Author Topic: Filthy Seats.  (Read 1858 times)

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
Filthy Seats.
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
I knew my back seat appeared a bit discolored, but it just didn't look all that bad.

We were really slow at the shop yesterday, so I figured it was a good time to remove the seat and run the steam cleaner over it.

It was much, much dirtier than I expected.

The section on the right had one pass with the extractor after a lite scrubbing with a light cleaning solution. Now that I know how clean it CAN be, I proceed with the rest of the seat.

This is the water I sucked out of the fabric:

Mind you, I keep my vehicles clean. I vacuum regularly, wipe down the dash or detail when needed, and I don't haul around dirty things without taking precautions. I'm guessing a lot of this comes from driving with my windows down, but I'm sure the stains came from the previous owner.

The pic I took after the first try with the extractor didn't turn out at all, but it wasn't satisfactory. It was better, for sure, but there were still dark spots, especially in the seams.

So I pulled the fabric off of the foam completely.

From there, I draped it over an empty 50 gallon barrel, sprayed it down with a carpet shampoo, gave it a lite scrub, and very thoroughly rinsed it out with a garden hose. The water coming off it was pretty dirty.

I then draped it over a shopping cart (it randomly showed up on our lot one day, so now it's a drying rack in my wash bay, lol) and left a fan on it over night.

The result (after I pulled it back over the foam and seat bottom):

Looks brand new. I also did this with the seat back, and once I have time, I'll be doing it with the front seats as well.

No odor left behind, not even of the cleaning supplies I used. Looks absolutely brand new, and I'm much happier with the way my interior looks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:18:07 PM by 00XJ »

Delta

• Torquemada 71
Re: Filthy Seats.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
Looks great Nick. You are lucky though, at the time I'm stuck with a giant 20gal Shop-Vac and some APC. Get's it done, but nothing like an extractor.
2017 VW Golf GTI - 6spd
2015 Toyota Camry SE
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD

Caryn

• Super Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
Holy hell that came out nice. People are nasty when it comes to vehicles. I am so glad our rear seat didn't look even so much as touched.
  Go take a sugar-frosted FUCK off the end of my dick.

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
Looks good.

Those seat covers are washing machine safe. AMC started that in Jeeps and it stuck through the end of the TJ. Use non scented detergent and toss the seat covers in the wash. I will be doing my Comanche bench cover in a few weeks and will wash in some water proofing stuff from Bass Pro so crap will bead up instead of soak in to the fabric.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »
Looks good.

Those seat covers are washing machine safe. AMC started that in Jeeps and it stuck through the end of the TJ. Use non scented detergent and toss the seat covers in the wash. I will be doing my Comanche bench cover in a few weeks and will wash in some water proofing stuff from Bass Pro so crap will bead up instead of soak in to the fabric.

Yeah, that was my original plan, but I figured I'd just give the garden hose a shot, and sure enough...

I sprayed on our Fabric Protection crap, it's like Scotch Guard I guess. I'm very good about no spills, but accidents happen... like the time I dumped an entire AMP energy drink in the drivers seat of my 77 Cutlass :lol: