Author Topic: Quick/Easy/Good Steak Tips?  (Read 705 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Quick/Easy/Good Steak Tips?
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
Well since I got fucked over at work and will be missing my valentine's dinner with my girlfriend tonight, I have to scramble and come up with something good to cook for her tomorrow before she leaves for the emergency shift at the vet clinic.

I have never cooked steak before, and I don't have a grill.

That said, what is a good, fairly simple recipe that someone like me who isn't exactly a master chef can follow without royally fucking it up?

Just tips on HOW to cook steak would be great. I'm also toying with the idea of bacon-wrapped steak strips, it's kind of an inside joke we have about her two favorite meats - steak and bacon, we call it "Steakon", so I think doing that for Valentine's day would put a smile on her face.

What would be the best way to do that?

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
Re: Quick/Easy/Good Steak Tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »
Since you don't have a grill I suggest you sear on the stove and finish in the oven. Also, the bacon idea is an ok one if you have a really lean steak like a filet, but wouldn't be as good on a more heavily marbled steak like a ribeye. Also, if you buy high quality steaks, all you need to do is hit it with some olive oil, sea salt and crushed black pepper and it will be good. If its a cheaper piece of meat, a marinade may help to tenderize it.
Quote from:  Sergeant D
Nothing says Alpha like getting your anus violated by another man

I gazed through the open window upon a full moon.
His name was Meatywand.

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
Rub the steak (ribeyes work well in pans/ovens) down with kosher salt and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Sear each side for about 2 min on medium-high heat in butter (not margarine), then cook in an oven at ~375 until it gets to the desired done-ness. You obviously won't get the smokey flavor that you can from a grill, but this makes for one heck of a juicy steak if done right.

Want a good flavorful side dish? Get a couple sweet potatoes, cut them into strips, and lightly coat them in olive oil and seasonings. Bake them on a big cookie sheet for ~20min and you have delicious sweet potato fries.

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
If you want that smokey flavor grab some liquid smoke and mix it into your butter or drizzle over before cooking.
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

Rammstein4Ever

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »
Invest in a cast iron steak pan + montreal steak seasoning... and going with hamsters idea.. I love baked sweet potatoes, crack em open and put some brown sugar, a drizzle of OJ and some marshmallow and throw them in again for a few more minutes.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »
My method is some rather simple but effective rules;

Inch thick cuts of premium steaks. Ribeye, porterhouse, NY strip, filet and porterhouse. Sirloins are okay but are no match to the other cuts I just mentioned.

Let steak stand outside the fridge for about an hour. Letting it come up to room temperature helps the inside cook evenly, shortening total cooking time.

This is important. Before anything, open a sliding door or a window. There will be some smoke and carbon monoxide will be created by the process. Seriously, this matters.

Heavy pan, steel or cast iron that is oven safe.
Do not oil the pan for lubrication. Youll do that later.
Heat pan to 500 degrees, high high heat. Buy a cheap spot infra red thermometer to check for right temp... its helped me quite a bit in the kitchen to understand temperatures.
Preheat oven to 415 (this temp will make sense in a second)

Grab a plate, throw the steak on there.
Salt and pepper is my choice of flavor. Good pinch of salt on each side, kosher works great.
Grab some oil that has a high smoke point (peanut, grapeseed) that way you dont fill your apartment with smoke.
Pour a bit on the top of the steak and flip it over, rubbing the oil into all the crevices to help lubricate the process.
Need a bit more oil? You need to eye this one out and get the hang of it.

Now, its ready to go on the pan. Drop it on and count 1 minute.

DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!!

Crazy chemical reactions are happening to the steak during the braze. Simply do not touch it until the minute is up.

Grab some tongs, flip it over when time is up. Youll notice the steak isn't stuck to the pan and is easy to flip.
Wait another minute.
When that is done, flip it over and look for uniform browning. This crust is what you've worked so hard for and will be what really makes the steak fantastic.

Now, grab a oven mitt and into the oven it goes, set two minutes.
Open her up after the two minutes, use tongs to flip it. Two more minutes.

This will gently cook the steak after the brazing process. It helps with uniformity and is a big ally to a perfect steak.

When shes ready, use your mitt to pull it out of the oven.
Immediately take the steak off the pan and place it on an elevated surface to rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Trust me, it pays off.
I personally use another pan or plate and put a toaster oven grill over it and put the steak on there. This way, the crust wont become soft as blood seeps out as if it were directly on a plate.
Lightly cover the steak with some aluminum foil during the resting process so it wont get cold.

The whole point of letting the steak rest has to do with internal pressures pushing outwards while it is hot. If you were to cut into the steak right away, a pool of blood will leak out. Thats not good at all.

So now youve left it on the elevated surface for 5 minutes while the pressures declined... shes ready to go.

No pool of blood, amazing flavor, soft and did I say amazing flavor?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:51:54 PM by wicho »

I miss Cody. The world is a cruel place.

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
Is that fucking steak sauce? Get that shit out of there!

His name was Meatywand.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »
Is that fucking steak sauce? Get that shit out of there!

That I made by deglazing the pan with meat stock and mushroom sauce?

:mrgreen:

I like sauce on the side. So, fuck off. :D

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
My method is some rather simple but effective rules;

Inch thick cuts of premium steaks. Ribeye, porterhouse, NY strip, filet and porterhouse. Sirloins are okay but are no match to the other cuts I just mentioned.

Let steak stand outside the fridge for about an hour. Letting it come up to room temperature helps the inside cook evenly, shortening total cooking time.

This is important. Before anything, open a sliding door or a window. There will be some smoke and carbon monoxide will be created by the process. Seriously, this matters.

Heavy pan, steel or cast iron that is oven safe.
Do not oil the pan for lubrication. Youll do that later.
Heat pan to 500 degrees, high high heat. Buy a cheap spot infra red thermometer to check for right temp... its helped me quite a bit in the kitchen to understand temperatures.
Preheat oven to 415 (this temp will make sense in a second)

Grab a plate, throw the steak on there.
Salt and pepper is my choice of flavor. Good pinch of salt on each side, kosher works great.
Grab some oil that has a high smoke point (peanut, grapeseed) that way you dont fill your apartment with smoke.
Pour a bit on the top of the steak and flip it over, rubbing the oil into all the crevices to help lubricate the process.
Need a bit more oil? You need to eye this one out and get the hang of it.

Now, its ready to go on the pan. Drop it on and count 1 minute.

DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!!

Crazy chemical reactions are happening to the steak during the braze. Simply do not touch it until the minute is up.

Grab some tongs, flip it over when time is up. Youll notice the steak isn't stuck to the pan and is easy to flip.
Wait another minute.
When that is done, flip it over and look for uniform browning. This crust is what you've worked so hard for and will be what really makes the steak fantastic.

Now, grab a oven mitt and into the oven it goes, set two minutes.
Open her up after the two minutes, use tongs to flip it. Two more minutes.

This will gently cook the steak after the brazing process. It helps with uniformity and is a big ally to a perfect steak.

When shes ready, use your mitt to pull it out of the oven.
Immediately take the steak off the pan and place it on an elevated surface to rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Trust me, it pays off.
I personally use another pan or plate and put a toaster oven grill over it and put the steak on there. This way, the crust wont become soft as blood seeps out as if it were directly on a plate.
Lightly cover the steak with some aluminum foil during the resting process so it wont get cold.

The whole point of letting the steak rest has to do with internal pressures pushing outwards while it is hot. If you were to cut into the steak right away, a pool of blood will leak out. Thats not good at all.

So now youve left it on the elevated surface for 5 minutes while the pressures declined... shes ready to go.

No pool of blood, amazing flavor, soft and did I say amazing flavor?

This steak is way overdone.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! Wicho, that looks delicious. I think I'm going to follow your recipe. Thanks!

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 07:24:16 PM »
Great success. Thanks wicho!

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »
Great success. Thanks wicho!

No problem man. :-D

Lots of mistakes were made on my part to achieve that method.

