Author Topic: Help me build an HID Projector Retrofit  (Read 3029 times)

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Help me build an HID Projector Retrofit
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »
A few years back I found a good deal on an IPF H4 housing and HID H4 bulb/ballast kit. It seemed like a great deal so I purchased it and it has been sitting in my toolbox ever since. I have not installed it because I do not want to be "that guy" with piss poor HID lighting.

So I call on you, AR, to help me build/review a projector retrofit parts list for my Comanche. My goal is simply better lighting than sealed beams/H4 housings without being "that guy".

These are the H4 housings I plan to retrofit:

The guy I bought the header panel from left them since they were junk (well duh, they are blacked out).

I have been doing a lot of reading and understand these are the basic components for an HID projector retrofit:
  • Projector
  • Shroud
  • Bulb
  • Ballast

Having done some shopping around I think this is the best kit for me:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=178

Projector: BI-XENON: MORIMOTO MINI D2S 2.0

Shroud: E55-R

Bulbs: D2S MORIMOTO 3FIVE (35W) but try and upgrade to the MORIMOTO 5FIVE (50W); 4300K color
Ballast: Use the Ballast from the H4 HID upgrade kit I bought a few years back, triggered by factory headlight harness
Adapter: To  D2S

A foreseen issue I am aware of is the Ballasts I have are 50W and the 'kit' comes with 35W bulbs.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I am all ears.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:05:32 PM by 87Warrior »

AirForceOne

Re: Help me build an HID Projector Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »
Have you considered buying a set of OE projectors from say, and Acura?  There's a guy on the FSC forums that has done several retrofits, and he prefers the Acura units because they are easily found and have a very sharp cutoff.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/exterior-tech/459515-your-hid-questions-answered-here.html

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
The guys on Cherokeeforum CONSTANTLY urge people to upgrade the factory wiring harness as it's not a very good one (and apparently has been a source for fires for some people, but chances are there's more to those stories).

This one is recommended all the time:
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--9003-Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Upgrade-Wiring-Harness-PRD7540.aspx

Or you can build your own, apparently.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

From what they see, even just upgraded the harness itself will increase light output on stock headlamps, if that tells you anything about how shitty the stock harness is.

Here's a helpful thread.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/hid-light-upgrade-121397/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:38:01 AM by 00XJ »

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: Re: Help me build an HID Projector Retrofit
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Have you considered buying a set of OE projectors from say, and Acura?  There's a guy on the FSC forums that has done several retrofits, and he prefers the Acura units because they are easily found and have a very sharp cutoff.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/exterior-tech/459515-your-hid-questions-answered-here.html
You betcha! I have been watching the ElectronicBay for used OEM projectors. It seems a pair of Bi Xenon projectors run about $50-100. Tack on the cost of bulbs, shrouds and wiring/plugs and they are the same value as the 'kit' from the retrofit source.  I really need to maintain high beam capabilities for back country roads, and some projectors are single beam.

The guys on Cherokeeforum CONSTANTLY urge people to upgrade the factory wiring harness as it's not a very good one (and apparently has been a source for fires for some people, but chances are there's more to those stories).
Yes, AMC and Chrysler both thought it was a good idea to run the full current of the headlights through the headlights switch in the dash. It is bad enough with stock lights, but poses a huge risk with high watt upgrades.

The upgrade harness simply runs a power lead directly to the headlights and is switched through a relay that is operated via the factory harness. The current through the factory headlight switch operating a relay is MUCH less than operating two headlights as is how it should have been designed in the first place. The lighting improvement is amazing.

While the upgrade works, I am always striving for something better. The HID ballast does essentially the same thing as the upgraded harness. It takes the 'load' off of the headlight switch and in connected directly to the battery. It just outputs the power for the HID bulbs.

I want to try out true HID lights for more light, more focus and the challenge.

I did stumble across this. To my surprise his build is almost identical to my theoretical retrofit.
 http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoBiXenonProjectors.htm

ling427ttvette

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Yes, AMC and Chrysler both thought it was a good idea to run the full current of the headlights through the headlights switch in the dash.

This could explain a lot of the problems I just started having with the Dodge.. at first, the high beams would randomly quit working after being on for so long, and turning them off and back on with the switch would make them work for a while again, no problems with low beams, until last night. On my way home, they started flashing on and off and moving the switches knob around made them flicker on and off..

Getting a new headlight switch tonight.. but I wonder if that upgrade is something I should look into or if it would even help my case?

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
Ling - try and find out if the Dodge has a headlight relay of any sort. If not, I think the upgraded harness would help you out.

I am not sure if this is/was Chrysler's standard practice or if they just continued the AMC design.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:09:32 PM by 87Warrior »

ling427ttvette

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »
Ling - try and find out if the Dodge has a headlight relay of any sort. If not, I think the upgraded harness would help you out.

I am not sure if this is/was Chrysler's standard practice or if they just continued the AMC design.

No relay, that was the first thing that came to mind was a weak relay just getting to hot and shutting them down. So I went into O'reilly's and just asked them to look one up, and he thought I was crazy because it didn't show one in the system, so I went out to look and sure as shit, no relay. I thought it was pretty stupid/odd to not have a headlight relay.

Thinking I'm going to look into that harness..