Author Topic: Need a new desktop, help  (Read 4552 times)

NovaDK13

Need a new desktop, help
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
I think im leaning towards a new desktop with my tax return I have no idea what to look for anymore, all I know is my 13 year old pentium 4 80 gig hard drive compaq is getting old. Im cheap so the lower cost the better I mainly need it for internet access with my wireless network (old one I cannot get into my network) and I do mainly flight simulations Im looking to buy http://www.realflight.com/rf6features.html so I need something to run that. So I guess I need basically a gaming pc?

I do have a good 21.5 monitor so all I need is the actual tower and a new keyboard would be nice, bigger hard drive would be nice but I have a 2 terabyte external hardrive so dont need the biggest internal storage but nothing like my old 80gig. Im cheap but if I can spend a little extra on something that could last a long time I'll put in a little more.

Thanks for any ideas

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
Re: Need a new desktop, help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:14:52 AM »
Doesn't look like the requirements or recommendations for that realflight software are too intensive.

Are you willing to build a PC or only looking for a pre-built?

2002 Silverado | 1995 Talon TSi AWD | 1989 Prelude Si 4WS

Daemon

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »
Dell Inspiron 620 MT

$700 gets you:

3.0 ghz I-5 2320
1 GB DDR3 GeForce 530
8 GB 1333 mhz DDR 3 ram
1 TB 7200 rpm hdd

Not a bad haul.

Pros- Cost. Dell sells most pcs at or below cost and makes the money back on over priced replacement parts. Easy fix, don't let them fix it..ever.

It's built for you and ready to use out of the box.

Cons. It's a Dell, so it's going to have bloatware out the ass. Easily remove it though or just do a quick reformat and not install it.

No overclocking and only limited access in BIOS. Unless, that is, they have changed their policy on this.

Future upgrades. In the past Dell has mostly used custom motherboards with non standard sizing. This can make upgrading hard, if not impossible.

NovaDK13

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
Doesn't look like the requirements or recommendations for that realflight software are too intensive.

Are you willing to build a PC or only looking for a pre-built?
Leaning more towards pre-built, and the dell doesnt seam too bad. What kind of video cards are good nowadays, or they come with decent ones?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:06:54 PM by NovaDK13 »

Gauss

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
If you're going to go pre-built, Asus produces good quality hardware. Not Acer, just so there is no confusion.  Acer is the exact opposite.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
Acer makes fantastic displays.

Gauss

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
Acer makes fantastic displays.

But PC computers, not so much.

Daemon

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:21:10 PM »
But PC computers, not so much.

Pst, I believe that was sarcasm. ;-)

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
Pst, I believe that was sarcasm. ;-)

It wasn't. :lol:

I had a 19" Acer monitor for 5 years. At about 4.5, a weird vertical line appeared on the screen, but it was fairly faint. At the same time, I noticed the image on the screen was slightly vibrating. I played around with the settings and found that maxing the brightness made the vibration go away.

I gave it to my neighbor because he sometimes needs a portable display for work.

I'd say that's a pretty good run. Acer tends to get very good reviews on their displays.

Daemon

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:50 PM »
Ummm, most reviews I see talk about led backlights bleeding through, terrbile color controls, and poor viewing angles due to using TD LCD screens.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:16:29 PM by Daemon »

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »
It wasn't an LED so I can't comment on that. I care very little about color control so perhaps I'm biased there. And poor viewing angles... I sit in front of a computer monitor. How else would you be viewing it?

I'd like to think these reviews seem pretty favorable:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:21:27 PM by Kalgorn »

Daemon

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »
Newegg? Bwahahahaha I wouldn't trust a newegg review to save my life. :lol:

To be fair, though, looks like they may have straightened up a bit. I wouldn't put them anywhere near the top, but a good bargain. Blech, they still use TD LCD screen though. Blue tint and backlight bleed. >.<

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
Newegg? Bwahahahaha I wouldn't trust a newegg review to save my life. :lol:

Why? It's a large collection of users commenting on the reliability and quality of a product. Obviously if there's 15 reviews, you should do a little more research first before making your purchase. But if there's 200+ reviews, it gives you a pretty good idea of the product. More people tend to review a product if they've had a problem with it. A lot of people don't take the time to write a review if everything works as they expect.

Hanns-G on the other hand... no thanks. I have a 23.5" Hanns-G LCD as my secondary monitor. The quality is fine (not great), but it takes about 5 second to wake up out of a sleep state and sometimes it doesn't wake up at all. I have to turn it off and back on. Happens about monthly.

And I have a 23.5" Viewsonic LED as my main with no issues. Still takes a few seconds to come out of sleep, but it's much more vibrant than the Hanns-G.

Gauss

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
Why? It's a large collection of users commenting on the reliability and quality of a product. Obviously if there's 15 reviews, you should do a little more research first before making your purchase. But if there's 200+ reviews, it gives you a pretty good idea of the product. More people tend to review a product if they've had a problem with it. A lot of people don't take the time to write a review if everything works as they expect.

