Author Topic: WICHO! (Chrome question)  (Read 297 times)

Sharp

WICHO! (Chrome question)
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
My Dakota has chrome bumpers and aluminum diamond plate all over the place. The diamond plate looks like it's clear coated in some places and not in others, and could use a good polish all around.

My bumpers have a really fine speckling to them. I've tried TurtleWax chrome and metal polish with a cloth, as well as rubbing compound with steel wool, a cloth, WD40, Vinegar, and PB Blaster. Nothing has really made any noticeable improvement.

Can I get these bumpers back to a mirror finish? And how should I go about polishing the diamond plate? Is there a secret to getting it clean without tearing up the cloth?

Any recommendations on effective polish or cleaner?

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Re: WICHO! (Chrome question)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
<--- not wicho, but a couple questions.. Is that pitting? This monitor at work is shitty so I can't see the pic well, but if it's what I think it is, usually it has to be sanded out. I'm not sure there's a way to polish out major pitting like that, usually it's due to the chrome failing.

Most restoration shows I've watched usually take chrome in that condition, have it stripped, sanded, then re-chromed.  Might be best to just look for a better bumper at the junk yard.

As far as diamond plate, I've had good luck with a Mother's Powerball, though you did say there's some clear coat on it.. so you'd probably have to strip that off if you wanted an even finish.

Sharp

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
I don't really think it's pitting, the surface feels pretty smooth.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »
I don't really think it's pitting, the surface feels pretty smooth.

Yeah, I dunno. I can't really tell from the pics, but if it's like the front bumper on my Cutlass, there just wasn't anything that could really be done. If it's something stuck to the chrome, it'll come off MOST of the time. I have to imagine that anything putting up that much of a fight usually means the chrome has failed in those spots.

AirForceOne

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »
Have you tried an SOS pad on the bumper?  The kind with the blue stuff in it.  Works wonders on chrome.