Author Topic: I bought a Prius.  (Read 15917 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: I bought a Prius.
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
I'll have to keep that in mind if I start looking for a small gas saver. Thanks.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
I'll have to keep that in mind if I start looking for a small gas saver. Thanks.

Also consider the Mazda2 and Mazda3. Great driving dynamics and (especially with the 3) ample room for an adult male.

Gael

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
I think the Fiesta and Mazda2 are the same cars.. supposedly?  I still can't get over their happy faces.
Gael

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
I think the Fiesta and Mazda2 are the same cars.. supposedly?  I still can't get over their happy faces.

Both are based off of the same platform, and I wouldn't call the Ford a "happy face"

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

Gael

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
I'm talking about the Mazda's and their happy faces.
Gael

MadFairlane

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »
I had a prius as a rental once... Wasn't all that bad.

I was pretty happy with the $6 of fuel I used in it over a weekend though.
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

LowBird87

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:39 PM »
Wow, thank you, the running from the baddie vette in a shopping mall was probally one of the most entertaining segments of Top Gear I have ever seen. The Vette leaving tire marks everywhere getting stuck in the british home store was epic. And his commentary through it all is hilarious.

:lol: yes best car review ever. I couldn't believe it drove to the shore! "The kids are getting annoying.. shoot them"  :lol:

Its based off the same platform as the mazda but the mazda looks a little girlie imo. The fiesta sedan is very roomy for how small it is outside. My salesman was 6'2 or something and he fit fine.

It runs of 87 octane, none of that flexfuel crap. And the best part of the whole car are the little gadgets that you don't notice till you buy it. Not having a gas cap to take on and off is awesome. The car syncs to my phone and is case of airbag deployment the phone calls 911 on the hands free phone.
 Also plays music off my phones harddrive and pandora radio.

The focus looks good and is a little bigger but it wasn't worth the added price imo. I checked out a bunch of new sub compacts and the fiesta was the best bang for buck plus is so simple, you could pull the motor in a hour I bet! :lol:

a.k.a civicsux & pimpinfolyfe

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
:lol: yes best car review ever. I couldn't believe it drove to the shore! "The kids are getting annoying.. shoot them"  :lol:

Its based off the same platform as the mazda but the mazda looks a little girlie imo. The fiesta sedan is very roomy for how small it is outside. My salesman was 6'2 or something and he fit fine.

It runs of 87 octane, none of that flexfuel crap. And the best part of the whole car are the little gadgets that you don't notice till you buy it. Not having a gas cap to take on and off is awesome. The car syncs to my phone and is case of airbag deployment the phone calls 911 on the hands free phone.
 Also plays music off my phones harddrive and pandora radio.

The focus looks good and is a little bigger but it wasn't worth the added price imo. I checked out a bunch of new sub compacts and the fiesta was the best bang for buck plus is so simple, you could pull the motor in a hour I bet! :lol:

I was debating between the Fiesta and Focus...this is making my choice harder. :lol:

The Fiesta's top trim (SEL) has the five speed option, where right now, the Focus doesn't. (According to an AutoBlog article I read, that five speed option will be available on all trims later this year)
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

LowBird87

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »
There are guys with base model stick fiestas but I believe they ordered them that way. The 2012 fiestas have a new sport option with all blacked out trim, and polished 16s. Very good looking car! The fiesta and focus share the same automatic in 2012. The transmissions have "adaptive" technology where the start out weird when new but after 200 miles or so it learns your certain style of driving. Go test drive both, I didn't cause the focus' price tag was enough for me.
a.k.a civicsux & pimpinfolyfe

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »
There are guys with base model stick fiestas but I believe they ordered them that way. The 2012 fiestas have a new sport option with all blacked out trim, and polished 16s. Very good looking car! The fiesta and focus share the same automatic in 2012. The transmissions have "adaptive" technology where the start out weird when new but after 200 miles or so it learns your certain style of driving. Go test drive both, I didn't cause the focus' price tag was enough for me.

I'd settle for the SE Focus, but it sucks how all new cars are "pre packaged". I can't truly build a Focus the way I want.

I believe there's five speed Fiestas on Long Island, five speed Focus models are non-existant. :(
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

TheBlackShed

• Bunny in Bag
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
I'm looking at the Focus ST and the Veloster Turbo when they come out.
Choot'em!

FoMoGo

• Super Administrator
    • Gas and Lead
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
Says the guy who bitches anytime someone buys anything other than a beige pre-1979 land barge.
Dont you have a coworker and job to complain about?

Jim
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/asshole.jpg
Old avatar: http://www.turbopinto.com/images/ar/jimsmall.jpg
http://gasandlead.wordpress.com
Moral of this lesson:
Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.

Nava

• Goddamn Hinge-Heads
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »

Jim

I think I saw a gun for sale somewhere...

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2012, 01:11:57 AM »

Jim

Neither of which are beige.

