Author Topic: PT Cruiser quirks?  (Read 1987 times)

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
PT Cruiser quirks?
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »
A few days ago, my family acquired a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser. It was my grandfather's, who sadly passed away before Christmas. My dad works in Manhattan (ConEd) and gets there by train, but the day my grandpa went to the hospital, he took the subway to Brooklyn, and my grandma gave the keys to the Chrysler to my dad so he could get home. It sat in our driveway since that night, and we finally got rid of the crummy 94 Sentra when we got the title a few days ago.

It's a Limited model, all the bells and whistles, leather, etc. My grandpa lived in Brooklyn his whole life, so he never left the area much. It only has 38K on the clock. Any issues I should look out for? Known problems to expect?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:37:52 PM by [ChaosweaveR] »
-Chris-

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe

JD

• Ambitious, but rubbish
Re: PT Cruiser quirks?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
Stupidly wide turning radius for a car its size :lol:

Chrysler products aren't known to be the most reliable, but in the same breath, I've never heard any common issues with them. :)

Quote from: meatywand
Mr. Bagged Milk Maaaaahzda. :lol:

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:29 AM »
At the rate my mom's gonna be driving the PT, she drives a max of 6 miles a day.

I checked the fluids yesterday, coolant, power steering, brake fluids look pretty clean. Checked the trans after running for 15 minutes and in neutral, a tad low, but bright red. I know they only use ATF+4. Engine oil was a light brown, but I planned on putting fresh oil in anyway.

Aside from the body being somewhat haggard from Brooklyn street life, I'm surprised how well maintained the PT looks mechanically despite my grandpa's declined conditions over the past few years.
-Chris-

NovaDK13

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
not sure how close they are but my girlfriends neon I think has the 2.2 Ive put in 2 cam sensors in the last 35k and one rear brake locked up but other than that the 129000 miles have been fairly eventless. Oh and the car confused me when it seamed to have a bad miss but turned out to be the plugs, even though I replaced them around 100k.

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I've been nosing around for more info...cam sensors seem to be a common quirk, but acess to the sensor is easy.
-Chris-

NovaDK13

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
I've been nosing around for more info...cam sensors seem to be a common quirk, but acess to the sensor is easy.
not that easy first time I lost one of the bolts that never fell to the ground, the second time I replaced it I was in a Murrys parking lot in MO the coolant lines that go over it are very warm to say the least.

[ChaosweaveR]

• lol Vtec
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:32:18 AM »
not that easy first time I lost one of the bolts that never fell to the ground, the second time I replaced it I was in a Murrys parking lot in MO the coolant lines that go over it are very warm to say the least.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind. :)
-Chris-