing a role later on throughout the series.

The book describers her as dark skinned. The people up in arms even quote it, yet don't seem to understand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 02:42:30 PM »
I don't understand why it would be a problem anyway. The fact that she was killed? So were a bunch of white kids... What exactly is the problem?

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
No one is crying about the shaky cam bullshit. I'm complaining about it because it's ANNOYING, and I hate it in every movie it's in, I'm not just hating on Hunger Games. Even when I really, really love a movie, the shaky cam bullshit STILL annoys me. And frankly, I don't understand why complaints about it seem to have ruffled your feathers so much. Chill out, it's just a minor criticism.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does ANYONE ELSE want to take this before I start quoting threads?

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it. - Luke McKinney

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does ANYONE ELSE want to take this before I start quoting threads?

Quoting what threads? just tell me whatever it is you have to say.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
First off, I talk like that pretty much all the time, so that you interpret that (the act of me calling everyone else sissies) as having my feathers ruffled, you have clearly not read a single post I have ever made ever on this forum. :lol: Secondly, that YOU are telling ME to "chill out" about a minor criticism when you have a record of flipping your shit for the exact same thing is kind of hypocritical, don't you think?

Also, answer your PM 16a, I had an idea for the RP.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:57:28 PM by dotCom »

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

Dude, you're the one that seems up in arms, not her.

Grim91Z

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »
I've never read the books and I totally enjoyed the movie.  Some of you forget that character development, more violence, etc all costs money and raises the rating to NC-17 or R.  Personally, I liked it and I would see it again.

It should also be noted that I saw the new GI Joe preview...can't wait!  Jinx is one of my fave characters from when I was growing up!
Rated R movies tend to satisfy me more than PG-13 movies.

Tomorrow is movie night for the better half and me. Gonna be this or Case de mi Padre. Reading reviews about this gives me mixed feelings.
Formerly DoD.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
Rated R movies tend to satisfy me more than PG-13 movies.

Tomorrow is movie night for the better half and me. Gonna be this or Case de mi Padre. Reading reviews about this gives me mixed feelings.

Yeah, but PG-13 opens up a broader viewer base and thus, more sales.

Grim91Z

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
Yeah, but PG-13 opens up a broader viewer base and thus, more sales.
That's why I understand the need to make a film that fits in the PG-13 spectrum.

Ended up watching this. I really enjoyed the flick. The overall aspect reminds me of Battle Royale (basically the same plot, although set-up differently). I loved the violence, even if there wasn't enough red, it definitely delivered. I thought the ending was a little tasteless, but I was expecting something a little more brash to happen. I'd give it an 8.
Formerly DoD.

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Honestly, watching the movie, I didn't really have a burning need to know what the dogs were at the end. They looked like holographic dogs that could kill you. I wasn't concerned about them being the fallen past, or having their eyes. If I were in the situation, I'd be running regardless, not stopping to contemplate whether or not their eyes looked familiar. They'd have looked might fucking hungry to me, and that was all I'd need to know. :lol:

Nava

• Goddamn Hinge-Heads
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:43 AM »
Honestly, watching the movie, I didn't really have a burning need to know what the dogs were at the end. They looked like holographic dogs that could kill you. I wasn't concerned about them being the fallen past, or having their eyes. If I were in the situation, I'd be running regardless, not stopping to contemplate whether or not their eyes looked familiar. They'd have looked might fucking hungry to me, and that was all I'd need to know. :lol:

Well, yeah, that is a given.  :lol:

It was more to show just how demented the games, and by extension the Capitol was.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »

We all know that if a group of us were running from those, you'd be tripping the person next to you anyway :lol:

TheBlackShed

• Bunny in Bag
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
We all know that if a group of us were running from those, you'd be tripping the person next to you anyway :lol:

I dont have to out run the bear.....i just have to out run you!

But in all seriousness, i went and saw this last night, and from not knowing a damn thing about the books, it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Im actually thinking about picking up the book to read it while im at work.
Choot'em!

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
Bought the first book tonight.

Also, Onyx, those are called 'The Shoes of Only Having to Run Faster Than You'. They're a real thing - from Munchkin Cthulhu.

MadFairlane

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
(click to show/hide)
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

dotCom

• Super Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:46 AM »
Finished the book.

Having seen the movie first helped give Katniss and the others a 'voice', helped with scenery, etc. Not that I don't already have an excellent imagination, but I would have cast the book myself anyways, so it worked out. Jennifer Lawrence really did a wonderful job. As did Lenny K.

Now, the deviations in the plot don't bother me so much, and at the end, I don't think there'd have been any GOOD way for them to do the dogs right. I just don't. I had a hard time visualizing it, myself. I need to go get the second book now.