Author Topic: Free-spinning wheel stud?  (Read 9247 times)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Free-spinning wheel stud?
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
Not 100% of the problem yet. Went to remove my rear-passenger tire today to do the brakes and one of the lugs was really tight. I turned it with the socket quite a few times and it would get loose and tight over and over again. Then I realized I couldn't tighten it now either. It's only loose a little bit, but if you wiggle it, it seems like the whole stud is moving around. The stud isn't broken either. I took the other lugs off and still couldn't get the wheel off. I tried pulling on the wheel to keep pressure on the lug while loosening it and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas? I'm assuming the stud needs to be replaced, but how the fuck do I do that if I can't get the wheel off?

Figured I would get some opinions before I go to my mechanic on Tuesday to have them check it out.

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Gauss

Re: Free-spinning wheel stud?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
Not 100% of the problem yet. Went to remove my rear-passenger tire today to do the brakes and one of the lugs was really tight. I turned it with the socket quite a few times and it would get loose and tight over and over again. Then I realized I couldn't tighten it now either. It's only loose a little bit, but if you wiggle it, it seems like the whole stud is moving around. The stud isn't broken either. I took the other lugs off and still couldn't get the wheel off. I tried pulling on the wheel to keep pressure on the lug while loosening it and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas? I'm assuming the stud needs to be replaced, but how the fuck do I do that if I can't get the wheel off?

Figured I would get some opinions before I go to my mechanic on Tuesday to have them check it out.

Did you attack it with wd-40?

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
Attack what? It's not an issue of being stuck. It's actually the complete opposite. It seems like the entire stud is spinning, but I'm not quite sure since I can't see it. I doubt the lug nut is just spinning in place. If that were the case, I probably would have been able to get it off by pulling on the wheel like I was.

Gauss

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
Attack what? It's not an issue of being stuck. It's actually the complete opposite. It seems like the entire stud is spinning, but I'm not quite sure since I can't see it. I doubt the lug nut is just spinning in place. If that were the case, I probably would have been able to get it off by pulling on the wheel like I was.
I was thinking maybe they're stuck inside each other, causing the stud to give before actually allowing unscrewing.  I could be totally wrong though.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
The stud shouldn't turn at all. It's designed to grab the hub and hold.

GMCBrewski

• Once you go twig you never go big
    • Andrew Bruckse Sports Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Damn, that sucks. Tire shop monkeys are usually to blame. Do you have an impact? If so, have someone else pull on the wheel like you were doing... maybe with a bar or something for leverage, while you try to loosen.

Your mechanic might have an easy way (tool) to split the nut, otherwise you would just drill the center of the stud until you can break or hammer/chisel the nut off. I had to do this on a gator-like utility cart. I always put a bit of anti-seize on the threads now.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
Nope. I don't have an impact. I'll see what my mechanic says.

orangeLJ

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »
Drill the nut through the centre and crack it with a cold chisel.

Kozy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
I would always use the trusty flame wrench in that case. Some brake lube around the lug hole helps minimize damage on aluminum wheels.

I supercharged my car by turning the A/C off

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
I don't know how accessible it is, but getting it up off the ground high enough to get back there with a grinder and grinding out the back flat part of the stud, then punching it out would be my first attempt.

MadFairlane

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 05:27:56 AM »
Gas axe the axle off
1967 Ford Fairlane - Sold
2011 Mazda BT50 - Current
2008 Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Sold
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT - Wifes

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
All done. Mechanic didn't charge me. They were able to snap the stud off with two guys + air ratchet. I had to go to the dealership for the stud and lug nut because Advance Auto didn't have the lug in stock and they don't list any parts for studs. Pricey stud and nut. It was just shy of $20. The new stud went in with a bit of work. I had a hell of a time getting the rotor off.

ling427ttvette

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:42:54 PM »
Had that happen.. shitty situation to be in. I ended up having to drill the center of them until I could just break them off. I also had just put my brand new 17" wheels on the Camaro a couple of days before this happened. I was furious to say the least, but all went well and no scratches.

Definitely why torquing the nuts to proper specs is important.