Author Topic: Car died. (transmission?)  (Read 1675 times)

Takon

Car died. (transmission?)
« on: February 02, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
I've got a 98 sentra, manual, 1.6 i think.

I was running some errands today and i had trouble shifting from 3-4th. Usually if this happens it means i just missed the spot in my haste and need to try it again (not force it) I get it into 4th but it feels... sluggish is the best word for how it felt. Not the engine or acceleration, but the actual shifter. Well i keep driving and I stop at a light, I put it in neutral and sit there. It's a flat area so i dont have the brakes on, and it's rolling forewards. I put the brakes on and the engine acts like its under load and the car shudders. I start to get worried at this point. I let the clutch out and try to get going again, grinding and bad noises happen. I make it another hundered feet to a parking lot and kill it there., had to push it into a proper spot and I could hear parts of the engine turning as if it were being rolled in gear, it was also a bitch and a half to push which being a light small car on a flat area it shouldnt be.

I start it up again and let the clutch in slowly, as it engages i hear a grinding sound from under the hood, even though the car is in neutral.

Any ideas? Just would like to talk about it and maybe narrow it down. My uncle is an expert mechanic but he is out of state for the day and I am an impatient speculator type.

Thanks for any replies.

ling427ttvette

Re: Car died. (transmission?)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
Sounds like a bad clutch to me, slave cylinder could be weak to but the grinding noises make me think the clutch is shot.

NovaDK13

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
With it off does it go into gear ok, and if you start it with it in gear clutch pushed in what does it do, kind of thinking along the lines of what ling said

Takon

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Got it moved to my parents place, uncle says its definitely clutch related, and we wont know if its the trans til we take it apart.

James

• Meh
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
Bad slave cylinder (assuming hydraulic clutch) will make noise too.  Especially concentric ones.  My ranger shit it's slave cylinder and it made a lot of noise as one of the return springs made circles inside the bell housing.
Four boxes protect liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Takon

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Yea its the tranny.
Clutch was actually in good condition. Gonna replace it anyway since its apart and I already bought it.
weee.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:40:34 PM by Takon »

Takon

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »
Transmission successfully swapped (AFAICT) *crosses fingers, knocks on wood, etc) I've put about 70 miles on her since install, and she came with 125k miles. For $327 and a 1 year warranty thats not too shabby.

Threw in a new clutch while I was in there, as well as the passenger driveshaft, ball joint, and driver side tie rod end.

What a weekend!