Author Topic: Buying a high mile auto  (Read 1464 times)

NovaDK13

Buying a high mile auto
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:32:46 PM »
Im looking into trading the 2500 silverado in (rockers are starting to go) for most likely a suburan/yukon xl or tahoe's maybe this year or next. But I was wondering what to look for in used higher mileage cars? I know the basics like rust and oil caps with white crap but what should all be looked at? I was looking online and found a bunch of suburbans around 9000-13000 bucks with anywhere from 89k up to 150k I dont mind cars with high mileage but other than the obvious  should I be on the look out for? I have a scanner so I'll bring that along when I go, I do plan on 4x4 and I would lean towards the adjustable brake/gas pedal since my g/f is short and its hard for her to drive my silverado. 

AirForceOne

Re: Buying a high mile auto
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:22 AM »
I assume you're after a 1500 series truck?  Check for all the things you normally would.  Also, check the brakes over well, the upholstery for rips/tears, get underneath it and look for rust, check the U-joints and CV axles (be wary of trucks with cranked torsion bars).  The Vortec 5.3 is a solid motor, just truck to verify that the maintenance has been kept up.  Check all windows and door locks because some models years like to eat up power window motors door lock regulators.  Shoot for an 03 or newer, they have a few improvements over the 2000-02 models.

NovaDK13

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »
The 2500 isnt out of the question but the ones I have seen so far have looked like old police vehicles for the same price as one with all the bells and whistles. How often and hard obvious are the cracks in torsion bars, how are the electronics in these like the seats and the other misc stuff like the adjustable pedals?   just one of about 6 I seen in colors other than white
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:46:46 AM by NovaDK13 »

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
If you're sticking with that model year range, only problems I'm aware of are head gaskets and transmissions... aside from the shit interior and the fact that just about every part of these loosens up a LOT when they get up there in mileage.

For such a top heavy vehicle, you'd think it would have stiffer steering, but they handle really loosely. I don't enjoy driving them at all.

BUT, they are comfortable and we constantly see them with over 200k on them... so as long as it was maintained, you're probably going to be just fine.

NovaDK13

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
I have a silverado ls I don't mind the interior I grew up in a 71 suburban till high school then an 85 suburban so these are a lot better IMO, and my interior doesn't make hardly any noise?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:40:29 PM by NovaDK13 »