Gremlin

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
Neither of which are beige.
At least my beige station wagon has a eight track player. Unlike your single track mind.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
At least my beige station wagon has a eight track player. Unlike your single track mind.

...do go on, I'd love to hear more.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
Wow, thank you, the running from the baddie vette in a shopping mall was probally one of the most entertaining segments of Top Gear I have ever seen. The Vette leaving tire marks everywhere getting stuck in the british home store was epic. And his commentary through it all is hilarious.

Holy crap that was a great episode! :lol:

Gremlin

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

I get paid good money to explain common sense to idiots. That is last thing I need to do on my time off.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »
I get paid good money to explain common sense to idiots. That is last thing I need to do on my time off.

Anything else?

Onyx Dragon

• Super Administrator
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »

Anything else?

Both of you shut it.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
I'm with you on this. Big difference though. The Prius is a hybrid and the Volt is an electric with a gasoline backup that you need to be able to plug in.

Wrong. The engine is still connected to the drive train on the Volt. Difference being that they have a larger battery and more powerful electric motor which can drive the car on battery power alone. The engine still turns on and off intermittently through fancy clutching to keep it warm and use up fuel so that it doesn't gunk up. It turned out to be an engineering nightmare for GM to develop.

This is really the main difference, how they use the planetary gear set.

*edit, also... one of the only cars to have a dedicated 'power plant' on board is the Fisker Karma

They need to ditch the ecotec and throw in a TDI.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:50:39 PM by wicho »

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »
Wrong. The engine is still connected to the drive train on the Volt. Difference being that they have a larger battery and more powerful electric motor which can drive the car on battery power alone. The engine still turns on and off intermittently through fancy clutching to keep it warm and use up fuel so that it doesn't gunk up. It turned out to be an engineering nightmare for GM to develop.

How am I wrong if you're just reinforcing my point? With the Volt, the car can run off of strictly battery for x amount of miles and never need to fire the gas engine. With a hybrid, it's forced to use both. There's no way around it.

Yes, the engine does fire on a cycle if it hasn't been run in a certain amount of time, but it's not doing it because the car needs it for power. It's doing it for longevity of the engine.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
How am I wrong if you're just reinforcing my point? With the Volt, the car can run off of strictly battery for x amount of miles and never need to fire the gas engine. With a hybrid, it's forced to use both. There's no way around it.

Yes, the engine does fire on a cycle if it hasn't been run in a certain amount of time, but it's not doing it because the car needs it for power. It's doing it for longevity of the engine.

The Volt is a hybrid. There are different types of hybrids.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:09 PM »

It may technically be a hybrid, but the term hybrid is misleading without explanation.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-12/demystifying-chevy-volt

In principle, the Chevrolet Volt is simple: It’s an electric car with a gas-powered generator for backup. Yet the machinery under the hood is complex. The overarching goal is to wring maximum miles out of the Volt’s lithium-ion battery and, when gasoline is necessary, to use it frugally. This requires the Volt’s drivetrain—composed of two electric motors, a gasoline engine, three clutches and a planetary gearset—to blend power from different sources to find the perfect balance in every driving situation. Here’s how it happens.
One-Motor EV Mode
Driving around town at up to approximately 40 mph, power flows from the 400-pound, 16-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery to a large permanent-magnet motor, which moves the car.
Two-Motor EV Mode
The harder you push the car, the more stressed the primary motor becomes—until a second, smaller motor joins in, allowing the larger one to spin more slowly. The two motors connect
to the planetary gearset, which blends power from the pair into torque that drives the car.
One-Motor Extended-Range Mode
Between 25 and 50 miles into your drive, the battery will dip to 35 percent charge, and the gas engine will start. Here, the gas engine drives the small electric motor, using it to generate electricity (an electric motor run backward is a generator) to sustain the battery’s charge.
Two-Motor Extended-Range Mode
With the battery low, at highway speeds, the primary electric motor continues to drive the car. But now the gasoline engine mechanically connects to and powers the secondary electric motor, which in turn helps the primary motor drive the wheels.
Verdict
Critics have argued that, because under some circumstances the gas engine helps power the wheels, the Volt is nothing new—a glorified Prius. But that’s not true. Efficient as it is, the Prius is a primarily gas-powered car. The Volt, in contrast, always drives like an electric car, and for up to 50 miles a day you’ll never burn a drop of gas.

I've driven a Volt and a Prius. The Volt always drives like a battery powered car. Even when the generator is running, it is still being propelled by the electric motor. The gas motor may assist at times, but the drive train is primarily powered by the electric motor.

This makes it different from any other hybrid.

This is why GM is calling the Volt an "Extended Range Vehicle", not a Hybrid. They don't want people thinking it's anything like the Prius.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »

Technically, yes. It would be considered a hybrid because it does have a gasoline engine on-board, however, it's possible for you to own the car and never need to use the gasoline engine. It's not a hybrid in the same sense as a Prius.

My point is that they're on two different levels.