Now you're a pro. Enjoy staring at ribeyes and tenderloins during grocery shopping. :lol:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:21:37 PM by wicho »

ling427ttvette

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
I think I've got to try Wicho's process as well. I always do mine on the grill, I really don't do much besides some Head Country seasoning and cook them medium and sometimes I marinade with a Steakhouse sauce. They always turn out pretty good, but I'm always wanting to find new ways of enjoying steak. Certainly one of my guilty pleasures, I eat more steak than I probably should but it's just so damn good. :lol:

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
Nothing wrong with enjoying some good red meat!

His name was Meatywand.

Maverick

• Beast Within
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »
I think I've got to try Wicho's process as well. I always do mine on the grill, I really don't do much besides some Head Country seasoning and cook them medium and sometimes I marinade with a Steakhouse sauce. They always turn out pretty good, but I'm always wanting to find new ways of enjoying steak. Certainly one of my guilty pleasures, I eat more steak than I probably should but it's just so damn good. :lol:

Red meat is hella nutritious. Don't be quick to believe what the food pyramid tells you. Their conclusions are based on old science and there is an alternative to the Lipid Hypothesis, brah.

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/ <--- Decent website.  Read his story about the disease hes overcoming.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fat_Head/70115017?trkid=2361637 <--- loses weight and improves blood chemistry while only eating mcdonalds.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Challenging-Conventional/dp/140004078 <--- Gary Taubes' book based on scientific data research. His findings were included in the film Fat Head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUspjZG-wc <--- A lecture Gary Taubes gave. Worth your time, but its pretty long. Thesis: Data backs the claim that carbs drive insulin which drives fat accumulation. Animal fat is actually quite good for you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm <--- The article Taubes wrote for the new york times on this subject.

I think this video here sums it up quite nice.

http://www.wimp.com/mindingmitochondria/ <--- A doctor overcoming Multiple Scoliosis through food science. Not hocus pocus quackery. Although she doesn't go into great detail, she explains her claims. It strongarms on the nutrients present in vegetables, the vitamins they possess and why the body needs them from a medical standpoint.

We survived for hundreds of thousands of years eating meat and opportunistic plants. Evolution dictates that our bodies are designed for only this type of food.

This claim is only my opinion. Due to a rather powerful agriculture monopoly and governments figuring out how to feed an entire nation, they wont be so quick to kick the current religious like dogma that grain is better for you than meat. Not to mention the fact that bleeding hearts are trying to repeatedly tell us eating animals is immoral. What is also very relevant is many, many powerful, leading associations would be proved absolutely wrong. This also includes our government.

Enjoy your steak. Eat your greens. Leave the roll. Live healthier. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:18:24 AM by wicho »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
I cooked it exactly as Wicho instructed, kept to the same timing and everything, and man... it was some good Steak. Very juicy, perfect pinkness... i added a few more seasonings. My girlfriend LOVED it.

You were definitely right about the smoke, I opened my sliding door, turned on the stove hood vent and put a fan in between the kitchen and the open door... smoke cleared out in about 10 minutes.

MadFairlane

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »
Steak in the oven??? What is this, I don't even.....
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Followed wichos instructions again. We marinated this time. Best steak I've ever had. Girlfriend said the same.

Ever think about opening a restaurant, wicho?

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »
HOLY FUCKING SWEET JESUS BALL SACK THE SMOKE!!!!

His name was Meatywand.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
HOLY FUCKING SWEET JESUS BALL SACK THE SMOKE!!!!

lol yeah... it'll get ya.

My girlfriend and I, and her roommate's boyfriend decided to cook two one night in January.

That's my girlfriend's roommate, Jen, who was already fighting a cold and not feeling well. The entire apartment absolutely filled with smoke and we couldn't vent it out fast enough. She had to fight the smoke detectors which were on 15ft high vaulted ceilings. She was not happy.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:47:19 PM by 00XJ »

Meatywand

• Broo Penis
    • NecroManor
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 07:49:51 PM »
I think my oil had too low of a smoke point (all I had was canola) because holy fuck....I have a 930 square foot apartment and this bitch was smoked out...looked like a haunt with the smoggers going :lol: Steaks are resting now, will report back with taste results.

Dem sumbitches tasted good! Although next time I do this I'm going to use different oil.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:47:14 PM by Meatywand »

His name was Meatywand.