Author Topic: Power steering flush  (Read 1775 times)

Grim91Z

Power steering flush
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
My car has been leaking power steering fluid on a slow basis for a year now. I finally decided I'm gonna do something about, so I isolated the leak to the pressure hose. Removing that will drain out a lot of the fluid so I decided I might as well flush all of it out, especially since it's been topped off with power steering fluid and not Mercon (which I recently learned is called for). I have heard of two ways to do this: Remove hose (which I have to do anyway), turn car on with someone turning the wheel lock to lock as I continue to pour fluid until desired color; or connect (new) hose - refill, turn car on with a couple lock to lock wheel turns, shut off car and use turkey baster to drain fluid out of reservoir, fill with new fluid - repeat until desired color. Which method is better?
Formerly DoD.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Power steering flush
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
The issue with the second method is you're just going to be cycling the fluid and mixing it. You're not completely removing the old fluid and replacing it with new. I'd go with the first method. Just be careful not to let the reservoir run dry.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

ling427ttvette

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
I've seen a guy do the second method, and it worked but it certainly took some time. The first method would be ok, like mentioned just don't let it run dry.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
You could probably put the in hose in a bottle of fresh fluid and the out hose in a bucket. Once it runs clean, you're good.

Southern_Pride

• Whoopie ti yo
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
You need to put the return hose in the bucket, not the pressure. If you put the pressure in your only flushing half the system.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
You need to put the return hose in the bucket, not the pressure. If you put the pressure in your only flushing half the system.

Figured that was assumed.

Grim91Z

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
If I go the first method then I'd disconnect the return hose. The pressure hose needs to be replaced regardless.
Formerly DoD.