Author Topic: Using an external HDD with Xbox 360.  (Read 3421 times)

ling427ttvette

Using an external HDD with Xbox 360.
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
My Sexbox started having random freezing issues, during game play was when it first happened. I restarted it, it loaded up into the main screen and froze again, and it did that several times.. sometimes not making it past the first screen when you turn it on. Then after another try, got the RROD. Restarted again, and it worked fine for a while. Froze again, so I shut it off and let it cool down then I pulled it apart thinking it was full of dust and over heating. It was clean as a whistle inside, very minimal dust which is good.

Anyways, doing some reading it seems to come back to problems with the HD on the Xbox. In an attempt to save myself money from buying a memory unit to test this theory, I was trying to figure out if I could just put all my game saves onto an external HDD and use that in place of the stock HD.

Anyone done this, tried this? And also, if I do have to replace the HD on the Xbox, how would I go about transferring everything to the new Xbox HD?

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
Re: Using an external HDD with Xbox 360.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:52:47 AM »
Using an external requires a certain amount of modding I believe.

As for how to transfer everything.. cheapest is copy as much as you can to a 8gb stick, switch hard drive and paste. Rinse and repeat.

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
You can use a USB external for your game saves just like you can use a flash drive or USB adapter w/ SD card. Any USB storage will work but can only use a max partition of 16 GB per device. Plug the device in and go into your console's settings. Find the storage tab or whatever and you should find your device listed. The Xbox will say it has to format the drive so do it. Then, you can save your games on it. Should be able to transfer saves as well but don't hold me to it. Never done it.

What RRoD did you get? Is it the standard? Just because one or more of the light ring lit up red doesn't mean it's the typical RRoD. That light ring is for all error messages.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »
I believe the drive has to be FAT32, and a 2.5" if I remember correctly...

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:28 PM »
Doesn't need to be 2.5". And the drive format doesn't matter. The console will format it appropriately and, if it's larger than 16GB, it will make a 16GB partition.

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33:21 PM »
Oh, cause I know I tried to do it years back with a 320 3.5" NTFS, and it didn't work.  Back then you had to mod. Guess things have changed.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
He's not talking about putting a drive inside the Xbox harddrive enclosure that pops into the top of the box. He wants to use an external drive through USB which Microsoft now supports since about two years ago.

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »
I was talking about standalone externals, but I guess it was more than two years ago that I tried it...

ling427ttvette

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »
Got my gamer profile and a couple game saves running off the external hdd, but still had a freezing issue a couple of times but then got a couple hours of game play with no freezes and decided to shut it off.

Really wish I could have more than a 16gb partition on the external.

Edit: Forgot to answer the RRoD question, the bottom two, and top left lights were lit up and it was flashing if I remember right. I don't remember to well, because as soon as I saw it I got pissed and thought I was going to have to pull it apart and fix it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:33:55 PM by ling427ttvette »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
If it was flashing, I'm pretty sure that's something different. That's the correct lights to show up for the elusive RRoD, but it shouldn't flash.

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
If it was flashing, I'm pretty sure that's something different. That's the correct lights to show up for the elusive RRoD, but it shouldn't flash.

Yeah.  I've had the RRoD and it didn't flash.

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
Mine would flash when my xbox rrod'd...

ling427ttvette

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:44:04 AM »
God dammit. RROD'd for good. Going to try and fix it, seems to be a lot of info on how to do it.. if not, fuck it I'm getting a PS3. Haven't had a chance to play GT5 yet, I own every other GT game and basically grew up with them.. so I'd really like to have 5 anyway. Just wish all PS3's were backwards compatible so I could play my older games if I felt the desire to do so. Glad I kept my PS2, hell still have my original PS as well. :lol:

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »
Not sure how permanent the fix really is. I've heard stories on both sides: some say it will last indefinitely, some say it will eventually fail again to the point of no return. It only costs a couple bucks to try to fix it so I would go for it. There's loads of information out there. Worst case is it's still broken. :lol:

ling427ttvette

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
In the process of repairing it. Thermal paste was everywhere besides where it needed to be in there, it was all surrounding the GPU and CPU but not actually on top of it.

I also noticed the heat sink setup in my Xbox is not the same as most of the other tutorials I have seen, mine has extra pieces for better heat dissipation but without the thermal paste doing it's job there really isn't a point.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 05:40:12 PM »
It's alive!

8 10-32 x 1/2" screws, 40 #10 washers, some thermal paste, and assorted hand tools and it's working just fine so far. I had to do mine slightly different than in the tutorials that I found because I have different heat sinks, but either way I got it working for under $20. Radio Shack ripped me off on the thermal paste, it was $10 freaking dollars for a tiny tube of it but it's the only place in town I have to get it from. Either way, I hope this lasts for a while. Don't feel like ripping it apart again.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
Radioshack. :lol:

It wouldn't have saved you a whole lot ordering it online. Good paste is $5 or more. Best Buy might sell it but they'll shit on you the same way Radioshack does.