Author Topic: Can I sandblast. . .  (Read 2329 times)

NovaDK13

Can I sandblast. . .
« on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
Aluminum wheels? I got an extra set for my ranger 2 are ok the other have bad corrosion going on, I was thinking about just doing a quick paint job to make them at least decent looking. They dont have any bad pitting or anything yet but figured I have a sandblaster a little etching primer and a few quarts of paint from the honda I never did anything with. Any ideas on something fairly quick and easy for removing corrosion and clear coat?

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Re: Can I sandblast. . .
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
Aircraft Stripper will pull the clear off of the wheels. Follow that with some sanding around the corrosion and you could easily apply primer and paint with good results.

Media blasting would work okay too. I blasted some Jeep wheels to remove whatever the previous owner did to them so I could polish them up. The blasted surface would be well suited for priming and painting.

MiniVanMan

• Carnage Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
You can sand blast anything if you're good at it. Our wheel repair guy sandblasts aluminum wheels but I'd imagine there's a lot more to it than that.

Might want to see if you can dig up a "how to" on teh googlez.

NovaDK13

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »
How much odor does the stripper give off? I never even looked but would a home improvement place sell it? Only problem with me sandblasting is it gets everywhere so Id have to make some sort of make shift blasting area in my basement with cheap plastic sheathing. 

87Warrior

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »
How much odor does the stripper give off? I never even looked but would a home improvement place sell it? Only problem with me sandblasting is it gets everywhere so Id have to make some sort of make shift blasting area in my basement with cheap plastic sheathing.
Basement??!!??  :eek: I would not sandblast inside living corridors. Hell, I wouldn't sandblast in a garage unless you have a cabinet  :lol: That's your decision though. I would use tarps, not painters plastic sheets to make a 'booth'.  There should be no real trick to blasting the aluminum if you want the surface lightly etched for paint to stick to. A fine to very fine grit should work well. I used, Black Diamond (coal slag, the typical cheap media) 40/60 grit combo that I reused from blasting my Comanche frame. Picked some up from Tractor Supply and other at a smaller farm store. I have also tried corncob and walnut shells with about the same results as the used coal slag.

The aircraft stripper can be found at most auto parts stores. It works slow, but good. It has a very strong smell.

NovaDK13

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:36 AM »
yea maybe i'll try the stripper in the garage first on the really bad one and sand see how it works.

Sentry

• I'm going nowhere fast...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »
Walnut shells, bro.

92 Aristo - Borg S366, QSV, AEM V2, 12 psi - 410whp 360ftlbs
84 SVO - FMIC, straight piped, chipped/tuned LB3, 15 psi - 202whp 238ftlbs

Joshua

• Muffler Men Do It Till They're Exhausted
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
Walnut shells, bro.

BINGO!

Sand is too abrasive for aluminum. It'll chew it up.

A plastic blasting media would work as well, but may be pricey.
...and either quite drinking or quite posting because you're going into some sort of weird AMERICA 1776 FUCK YEAH mode.

NovaDK13

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
BINGO!

Sand is too abrasive for aluminum. It'll chew it up.

A plastic blasting media would work as well, but may be pricey.
yeah cheap being the key, I spent 60 bucks for all four so cheap will be the plan  ;D I picked up aircraft stripper and paint and hopefully get them stripped and prepped this weekend.