Hanns-G on the other hand... no thanks. I have a 23.5" Hanns-G LCD as my secondary monitor. The quality is fine (not great), but it takes about 5 second to wake up out of a sleep state and sometimes it doesn't wake up at all. I have to turn it off and back on. Happens about monthly.

And I have a 23.5" Viewsonic LED as my main with no issues. Still takes a few seconds to come out of sleep, but it's much more vibrant than the Hanns-G.

I ignore manufacturer on displays because the "manufacturer" is never the "real" manufacturer.  I can probably count the number of "real" manufacturers of the LCD itself that other companies just order in bulk and slap controls and a power supply onto.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Sure. I believe there's three producers of LCDs?

Daemon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »

I don't trust Newegg reviews for the simple reason that most of the reviewers are idiots. I've seen people give 1 star because they bought the wrong part, not because there was anything wrong, they just bought the wrong part.

Kalgorn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I've seen one starts because they didn't read the description properly and the part didn't have a feature they wanted.

That doesn't make Newegg reviews garbage. It just means you need to go through and read a handful of the reviews. Most Newegg reviewers don't pull the bullshit you and I are talking about.

Gauss

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I've seen one starts because they didn't read the description properly and the part didn't have a feature they wanted.

That doesn't make Newegg reviews garbage. It just means you need to go through and read a handful of the reviews. Most Newegg reviewers don't pull the bullshit you and I are talking about.

Agreed.  The average of the reviews is garbage, but you can pretty much tell the difference between a reviewer who is full of hot air and one who is not.  Ignore anything written by an idiot, and you have an accurate representation of the product.

Daemon

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Then it comes back to showing the 4 and 5 stars on the page. A majority of those stars were from idiots. :lol:

Leave me alone, I'm stretching here.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »
I've had a 19" Acer LCD monitor for about 5 years. Still works like new, haven't noticed any problems with it whatsoever.

Of course I was told when I got it, mostly by people on this site, that Acer makes junk and I should expect dead pixels and failing colors within weeks.

...and that's not the first or last time I've been told things like that which ended up being completely untrue.

Moral of the story is, there are some people here who do know what they're talking about, and many others who don't. I wouldn't use A-R as your primary source for advice on.. well, anything really... but it's definitely worth using as an extra source. Ask for advice on A-R, and continue doing research and asking advice elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:30:04 PM by 00XJ »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
I've had a 19" Acer LCD monitor for about 5 years. Still works like new, haven't noticed any problems with it whatsoever.

Of course I was told when I got it, mostly by people on this site, that Acer makes junk and I should expect dead pixels and failing colors within weeks.

...and that's not the first or last time I've been told things like that which ended up being completely untrue.

Moral of the story is, there are some people here who do know what they're talking about, and many others who don't. I wouldn't use A-R as your primary source for advice on.. well, anything really... but it's definitely worth using as an extra source. Ask for advice on A-R, and continue doing research and asking advice elsewhere.

I've also got a 19" Acer LCD monitor. This is my fifth year with it..still has zero stuck pixels. My 24" Samsung only has one.

Daemon

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
Nick, that's a bit unfair. I think between Angry, Kalgon, Angelis83lt, and myself, most any answer can be reliably found.

As for Acers, I find them barely tolerable on the best of days.

Since they use a very cheap screen, you get excessive bleedthrough. Put up a very dark background on your desktop and you'll notice it getting lighter at the corners. While all LCD screens suffer from this, none are as bad as TD LCD screens. This is the screen that Acer uses.

This image shows what I'm talking about. Look at the upper left and lower right.

Colors are also faded, and not as stark. You can get an ok image out of them if you play with them (more on this in a minute), but buying a good Samsung monitor will always beat it.

They can be a bitch to get the colors right. The included settings in the monitor make it next to impossible, and it usually requires 3rd party software to do it all. I've never seen an Acer that let you set black, white, and grey levels on it. Speaking of greys, most of them struggle mightely with dark greys, and usually just make it black way too soon.

I guess if you are ok with mediocre picture quality they are ok, especially considering the price, but I refuse to buy any more. I have 3 23" Acers in eyefinity right now. My 27" Samsung on my media pc blows them away.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:52:15 PM by Daemon »

angry hampster

• Administrator
    • Lexa Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
Agreed Daemon that cheap Acers are subpar for bleedthru and depth of color/blacks.  I have mine calibrated with a Spyder3 Pro, alongside a 24" Samsung.  Both calibrated, the Sammy is noticeably more crisp and vivid.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »
Right, but you get what you pay for, and the argument against Acer is that they fail often.

My Acer definitely has the issues described by Daemon, but when I'm playing a game or watching a movie or whatever, I never notice it... so, for the price, I'm happy with it.